Charging cable length?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Hello all,
As I have only had the car for a week and zero experience of public chargers, and am thinking of getting another type 2 to type 2 charging cable, would it be wise to get a 10 metre length, or is it not worth it?
Thanks

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

We've only used a Type 2 cable a couple of times over the last 8 months, most of the AC chargers have been tethered and not more than 5m, so probably 10m would be unnecessary.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

CCS chargers are all tethered.
Unless you are using a lot of 7.4kW chargers out and about I would say it was a total waste of money? Do you have a home charger?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 am CCS chargers are all tethered.
Unless you are using a lot of 7.4kW chargers out and about I would say it was a total waste of money? Do you have a home charger?
We do have a home charger. And in my infinite wisdom, we got an untethered Zappi, so my thinking was to leave the existing cable at home and get another for travelling. I think I made a mistake and should have got the tethered charger. But I was trying to preempt the possibility that in the future a different car might have a different charger socket.

Just an an aside, why oh why did VW not provide somewhere to store a charging cable in the car?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:59 am
We do have a home charger. And in my infinite wisdom, we got an untethered Zappi, so my thinking was to leave the existing cable at home and get another for travelling. I think I made a mistake and should have got the tethered charger. But I was trying to preempt the possibility that in the future a different car might have a different charger socket.

Just an an aside, why oh why did VW not provide somewhere to store a charging cable in the car?
Ahhh. that's a slightly different picture. I think the cable locks into the Zappi(?) so you'd be turning it into tethered and I guess would need another. I have only used mine once at a Costco charger and to be frank the amount of charge I got from a 7.4kW charger in the hour or less I was shopping wasn't worth the effort.

Mine is stored in the tool slot under the boot floor and I think others have done similar. Initially I kept it in between the two floors but I tried running with the floor lowered for a while and so rewound it to fit in the slot.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 am
Scratch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:59 am

Ahhh. that's a slightly different picture. I think the cable locks into the Zappi(?) so you'd be turning it into tethered and I guess would need another. I have only used mine once at a Costco charger and to be frank the amount of charge I got from a 7.4kW charger in the hour or less I was shopping wasn't worth the effort.

Mine is stored in the tool slot under the boot floor and I think others have done similar. Initially I kept it in between the two floors but I tried running with the floor lowered for a while and so rewound it to fit in the slot.
Costco have EV chargers now? Main car park or petrol station? I will have to check out Gateshead branch.

But you're right. It's a PITA to get your lead out for 20-25 miles range when Octopus Go is coppers at home on your tethered charger.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I've used my Type 2 cable twice in 11 months, both in the first 3 weeks just testing public AC chargers - never used those types of chargers since, never used the cable since, it's in an already dusty bag in my garage.

I have a tethered home charger, and only use DC chargers when I need to.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am
Costco have EV chargers now? Main car park or petrol station? I will have to check out Gateshead branch.

But you're right. It's a PITA to get your lead out for 20-25 miles range when Octopus Go is coppers at home on your tethered charger.
Think that's them.. Makes sense, you have to connect up and then ask one of the tyre fitters to switch it on. (and off) which adds to the hassle at the one I use. BUT Free electric is free electric.

CostcoGH.PNG

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:39 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am

Think that's them.. Makes sense, you have to connect up and then ask one of the tyre fitters to switch it on. (and off) which adds to the hassle at the one I use. BUT Free electric is free electric.
OK, looks and sounds like it's outside the tyre fitting bay. Slight PITA if you need to ask a busy fitter to switch it on. Not sure if I can be arsed for 5kWh in the 45 mins I'm generally in there.

Presumably the tyre fitter is confirming you are a member before you use it?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I have the 5m VW gave, but like all phase 3 cables it is heavy
I am looking for 2 or 3m one as they are lighter and I never use more.
There are 3m ones on amazon, probably get one soon

I also have an untethered zappi, so thinking of keeping a 3 metre one constantly plugged in. Need to find some kind of wall keep.
Anyone done this and found any nice kind of wall box or cable winding post ?
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674