8 week ownership thoughts.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smuj

Post by smuj »

Wow; all that to say you won’t be getting an ID3. Not sure why you are on an ID3 forum tho’. Your wife maybe.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

smuj wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm Wow; all that to say you won’t be getting an ID3. Not sure why you are on an ID3 forum tho’. Your wife maybe.
I'm paying for it and recommended it to her. So, I need to know information and this forum was useful.
I'll pay for the charger too! Am I wrong to seek information?

We don't have to live in a bubble and do not all have to think EV save money and ID.3 is purchased to save money, or ID.3 is the best thing since sliced bread.
Alternative views should be able to be expressed. My wife wanted a Golf replacement. ID.3 seemed ideal and the lowest cost EV with a decent range and Golf size.
The Life is a similar spec to her old Match DSG. She opted for Family.

The point I make for very many people EV do not save money at all. Pay back time is years for average mileage and could even be never.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Please, everyone, stop feeding the troll.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I don't disagree about green credentials, certainly not at point of manufacture anyway (considering mining for batteries). At point of use, the more you use them, the more they redeem themselves in CO2, although even then it has to be conceded that an average of 40% of our electricity is done through burning fossil fuels. I know I'm not saving the world with my ID3.

I do think that the whole dieselgate litigation is a crock (seems that you're looking to cash in). For me, we're not a bunch of litigation crazy Yanks. No- consumer has been left out of pocket by owning one of the emissions scandal cars. How do you compensate non-losses with litigation?

1. The publication of the issues didn't adversely effect residuals of those cars - I should know, I had 4 VAG TDIs in the period touted by the lawyers on telly, and every one had a healthy p/x or resale price around 15% higher than GFVs.

2. The whole overstatement of green credentials is the reason your car has £20 VED and not £160+. You've benefitted from the issue in that regard.

For me, if you haven't been left out of pocket, there is no litigation. The DVLA has greater claim to sue for loss of VED on falsely low CO2 ratings. Those litigation claims are a variant of ambulance chasing.

Stop-start tech was the biggest fraud here. The government sanctioned an official test cycle that saw 24% of the 11 mins sat doing nothing, and the engine turned off with the tech. That was nowhere near representative of real life. A 50mpg diesel without stop start didn't suddenly become a 65mpg diesel with stop start added in the real world.

I do disagree with your comparing a low powered life Golf to a much more powerful and better equipped ID3 Life. By that logic you can compare a £16k 115ps UP GTI to a £33k 245ps Golf GTI and say they're comparable because they both have a GTI badge.

Battery size vs tank aren't really comparable either. Tanks sizes are generally shrinking in ICE cars. Range is relative to not only size, but performance. My old 2018 Polo GTI+ had a realistic range of 280 miles on a full tank, a 58kWh ID3 has a realistic range of 240 mixed miles In Summer, not a million miles apart. That range isn't exactly inconvenient unlike the first gen Leaf.

EVs dearer to insure than their ICE counterparts? The biggest factors in car insurance premiums attributable to the car itself (all other things being equal, like driver attributes, postcode etc) is safety tech. Things like ACC and driver assistance really push down premiums. For me, when I swapped my MK7 Golf GTD for the R, the premium difference was £8 (both had ACC, and both were about 25% cheaper than the Scirocco 170TDI that preceded the GTD).

Swapping my A4 Avant 40 190TDI with no ACC (£374pa) for my quicker ID3 Life with a whole host of driver aids with ACC? £292. I have had full NCD for about 15 years, so no changes in my credentials recently. Same story with the wife swapping the Polo GTI (which has ACC too) for her ID3 Family - 10% saving. So paying more for insuring an EV is not my experience.

I name no assumptions as to the original purchase price of your BMW. I could assume that it was now over 5 years old from what you said about skipping oil changes etc (nit a good idea, even at low mileage, I would do them myself out of warranty).

Chances are, you'd be pushing the luxury VED threshold on RRP if buying now and copping for £475pa in the process.

