We Connect and Lane Assist

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
mish

Post by mish »

>>(Lane Assist active above 30mph not 40mph)

Instead of having to turn it off each time it would have been nice to just bump up the threshold to ~60mph. Feature request? Will probably never happen because of the EuroNCAP requirements.
Is it possible to turn it off via voice command?

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Neither approach would be compliant with retaining the EuroNCAP points. That said VW could make it easier to turn off for sure, and still retain the points. For example a customisable "driving" screen you could flip to where you could put "shortcuts" to your own mix of commonly accessed settings. Two finger presses would be compliant with EuroNCAP rules, and save you digging through a million menus.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

My wife's new i10 has lane departure warning and it is switched off by a mechanical switch on the dash a simple and easy way to do it and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to do it, VW have made it as awkward as possible to do
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Which will be one of the reasons the i10 has a 4 star not 5 star rating. Not being easy to switch off (or accidentally switch offable) is part of the 5 star qualification
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Thanks for answers and clearing up about NCAP regs. I have lane assist on my present car with ability to switch off via single button. The reason I switch it off is the recent cycle and two meter routes in Edinburgh causing lane assist to be almost constantly reacting to bollards and narrow lane markings - similar situation to beacon39.
Last edited by Gannet15 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Depends on your definition of easy , logical press of one switch which has to be held for several seconds as in the i10 or pressing a switch which doesn't work as soon as the ignition is switched on , then touching the screen 3 times to carry out the operation , I know which one I think is more logical and safer
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:48 pm Depends on your definition of easy , logical press of one switch which has to be held for several seconds as in the i10 or pressing a switch which doesn't work as soon as the ignition is switched on , then touching the screen 3 times to carry out the operation , I know which one I think is more logical and safer
That's the point, as already stated, NCAP have said that in order to receive a 5 star rating the lane assist has to be difficult to turn off. The safety aspect is not the way that the system is turned off, but that the system is so annoying to turn off that drivers don't bother to turn it off and therefore it remains on to protect the driver and others on the road from veering vehicles.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

gailjon wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:28 pm NCAP have said that in order to receive a 5 star rating the lane assist has to be difficult to turn off.

That's not quite true. This is a (very slightly paraphrased) summary of the situation:
From 2020 onwards, to be eligible for scoring points in ELK, the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button.
The fact it is difficult to turn off is on VW, not Euro NCAP. You just can't hit a button for a split-second to disable it entirely. VW could make this much easier for drivers to disable, but it does not care to. I don't know their motivations, just that they could do it if they tried.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I must be bored and having a slow day or both.. I read this earlier https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/05d9cd8c ... 0final.pdf and I am inclined to think VW only read the first part where it states. (Assuming this is what made it into legislation)

Regulation (EU) 2019/2144 requires (see Section 2.2.1):
o It shall be possible to switch off systems [ELKS] only one at a time by a
sequence of actions to be carried out by the driver
o The systems [ELKS] shall be in normal operation mode upon each
activation of the vehicle master control switch

If they had read it further they would have seen this bit -

2.2.1.2 The ELKS control shall be designed a in such a way that manual
deactivation shall not be possible with less than two deliberate actions, e.g.
press and hold on a button, or select and confirm on menu option.

The document also brings up the activation speed issue which implies (as does VW website) that it should be active over 40mph (ish)

Driving below 70 km/h occurs in urban environments with unclear lane markings
and thus a high potential for driver annoyance. Also speeds often fluctuate
between 40 km/h and 65 km/h. If lower end of speed range was 65 km/h, which
could actually be 60 km/h when taking safety margin into account, this could
cause much driver annoyance as the system would switch on and off as the
vehicle speed changed from 40 km/h to 65 km/h.
After discussion the following performance requirements were proposed:
 Active at least within the vehicle speed range between [70 km/h] and the lower of
[130 km/h] or maximum vehicle speed
 In the case that the vehicle reduces its speed from above [70 km/h] to below [70
km/h], the system shall be active at least until the vehicle speed reduces below
[65 km/h].
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Don't you think that NCAP should be concerned that most people won't wait for the computer to run up and will go fact be turning it off while moving and therefore not looking at the road which sort of negates the safety they are after
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Would like to bet that 'most people' just get in the car and drive it, and leave these controls well alone - which is the thinking behind the NCAP legislative process ie make it non-trivial to turn off so that it can't happen accidentally, or take it a step further, like VW, and actively discourage drivers from disabling it. People on this forum tend to be, how you say, slightly more cerebral in their appreciation of driving, the cars and associated technology, judging by the quality of the posts, so we're probably not typical consumers and/or drivers.

And following my own logic, VW should have made difficult to turn off LKA but trivially-easy to turn back on.

FWIW....Our other car is a MY21 Skoda and the Lane Keep Assist remembers the previous setting, and is a simple 2-button press to activate/deactivate. Regulations and safety philosophies are constantly changing....
id3 Max 2021
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Well said ⬆️⬆️⬆️
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:41 pm
FWIW....Our other car is a MY21 Skoda and the Lane Keep Assist remembers the previous setting, and is a simple 2-button press to activate/deactivate. Regulations and safety philosophies are constantly changing....
My ID3 operates like this now, turn it off and it remembers - thank you OBD11!

If only I could get the car to remember the last setting of the mirrors so it would dip the L wing mirror on reverse every single time!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565