First EV, what to go for?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Zobware

Post by Zobware »

Hi

I’m taking the plunge and getting an ID3. I’m looking for you advice on what trim to go for? I have narrowed down to Family Performance Pro with no added options in Moonstone grey to get Government grant or the Tour S again no added options but no grant :-(

Most of my driving is local and probably no more than a few miles each day. Occasionally I’ll need to do a round trip of 200 miles and perhaps once a year a longer trip so would need to use chargers. I’ll be using my company car scheme to purchase on 4 year contract and includes all servicing and insurance.

Family Pro Performance = £309 per month
Tour S = £403 per month

I like the idea of the Tour S but is it worth nearly £100 extra per month for the extra equipment and mileage?

Appreciate it S personal choice but wondering what thoughts are on the two trims?

Thanks, Zobware

Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

Hi, The extra battery capacity in the "Tour" is not worth it. Your first consideration should be "It's a car" make sure you get those features you rate highest. I have the Pro performance 58Kw "Tech" spec and I'm very happy with it. I rate the HUD, the more powerful motor, various assistance packages. I lack the twin zone A/C and high capacity battery and do not notice this. Charging is the most noticeable change in your day to day running of an EV compared to an ICE, I've completed runs from Northumberland to Bury St Edmonds (280 miles) without stress or strain, it just needs planning. That's the biggest challenge you will have, an extended run needs planning with Zap-Map & ABRP, practice will release you from any care.
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I would have thought your two target trims were either Family or Max. For your outlined use I don’t think the Tour range will be worth it (my use case is different to yours!)

So I’d have said the Family was a no-brainer unless you want to go Max which actually has more kit than the Tour!

Just don’t forget you’ll need to put alloys on it at extra cost if you don’t like the steel wheels and hubcaps.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Greenman14

Post by Greenman14 »

I just bought an ID3 Family Pro Performance. I don’t do many long trips but my first experience with public charging points wasn’t great. You need to plan and accept that longer journeys- > 180 miles need some planning, and you do need a Plan B i case your chosen charging points are out of service. And load up with charging point apps, especially ZapMap. The ID3 has less in the way of equipment (toys) than the C class Merc it replaced but I don’t miss them. What would bug me would be harsh crashing ride quality but I find the ID3 ok, though it’s no magic carpet. Also it’s no petrol head’s wet dream in the handling department but that doesn’t bother me either.
Zobware

Post by Zobware »

Utumno wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm I would have thought your two target trims were either Family or Max. For your outlined use I don’t think the Tour range will be worth it (my use case is different to yours!)

So I’d have said the Family was a no-brainer unless you want to go Max which actually has more kit than the Tour!

Just don’t forget you’ll need to put alloys on it at extra cost if you don’t like the steel wheels and hubcaps.
Unfortunately the Max trim is not available on our company car scheme, all other trims available which is a bit weird as probably would have gone for it.
Zobware

Post by Zobware »

Greenman14 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:02 pm I just bought an ID3 Family Pro Performance. I don’t do many long trips but my first experience with public charging points wasn’t great. You need to plan and accept that longer journeys- > 180 miles need some planning, and you do need a Plan B i case your chosen charging points are out of service. And load up with charging point apps, especially ZapMap. The ID3 has less in the way of equipment (toys) than the C class Merc it replaced but I don’t miss them. What would bug me would be harsh crashing ride quality but I find the ID3 ok, though it’s no magic carpet. Also it’s no petrol head’s wet dream in the handling department but that doesn’t bother me either.
Thanks, if I’d have to plan for a 180 mile trip I might consider the Tour as don’t want to have to stop to recharge on my 200 round trip, don’t mind on the long journeys once a year from Kent to Carlisle but not on the more regular journeys
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Zobware wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:31 pm
Utumno wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm I would have thought your two target trims were either Family or Max. For your outlined use I don’t think the Tour range will be worth it (my use case is different to yours!)

Unfortunately the Max trim is not available on our company car scheme, all other trims available which is a bit weird as probably would have gone for it.
What trims are available to you? Max wasn't mentioned but Tech wasn't available anymore so they let me order that
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

If you don’t want to stop on that 200-mile trip even in the cold of winter it has to be the 77kWh Tour, but that’s a lot of money every month for an occasional trip.

I would change my expectations, go for the 58kWh battery and accept that those journeys in winter would have to include a splash and dash before I got home.