Scheduled charging - EV app or car?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

First post on here, been lurking and am impressed with the knowledge, and helpful attitude, of the forum members. About to collect a pre-reg ID3 Max and have a slot booked for an EV home charger installation via Octopus.

The charger we've chosen is the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Reading reviews of the apps for the various chargers, there seems to be a pretty even spread of poor reviews: no one charger stands out as being much better or much worse, especially given the likely cohort bias of those people who bother to post on the Google app reviews. In other words, all of the apps seem to have....issues.....

So, my Q: it seems I can schedule my charging using either the ID3's system or the Wallbox app. I'd be grateful for any views/comments/advice please on what would work best, or indeed any hints and tips on using either strategy or combination of both. Thanks
id3 Max 2021

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scheduling via the car doesn't work, it's not currently a reliable option.

"Scheduled Charging" is discussed in many threads.
SinglePointSafety

Thanks G43FAN - was hoping that the latest ID3 software might have addressed some of these issues
id3 Max 2021
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I used the car charge timer for the first time yesterday and didn't have a problem.

I set my home location for charging, then set the timer for a 7.50am departure and 80% charge limit and it was spot on when I set off this morning.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I’d not recommend relying on the car at all. It will fail you when you most need it. Manage charging from your charger until they fix the software.
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

I've got a Wallbox charger, and it charges the car fine on a timed charge. I don't think their app is particularly intuitive though, but I did manage to get it set in the end.

Also tried using the car timer. It worked, but seemed to charge slowly. According to the Facebook id3 UK Owners Group - very useful - this is a known fault.
SinglePointSafety

Thanks everyone, I did indeed try and read as many posts as I could find on this, but couldn't quite extract the info I needed. So I will take the advice, use a simple schedule via the Wallbox app (to benefit from Octopus Go tariff) and ignore the ID3's software until such time as it proves to be reliable and/or the Wallbox app can't do something I need which the car software claims it can do (and unless things change drastically, a simple schedule is likely to suffice). I hope the Wallbox app can reliably cope with my simple needs....
id3 Max 2021
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

With regards to the latest update, I don't think 2.3 when it arrives will repair the car scheduled charging from what some of the First movers have reported.

I think most of the common chargers have been seen to manage schedule charging well enough to make the car scheduling redundant currently if charging to 80%. The car charging seemed to imply you could charge the car to say 100% for a specific time in the day to coincide with you leaving for work etc. This has failed in a variety of ways for different people meaning it can't be relied upon.

I am quietly confident that should I need to have a scheduled 100% charge at some time I could use the Zappi app to achieve this, I haven't actually done this to test it and I think some maths will be needed to work out the schedule timings. (and an element of luck).

I believe the issue is to do with VW not letting chargers see the car's SoC so it's difficult to schedule to a particular percentage charge, needing you to work out how much charge is needed and how long that will typically take and schedule accordingly. (Not ideal)
SinglePointSafety

Thanks - I guess that the ID3 will at least reliably respond to the charge % slider in the infotainment system (normally set at 80%, amend to 100% before a long journey) and then just use simple scheduling on the Wallbox app (and, FWIW, Android version was updated yesterday)
id3 Max 2021
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:39 am Thanks - I guess that the ID3 will at least reliably respond to the charge % slider in the infotainment system (normally set at 80%, amend to 100% before a long journey) and then just use simple scheduling on the Wallbox app (and, FWIW, Android version was updated yesterday)

FWIW this is exactly my current plan - schedule on the charger and limit on the car.

Denying OCPP data access to external providers is a dick move by VW, and one that I suggest might well be more technical than spiritual. The user would need a way to authorise and revoke external provider access within VW's servers, and as anyone who has had a VW for any length of time will attest, their servers appear to be run by idiots.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

idiots with their eyes closed, hands tied behind their backs and in a different data centre.