The price differential between buying a new car and running it 9 years, risking out of warranty big bills and going through multiple sets of brake pads/discs, tyres, maybe a battery and shocks usually isn't that much cheaper than buying the same car every 3 years and not having to buy all those consumables that will last 3 years and won't last 9 years, plus the potential for a big out of warranty bill. Buying a new car, no matter how it is fuelled, the biggest cost is depreciation.

Buy at a good discount and sell when it's still worth decent money. VWs generally hold their value well. If you can buy at 80-85% of RRP and sell at 3 years old for 55-60% of RRP and you're laughing. You are also never running a car older than 3 years old rather than a 9 year old car with old tech.

My Golf R bought new cost me £230 a month in depreciation (Cost £28k, sold for £17300 after 46 months, it had a 5 year warranty). Thanks to the current bubble in nearly new cars, our Polo GTI+ cost me a staggering £143 a month in depreciation. Given the published GFVs for ID3 and good news generally about EV battery longevity, I expect the ID3 values to hold up well.

You talk about not chucking away cars before they are ready to die, yet advocate swapping older petrols for newer ones (why not diesels?). Diesels were still considered dirty after implementing DPFs due to NOx. So they got Adblue tech to neutralise NOx. Then people realised that all the new direct injection petrol tech checks out particulates too, so they need GPFs. Brake dust is under scrutiny now, and as regen minimise braking, that's a plus for the EV (Ihardly have any brake dust to clean off the wheels when washing the ID3). The ID3 captures it's rear brake dust in the drum brakes. Another plus.

You can't then deny that once on the road, EVs are a lot cleaner (no CO2 at the tailpipe (yes, some at the power station) , no NOx, no fuel particulates, marginal brake lining particulates, much reduced used of oils/greases in lubrication.

For that reason,no government is going to advocate a big subsidy to replace filthy old petrols with still relatively polluting newer petrols. It's not as if new petrol/diesel cars are going for buttons either when a 1.0 Focus or Golf is still over £20k - that's still way to much for Joe Bloggs who buys £5k 8 year old cars, even with a £2500 grant and does pretty much nothing for CO2 targets and particulate pollution.

You seem to have identified the ID3 as a car that does all the stuff and EV should do well, at a more reasonable price than some manufacturers - that's pretty much why I bought a £28k ID3 for me and the missus and not 2 x £28k Golf GTDs (and the fuel savings that go with the ID3)
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

"I do think that the whole dieselgate litigation is a crock (seems that you're looking to cash in). For me, we're not a bunch of litigation crazy Yanks. No- consumer has been left out of pocket by owning one of the emissions scandal cars."

Check how many people have had EGR failures since the software update. VW provided a 2 year warranty after the software update, but not a mileage warranty. Low mileage users had failures after the warranty period. VW wanted £1k to fix it. People were better off refusing the software fix. I hope VW have to pay a hefty fine and compensation.
Then worldwide , bar UK. recall regarding mechantronic, accumulator known to leak. VW want £2k to replace once failed. Australian government force VW to fix it.

I will be happy with £3k to £5k! I had to pay £2k to fix privately and 2 recoveries due to dieselgate,

VW reliability: 20th out of 30 in WhatCar survey. I hope ID3 proves reliable!

Compared to BMW I found VW a most unhelpful company to deal with.

What is the predicted ID.3 depreciation after 3 years?
Last edited by Cherry on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:42 pm Please, everyone, stop feeding the troll.
Wow, a troll because I do not agree with your views? Seriously, are you trying to no-platform.
The next thing you will say is I did not order an ID.3.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:38 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:42 pm Please, everyone, stop feeding the troll.
Wow, a troll because I do not agree with your views? Seriously, are you trying to no-platform.
The next thing you will say is I did not order an ID.3.

