Home charging?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I'm guessing the granny version of the Ohme is different because that has to be the least intlligent or useful piece of kit I have ever used.

epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 pm I'm guessing the granny version of the Ohme is different because that has to be the least intlligent or useful piece of kit I have ever used.
Why is that?
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I have just had a couple of days trying to get ours to obey the timed charge setting with a Zappi. The problem turned out to be a) my ignorance of how it was supposed to work and b) the Zappi manual isn't very well written. Having said that, in the end, Zappi technical help were excellent at sorting me out. Their app worked for setting the timers but there is a problem with it. It now seems that, on IOS, I am getting the Apple spinning pizza when I try to use it. Zappi technical support did allude to me that it was better to set the time schedule on the actual charger and not in the app. I suspect they know there is an app issue.
As regards the timers in the car, some say that it doesn't work but I have used it once and it did work.
Overnight electricity rates are great, if you can get them. We can't where we are. They need a SMETS2 electricity meter that communicates every half hour what your usage is. This needs to have access to a WAN (wide area network) and it doesn't exist where we are. I don't like to get political but to me it's another case of this government spouting all the right things and then not implementing them properly. Sorry!
We are in a slightly rural location but so what. Our broadband connection is fine, so why can't they use that? I gave up in the end, so I have to pay the standard KWh rate but it's still cheaper than fossil fuels.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

metcast wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 pm I'm guessing the granny version of the Ohme is different because that has to be the least intlligent or useful piece of kit I have ever used.
Why is that?
That intrigues me too. I don't have the granny charger variant, but I'm under the impression that it's the same slimline unit, but with a 3 pin plug at one end and same functionality with the app (tell the app what tariff you're on, decide if you only want to charge during the cheapest times, set the daily schedule and go.- plug In any time and it'll wait until the schedule or charging rate criteria is met).

If the granny charger isn't as intelligent, I would speculate that due to the tiny charge rare, its assumed that someone charging on a granny lead isn't fussy about what time they charge. I doubt that's the case though.

Are you using the granny charger with the app?

Glad I got an Ohme when I read about frequent scheduled charging issues with other chargers.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565