Slightly dangerous emergency breaking

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
blenny

Post by blenny »

I absolutely love the car and we use it all the time for travel distances short and far. Everything about it has been a pleasure.

The one issue that we have had is unwanted emergency breaking, For example when staying in lane at about 60 miles an hour going past a car that was turning right, I.E.the ID3 thought that we were going to crash into a car despite that car having its own dedicated lane for turning right.

The resulting sudden breaking is dangerous as totally unexpected. Luckily we didn’t have anyone close behind us. At same time it seems good feature for genuine emergencies.

We had this happen a few times. What is best way to handle it?

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

This has happened many times to me as well. It's so bad that I wonder if it will cause an accident when someone slams into the back of me as I safely try to pass a car turning on a slip road. Very dangerous when travelling on a dual carriageway or motorway.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I have only had mine since Wednesday, so haven't done a great deal of miles yet, or experienced any unwanted emergency braking.

I did get the warning on the dash and the ID light flashing red to tell me to brake as I passed a parked car, does this happen before the emergency braking kicks in?
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

This is an old screenshot from an earlier software release but the settings should still be there to adjust the advance warning level (accessible from the Assist settings).
It has four settings, Early, Medium, Late, and Off

04EC2A66-380E-463E-8D3F-4718AD8ADCE2_1_105_c.jpeg

VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
blenny

Post by blenny »

To earlier comments
- not quite emergency breaking, more sharp breaking
- also happens when passing parked car but doesn’t happen if you have indicator on as you ‘overtake’
- I don’t want to switch off emergency alerting, but not have it cause an accident when passing car turning right, or parked car

If there’s not a simple override (tap accelerator? Haven’t has chance to try it) it’s an accident waiting to happen. In which case there should be a way to raise with VW more directly.
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

This is not just a VW problem. I have had similar instances of my previous car, Kia Niro, braking automatically when passing car turning right.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Haven't had any emergency braking. Had the visual and audible warnings, but first thing I did when I got the car was set it to late.

I also have the lane assist set to remember I switched it off, so it stays off (OBD11 tweak), as I hate the way it twitches the car back towards parked cars you're driving wide to avoid. Its only useful feature seems to be allow idiots to text and drive on the motorway. It's a requirement for NCAP 5 star ratings now - not to trust drivers to be able to keep a lane on their own.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

How do you set the lane assist to remember you've switched it off I have to turn mine off every time I get in the car and its a real pain in the proverbial
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:43 am How do you set the lane assist to remember you've switched it off I have to turn mine off every time I get in the car and its a real pain in the proverbial
Doing some long coding with an "OBD11" device. There are lots of options to tweak on VAG cars with these devices, but unfortunately the only one that seems to stick is the car remembering you turned the lane assist off. I was also hoping to get the car to remember you left the wing mirrors on L so rear dipping happens every time and see if the "1 zone climate on Life/Pure us just software impairment needing activation" myth was true - didn't get either of those to work.

TimF

Post by TimF »

I had a similar experience during a test drive (of a Zoe, not ID3). Driving along a fast country road, I was approaching a gentle right-hand bend. There is a minor road at this bend which goes straight ahead, with "Give Way" lines across the exit, where another car was waiting. As I started to turn the wheel, the dashboard flashed red and there was momentary braking until the car was no longer pointing at the other vehicle. A bit of a shock at the time, but I worked out later on what was going on.

I suspect that, like the lane-keeping system, this attempt at automated collision avoidance is part of Euro NCAP.

All goes to show there's a (current / practical) limit to just how "smart" a smart car can be?
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Hi Blenny,

I may be wrong but I think perhaps, if you didn't have any flashing red warning lights, what you experienced is not emergency braking but a function of Adaptive Cruise Control which prevents you from 'undertaking' a slower vehicle in an outer lane:

"If ACC detects a slower vehicle in the left lane (left-hand traffic: in the right lane) , ACC brakes gently within the system limits and can thus prevent you from overtaking inadmissibly. The function is active from around 80 km / h (around 50 mph) , but not available in all countries."

Either way, I agree it is a potential hazard. How 'gentle' was the braking? Did you have ACC on at the time?
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Happens a little too frequently for my liking,. Driving along the motorway at a steady 120 and the car breaks to reduce speed to a database point where it thinks the speed limit was 80, which it probably was years back. I notice this most on newer motorways or where there are new junctions.

In general, for me, the database the car is using for such data is very out of date.

Fortunately a quick tap of the foot gets you back to speed but it's a pain.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anduain wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am Happens a little too frequently for my liking,. Driving along the motorway at a steady 120 and the car breaks to reduce speed to a database point where it thinks the speed limit was 80, which it probably was years back. I notice this most on newer motorways or where there are new junctions.

In general, for me, the database the car is using for such data is very out of date.

Fortunately a quick tap of the foot gets you back to speed but it's a pain.
Not sure whether it's the blame of databases. In my experience, while on the motorway doing 70mph, the camera's will read a 40mph sign up on the sliproad you didn't take and try to slow you down to that, if you don't intervene and dab accelerator to override.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I would have agreed with you but on the drive from Madrid to Barcelona yesterday (120km/h) aircon to 21.5, outside 31, miles per kw/h (3.9) it braked on 3 occasions on open road.

I’ve had it do as you describe when it sees a sign on the slip as well as brake for me for an exit I’ve decided not to take when the GPS is running.