:roll:
Tesla Model Y Long Range

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

People doing low mileage shouldn't be buying diesels - the DPF will be under frequent regen as it won't get hot enough for long enough to burn the soot generated. Similarly, EGR butterfly valves seize up due to build up of gums and soot deposits that don't get burnt away on frequent short trips.

Software update or not, if you're doing a tiny mileage with a diesel, you are going to have bother with the EGR valve and DPF in the longer term
Modern diesels are crap on short journeys. When my wife had her A1 1.6TDI, she was lucky to get 40mpg on her 7 mile each way commute. When I swapped cars with her and started using it for my 20 mile each way commute, I could drive it like I stole it and still get 65mpg all day.

Petrols moving to DI for marginally better fuel economy are getting coking issues (BMW 1.5 units frequently used in Mini and 1 series being renowned for it) that were previously prevented with port injection washing the backs of the intake valves with fuel vapour.

GPFs are heading the same way as DPF for issues. Our Polo GTI+ had one and when that underwent regen, mpg took a huge dive (far worse than a diesel undergoing regen) - 35mpg ave became 20mpg under regen for a day.

If you want to burn fuel cleanly, with no CO2 or particulates, you need to go Hydrogen.

Mechatronics is a DSG box issue, nothing to do with engine software changes for a dieselgate fix. Those failures happen infrequently on petrols and diesels alike. They usually go in warranty and get sorted. Failures out of warranty are usually on the wet clutch variants and attributed to lack of maintenance (replacement of transmission fluid at interval to prevent the fluid becoming mildly conductive with worn clutch material and frying the mechatronics unit which is immersed in it).
BMW 2.0 diesels from 2006 are renowned for EGR valve parts dropping into the turbo and taking it out, just after warranty, with little to no assistance from BMW.

My Dad has a 2013 Golf GTD DSG and at 145k miles, it hasn't missed a beat. He's had a MK5 and MK4 Golf high performance auto.diesel for typically 180k miles before selling on.

Those out of warranty issues you talk about are pretty rare and most are attributed to poor maintenance (you're neglecting your servicing out of warranty) and low mile usage. You'd be nuts to buy a diesel when only doing 6k miles a year (or even 2k miles a year)., but people do.

Sounds like you've been lucky with your BMW and unlucky with the Golf.

Although I buy outright (taking PCP finance to get the deposit contribution and clearing immediately), I take notice of the GFV (guaranteed future value - at the end of 36 months) as an indicator to residuals. VWFS generally are very cautious with GFVs. The Life/Family is coming in at 50% of RRP before grant is taken into account. So that "£34k".Life has a GFV of about £17k after 3 years (last time I looked), so (under normal circumstances, not this current bubble) I'd expect an easy £18500 px at a VW dealership and around £19-20k selling to the likes of Motorway on average miles. I'd be more than happy to lose £8k-9k over 3 years in depreciation, having saved £3700 in fuel on each of the 2 ID3s we own vs our ICE cars we had previously. Obviously PCP comes at a higher monthly cost than buying upfront (about 1/3 of PCP payments at 6% is interest.

I'm not blind to the fact that EVs aren't perfect (range just getting good/price - not enough old cheap ones available), but in the pursuit of environmental excellence and fuel economy, recent advances in petrol and diesel cars have left them far less reliable than they used to be and far more sensitive to maintenance neglect - especially for low mileage users.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

WOW, Do you think RS6484 is still iwth us? All I ever really wondered was why they weren't getting a home charger?
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:28 pm People doing low mileage shouldn't be buying diesels - the DPF will be under frequent regen as it won't get hot enough for long enough to burn the soot generated. Similarly, EGR butterfly valves seize up due to build up of gums and soot deposits that don't get burnt away on frequent short trips.
DSG recall (except UK)
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volk ... 71053.html
The fault is known by VW - the accumulator cracks. Worldwide recall except UK.

The Golf was doing regular 35 mile school runs (there and back). Over 60mpg.
The dieselgate software fix caused extra work on the EGR and premature failure was reported by many. Many were replaced by the 2 year VW warranty. They omitted to tell users what the update would do. Lower mileage users would see failure after 2 years and VW would tell them to go away. VW have lost the first round in court and I hope they get hammered in the High court. A totally unethical company.

