ACC performance/experience

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Driving with ACC, where it automatically detects the speed limit I get fairly frequent (momentary) messages Speed Limit Exceeded. I would not expect the automatic system to ever exceed the speed limit set.

I have commented elsewhere about the delay of the ACC driving off after it has brought the car to a full stop in traffic. I have tested this further and the delay is so long that the car in front has driven off and disappeared round the corner and the car behind is honking. At this point I lose my nerve, take control and drive off. Could this be a fault on my car? Or how i have my settings? When the ACC stops the car there is a messages saying ACC ready (or words to that effect). Have others experienced this delay?

Another thread commented on unexpected/heavy braking. I find it gives me unexpected acceleration, for example speeding up on bends or entering a roundabout, when I would normally slow down. This is quite disconcerting.

Thanks as always for any comments.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.

roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

ENEMUK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:48 am Driving with ACC, where it automatically detects the speed limit I get fairly frequent (momentary) messages Speed Limit Exceeded. I would not expect the automatic system to ever exceed the speed limit set.

I have commented elsewhere about the delay of the ACC driving off after it has brought the car to a full stop in traffic. I have tested this further and the delay is so long that the car in front has driven off and disappeared round the corner and the car behind is honking. At this point I lose my nerve, take control and drive off. Could this be a fault on my car? Or how i have my settings? When the ACC stops the car there is a messages saying ACC ready (or words to that effect). Have others experienced this delay?

Another thread commented on unexpected/heavy braking. I find it gives me unexpected acceleration, for example speeding up on bends or entering a roundabout, when I would normally slow down. This is quite disconcerting.

Thanks as always for any comments.
I disabled speed limit warnings very early on in ownership since at that time the software had miles/kms confusion so a 30 mile limit warning would trigger at 19mph

To Disable Speed Limit Warnings
Press the Assist button. Touch on the Road Sign (1) to bring up Dynamic Road Sign Display screen. Select Speed Warning Off — this is a persistent change.

When stopped in traffic I see the same message ACC ready but for mine the car sets off ok. I do not think there are any specific settings for this, unless you have the ACC distance setting at a very long distance somehow.

On unexpected braking that is usually since the car satnav had an incorrect limit (perhaps an intersecting road), or the camera has read a sign for a sign . You might want to try
disabling Speed Limit Preview for ACC: Press the Assist Button. Touch on the Car in Front on the road. This will bring up the ACC screen. Select Speed Limit Preview to toggle off — this is a persistent change. In this mode you the driver are then in charge of the speed setting, noting that ECO behavior for automatic braking still works fine.

On speeding up, this for me happens if I lose my nerve and dab the brake thereby disabling ACC when its braking.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Disabling speed limit warnings makes a huge improvement. It’s worth saying as well that the ACC is pretty much the same as that developed across the Vw family of cars - so it’s been around and tweaked etc for a good few years. Falls into the tried and tested category etc…
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

ACC is Adaptive 'Cruise' control.. you shouldn't be using it negotiate junctions or roundabout situations it's not Automatic driving.
If you follow a car to a roundabout the ACC will slow down as the car in front does, but if the car in front goes for a gap then the ACC will follow it and potentially leave you with someone buried in your drivers door. Or if there is no-one in front it will just continue to drive on anyway, again regardless of traffic coming around the roundabout as it won't have detected it.

Likewise, it does like to reach the speed limit so using it on minor roads with a national speed limit, the car will try and get to 60mph, which is rather disconcerting at times.
jhg

Post by jhg »

ENEMUK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:48 am
With ACC activated the car will only restart automatically if the car in front moves off within a few seconds, otherwise the ACC Ready message disappears and you will need to tap the accelerator to restart.

In models with Travel Assist, when Travel Assist rather than ACC is activated, the car will move off automatically as long as your hands remain on the steering wheel (i.e. no time limit).
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Thank you all for the good advice. I don't have Travel Assist, so the mystery is solved!
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

jhg wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:20 am
ENEMUK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:48 am
With ACC activated the car will only restart automatically if the car in front moves off within a few seconds, otherwise the ACC Ready message disappears and you will need to tap the accelerator to restart.

In models with Travel Assist, when Travel Assist rather than ACC is activated, the car will move off automatically as long as your hands remain on the steering wheel (i.e. no time limit).

If the system is anything like the one in the old Tiguan you can press RESUME on the steering wheel to take off as well, rather than dabbing the accelerator, travel assist or not.

The front radar detects movement and tapping resume immediately turns the ACC system on so the car follows immediately.

Hugely useful as an alternative to moving foot between brake and accelerator all the time in stop start traffic or at lights- you can do it all from the steering wheel.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
jhg

Post by jhg »

Utumno wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:37 pm
If the system is anything like the one in the old Tiguan you can press RESUME on the steering wheel to take off as well, rather than dabbing the accelerator, travel assist or not.

The front radar detects movement and tapping resume immediately turns the ACC system on so the car follows immediately.

Hugely useful as an alternative to moving foot between brake and accelerator all the time in stop start traffic or at lights- you can do it all from the steering wheel.
Yes, that's an alternative I forgot to mention, though in slow moving stop/start traffic with ACC there is no need to be constantly moving your foot between brake and accelerator unless you think the ACC won't brake in time.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus