Unlock using key seems inconsistent

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Mine is the same. Unlock is pretty much random, with either key. Can be impossible to either lock or unlock, (depending in lock status) for a few seconds. Perhaps as long as 15 sec and the thought of “will I be able to unlock (or lock) this vehicle starts to form befor the key works and a sigh of relief.

It is definitely not one click to unlock driver and two to unlock the rest. Much more random than that. Charging cable often stays locked in, even after all doors are unlocked with the key.

Sort of not a big deal… but never had a car with flakey remote unlocking before. It has always been rock solid.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.

ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

ENEMUK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm Mine is the same. Unlock is pretty much random, with either key. Can be impossible to either lock or unlock, (depending in lock status) for a few seconds. Perhaps as long as 15 sec and the thought of “will I be able to unlock (or lock) this vehicle” starts to form befor the key works and a sigh of relief.

It is definitely not one click to unlock driver and two to unlock the rest. Much more random than that. Charging cable often stays locked in, even after all doors are unlocked with the key.

Sort of not a big deal… but never had a car with flakey remote unlocking before. It has always been rock solid.
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

I have a Max, and have found that the unlocking doesn’t respond to the fob immediately. Usually only use it when I want to remove the charge cable and that requires two unlocks to release. It’s a bit worrying when you stand there pushing the button and nothing happens. Another software glitch for VW to fix?
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jonty0560 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 pm I have a Max, and have found that the unlocking doesn’t respond to the fob immediately. Usually only use it when I want to remove the charge cable and that requires two unlocks to release. It’s a bit worrying when you stand there pushing the button and nothing happens. Another software glitch for VW to fix?
You can set the key to open drivers door on 1 press and everything on the second, or you can set everything on 1 press (convenience opening). You do have to set for both keys though, the setting is with the key, not with the car. Both our ID3s (Life and Family (if you don't wait for keyless with a grab of the handle) respond immediately. Low battery on your fobs or a glitch on yours?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Not sure if this is an ID thing or just VW locking, On a previous Golf Plus, EOS, Golf Estate, Tiguan and now ID.3 (one rear door seems reluctant to open with the others) - No matter what settings all have had random door opening moments.
My Wife's current Golf is set to open Driver on 1st click and everything on 2. 2 Clicks and Drivers door, rear door and boot unlock.. needs a 3rd click to open passenger door every time. (No explanation offered by VW)

Interesting about the key holding the setting though, does that mean you have to put both keys into the tray to sync after changing the setting?
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

ENEMUK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm Unlock is pretty much random, with either key. Can be impossible to either lock or unlock, (depending in lock status) for a few seconds. Perhaps as long as 15 sec and the thought of “will I be able to unlock (or lock) this vehicle starts to form befor the key works and a sigh of relief.

Sounds to me like you’re in fault territory there. At least I know what to expect from mine*, and I haven’t experienced any issues at all with door unlocking.

* That’s a slight overstatement - I can’t entirely predict whether the boot unlock will need one press or two, but two is the worst case, and that generally after the car has been left locked for a while.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

CoalPorter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am Sounds to me like you’re in fault territory there.
Thanks will put in on my (small) list of issues to discuss with dealer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've experienced the same issue not being able to unlock the boot. Very random as too when it works. Has anyone come up with a solution?
Bigbaddom3

Post by Bigbaddom3 »

Did anyone get a resolution for this?
Happened to my wife yesterday and it wouldn’t open for 10 minutes and she was stood in the rain.
phixion

Post by phixion »

Mine is doing the same, just my main key though, the other key works fine.

I just got back from VW and they changed the battery in my key, got home, pressed lock 3 times before it actually locked.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've never had any real issues with the lock/unlock on mine but recently every time I got in the car I got a warning that the key could not be detected. I'd changed batteries not long ago so was puzzled. After a week of this issue I realise dthat I had recently put a 'Neutradol' Air freshner iin the car and it was actually sat in the forward cup holder. (Where the Ke sync logo is). This gel freshner is in a metallic like plastic package and after removing it the error has not reoccured.
All a bit anecdotal but might be something in it?