USA: EGR has a 100,000 mile warranty and in UK most EGR failures reported were well before this.

China: DGS has a 10-year warranty and there was worldwide recall on mechatronic, bar UK. As expected the accumulator cracked, oil leak and limp mode. It was a known issue due to poor manufacture and had the wrong oil type at manufacture.

Use a search engine and check what has been going on.
https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dieselgate ... ssions-fix

I too, took a PCP quote for the ID.3 and will cancel finance on the day of collection which now looks like 1st March (I see no point in a Feb delivery).
I would say the 58kw ID.3 is the lowest cost EV with a real world 200 mile+ range which can replace a Golf sized car with similar features (front and rear parking sensors were a must, not just rear as in other cars). Of the manufacturers the price premium of EV to equivalent ICE is the lowest (helped by the PCP scam). But, I still think there is a premium and in my case there is no pay back over an ICE. But, I accept the move is to EV is with us. I also beat DTD prices (after almost giving up). My last call came through. 2 days later DTD increased their prices! The timing was right for an ID.3. Of course the best time was when the grant was reduced. I suspect it will reduced again in April.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You can't blame poor warranty coverage purely on VW, all the German marques offer only 3 years warranty, yet we keep buying them because they're nice to drive, even though reliability is distinctly average.

We have the EU to thank for that. Unlike the US, Australia, South Africa etc, the consumer laws we have in the UK and EEA/EU don't do a lot to protect the consumer from premature failure of big ticket items. They're big on safety though. There's no obligation for the companies to put their money where their mouth is and provide decent drivetrain warranties, and no market forces in operation (boycott etc.) so they don't.

These companies don't want you to keep a car 10 years, they want you to keep buying them every 3 years. I'm sure only offering only 3 year warranties is part of the plan to get you to replace every 3 years for fear of a big out of warranty bill (as is incremental inclusion of new tech).

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:07 am You can't blame poor warranty coverage purely on VW, all the German marques offer only 3 years warranty, yet we keep buying them because they're nice to drive, even though reliability is distinctly average.

We have the EU to thank for that. Unlike the US, Australia, South Africa etc, the consumer laws we have in the UK and EEA/EU don't do a lot to protect the consumer from premature failure of big ticket items. They're big on safety though. There's no obligation for the companies to put their money where their mouth is and provide decent drivetrain warranties, and no market forces in operation (boycott etc.) so they don't.

These companies don't want you to keep a car 10 years, they want you to keep buying them every 3 years. I'm sure only offering only 3 year warranties is part of the plan to get you to replace every 3 years for fear of a big out of warranty bill (as is incremental inclusion of new tech).
The model of 3-year change may change for EV. I did not subscribe to it.

I can and do blame VW for not rectifying the known issue with the accumulator in the mechantronic and not recalling UK cars.
I also blame them for a software update that increases EGR load compared to the initial settings and causes premature failure due to their emissions scam.
I blame VW for not informing customers what the software update did and allowing users to make an informed decision whether or not to carry it out.
I blame them for not warranting the EGR to 100,000 miles (as in USA) as opposed to 2 more years after the software update (2 years is useless to lower mileage users).

I hope the High Court awards huge compensation and a second class action regarding the mechatronic is launched.
The Americans got it right with compensation an option of buy back. UK government is weak. Now UK has left the EU, make VW pay!

I think the law needs to be changed for a mandatory 6 year warranty on all new cars or assumption that a premature parts failure within 6 years is an initial fault and must be replaced. An EGR should not fail before 100k miles. The mechantronic accumulator should not crack. If Kia can provide a 7-year warranty, why not others?

Buying an ID.3 is irrelevant to the above! I ordered on 9 Sep 21 (quoted 20-23 weeks).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The class actions/Litigation I have seen advertised on telly (for VAG, MB, BMW, Mazda and Fiat group) and urging you to join are literally suing for compensation for having owned said cars, no mention of having been out of pocket as a result. The vast majority of people didn't have any failures out of warranty attributed to dieselgate, and there were no residual value implications.

As a result, people in the action are generally seeking compensation for having had no monetary loss.

Not only that, if you've owned car X sometime between time Y and time Z, they're saying that you have a claim. You could have individual cars with 3 or 4 owners between Y and Z, and the manufacturer could therefore be getting hit multiple times for the 1 car. So many legal things wrong there.

On that basis I think these actions have a very high chance of failure here in the UK, where we're very clear that damages are compensatory and no financial loss = no compensation claim.

Successful mass litigation like siung banks for unfair charges were successful because people had actually taken a financial hit.

Chasing specifically because you had failures associated with the fix that you had to pay for are justified, but I'm not aware of any group chasing through the courts on that basis in the same way as the TV advertised class actions for just having an emissions scandal affected car.

Drivetrain warranties could and should be better as they are elsewhere, but then service scheduling would need to be maintained also. When the obligation to have a service done to maintain a warranty is gone, its amazing how neglected some cars are (including yours, not had an oil change in over 2 years) - should the car companies be adding extended warranty to a car that isn't being serviced to schedule?

MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

My thoughts on home charger is that its a no brainer, assuming that the real range of the 56kw version is 200 mile for a company car il be able to claim 4 pence per mile (based on government advisory rates) for business miles so 200 miles would be £8, using home charge on octopus go at around 5p per Kw would be £2.80 for a full charge.
Most public chargers seem to be around 30p per KW so £16.80 plus connection fee, the pay back for me if the car is used regularly with home charger is really fast.
I currently have a diesal 2litre skoda superb which is costing a small fortune where 200 miles is around £20 plus the bik. Ill cover the cost of the home charger i bik savings alone over 3-4 months.
Just need vw to build the thing now.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:00 pm
When the obligation to have a service done to maintain a warranty is gone, its amazing how neglected some cars are (including yours, not had an oil change in over 2 years) - should the car companies be adding extended warranty to a car that isn't being serviced to schedule?
My BMW was put on a 2 year or 20k service plan oil change (long life). Why would I need to change oil if I had covered less than half of this in 3 years?
Should a car covering 2000 miles a year need a yearly service or oil change or annual service? I do not think so. ID.3 is a 2 year schedule .

But, as for the Golf, no way should the EGR fail as it did well below 100k miles and no way should a mechatronic accumulator crack (which was know to happen and a recall in many countries). The mechatronic oil is sealed. VW put in the wrong type in at manufacture.

VW deserve to lose and have lost the first round in the UK. The court case will be heard next year at the earliest. Why settle in US? VW should be subject to punitive damages.
It's no win-no-fee, so nothing to lose an satisfaction if one wins. It will put a smile on my face.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:00 pm When the obligation to have a service done to maintain a warranty is gone, its amazing how neglected some cars are (including yours, not had an oil change in over 2 years) - should the car companies be adding extended warranty to a car that isn't being serviced to schedule?

I thought Toyota did this quite well recently - they scrapped their 5 year warranty and replaced it with 3 years … but if you have an annual/10,000 miles service the warranty keeps rolling year on year until 100k miles or 10 years.

Obviously they’re reinsuring the risk, but it’s still very customer friendly. Unless of course you don’t get a service done in which case no warranty!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

MattgID3 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:03 pm My thoughts on home charger is that its a no brainer, assuming that the real range of the 56kw version is 200 mile for a company car il be able to claim 4 pence per mile (based on government advisory rates) for business miles so 200 miles would be £8, using home charge on octopus go at around 5p per Kw would be £2.80 for a full charge.
Most public chargers seem to be around 30p per KW so £16.80 plus connection fee, the pay back for me if the car is used regularly with home charger is really fast.
I currently have a diesal 2litre skoda superb which is costing a small fortune where 200 miles is around £20 plus the bik. Ill cover the cost of the home charger i bik savings alone over 3-4 months.
If a full charge is £2.80 on Octopus it maybe £5.50 on standard Econ-7,
For low mileage is Octopus worth it as day time rates may be higher? The standing charge is not low.
I switched away from Econ-7 to a single rate as my night usage was so low.
I plugged exact data in a spreadsheet and comparison site. I increased night time usage by 10% and then total usage by 10% and still a single tariff was lower cost for my profile.

Now the smart meters for a single tariff are not so smart as they do not give a night reading unless you have two rates, so one does not know what night usage is any more.
I am glad my smart meter install failed. I want to know my night usage and cannot with a smart meter on a single band tariff.

Now I have to revisit before the ID.3 arrives
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:00 pm When the obligation to have a service done to maintain a warranty is gone, its amazing how neglected some cars are (including yours, not had an oil change in over 2 years) - should the car companies be adding extended warranty to a car that isn't being serviced to schedule?

I thought Toyota did this quite well recently - they scrapped their 5 year warranty and replaced it with 3 years … but if you have an annual/10,000 miles service the warranty keeps rolling year on year until 100k miles or 10 years.

Obviously they’re reinsuring the risk, but it’s still very customer friendly. Unless of course you don’t get a service done in which case no warranty!
I think this is fair enough if their service charges are reasonable. Does it include EV?
This beats Kia. Am I correct that Tesla do not require a service for their warranty?

Same as boilers....10 year boiler warranty is not free, £70 a year cost for a service (£700 for 10 years). My 30 year old boiler has never been serviced. Repair when broken.
Pay back time to replace is never as confirmed by numerous gas engineers! May be I will forced to have an over-priced heat pump!
May be every person should be given a Carbon allowance. Those who exceed due to large houses or flights have to pay extra. Large houses may have to use EV and smaller can use petrol cars. How about a Carbon tax on everything above your free allowance?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a good move for the consumer when I heard through radio advertising. VW seem to be doing the opposite - I often used to buy the factory warranty extension to 5 years when buying a Golf etc new, but VW pulled it in 2018. Do they really lack confidence in their cars (probably not, Skoda and Audi continue to do it with the same parts used))? I'm assuming they think more people thinking to keep their Passat a little longer will now change at 3 years and not 5 with a warranty extension.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:22 pm
MattgID3 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:03 pm My thoughts on home charger is that its a no brainer, assuming that the real range of the 56kw version is 200 mile for a company car il be able to claim 4 pence per mile (based on government advisory rates) for business miles so 200 miles would be £8, using home charge on octopus go at around 5p per Kw would be £2.80 for a full charge.
If a full charge is £2.80 on Octopus it maybe £5.50 on standard Econ-7,
For low mileage is Octopus worth it as day time rates may be higher? The standing charge is not low.
I switched away from Econ-7 to a single rate as my night usage was so low.
I plugged exact data in a spreadsheet and comparison site. I increased night time usage by 10% and then total usage by 10% and still a single tariff was lower cost for my profile.

Now the smart meters for a single tariff are not so smart as they do not give a night reading unless you have two rates, so one does not know what night usage is any more.
I am glad my smart meter install failed. I want to know my night usage and cannot with a smart meter on a single band tariff.

Now I have to revisit before the ID.3 arrives
Octopus daytime rate on Octopus GO is still pretty reasonable at about 15p a kWh.(mine still is) when all the other big guns are now pushing 18p.

Even at 6k miles pa, that's 1500kWh pa (at 4 miles per kWh) that could be charged at either 5p each (£75pa) overnight or 3.5× that on the current tariffs. Will someone with a marginally cheaper daily standing charge and no overnight cheap rate save you about £250 overall? Almost certainly not, but you'll gave to do the sums. EDF has just launched an Octopus GO beating overnight rate, but standard rate is 23p per kWh - no thanks.