Should my Car have a Reversing Camera (and other things)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:43 pm Our car was checked by the dealer [Listers] but obviously not by VW! Several things missing from the car that were part of the Family spec. Our local Listers said it’s the only mis-built car they have seen from VW and they said they did a double take when they realised. Seems more than one unicorn car was built. Our car was built the first week of June.
Well, you effectively got a Life+ instead of a Family for a bargain, given you got another £4k off and when the difference between Life and Family is less than £2.5k.

If the paperwork says Family a few years down the line may be some people will not know it is a fake Family.

£4k off must have been a sweetener. You could order another Family and sell yours as a Life+ for a profit.

Go to a dealer and ask for a valuation!
Try Listers Coventry or Johnsons, Solihull or Parkway, Northampton. A valuation would be interesting.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Though you may have to then wait for another 6 months for delivery…
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am Well! This is exactly what happened with our Family. Missing the reversing camera, puddle lights, centre console high, two level boot and the keyless entry. Our dealership noticed that the camera was missing when they moved the car. We were told no items could be retrofitted. Anyone missing the camera should check all other expected features…
So what was the resolution?
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

metcast wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:11 pm
Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am Well! This is exactly what happened with our Family. Missing the reversing camera, puddle lights, centre console high, two level boot and the keyless entry. Our dealership noticed that the camera was missing when they moved the car. We were told no items could be retrofitted. Anyone missing the camera should check all other expected features…
So what was the resolution?
We were offered a new car (six months wait) or a discount. We took the discount because we couldn’t wait six months. We were told that none of the features could be retrofitted. We found a variable boot kit sold by a company in Germany (it’s a genuine VW part) but they won’t ship to the UK because of the red tape with export (Brexit strikes again).
ID.3 Family 58kw, 204ps, manganese grey, East Derry Wheels, bike prep.
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

Re the boot floor, I’ve ordered mine via my local VW dealer. £160 or there abouts.
I’m sure you should be able to haggle some sort of discount bearing in mind your situation.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am We were told no items could be retrofitted.
Well I ordered a dealer fitted reversing camera on my Life and it was delivered with dealer fitted reversing camera, said to be identical to the factory fitted item and I have no reason to doubt that.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

MotMot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:56 am Puddle lights is a really odd one as they’re standard on all UK spec cars. Keyless entry will be a hard one to retrofit…

As someone else posted - wonder if this was a car originally due for a different RHD market?
My husband wondered if it was a car that was foisted on us but I think it is the car they built just for us. It has bike prep which we ordered and isn’t added into many cars. I think they just made some monumental mistakes with it. Given all of this, I still love her. We called her Ida (the only German female name my husband liked out of a long list) and she already seems to have plenty of personality. Love being able to do a zero emissions journey to the local shop when it’s raining or I’m in a hurry (I always felt guilty about driving my petrol Audi a short distance).
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

:lol:
ENEMUK wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:47 am
Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am We were told no items could be retrofitted.
Well I ordered a dealer fitted reversing camera on my Life and it was delivered with dealer fitted reversing camera, said to be identical to the factory fitted item and I have no reason to doubt that.
:roll:
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

Iansjh wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:40 am Re the boot floor, I’ve ordered mine via my local VW dealer. £160 or there abouts.
I’m sure you should be able to haggle some sort of discount bearing in mind your situation.
Thanks for the tip. Which dealership did you use?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ha - I bought the board from a German website - thinking it was the kit. Still need to buy the plastic sides 😂
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

Re variable boot floor, ordered through my local dealer, Parkway in Northants. Two week delay because it’s on back order, but no issues with ordering it, and the fixing kit.
eeperman

Post by eeperman »

Just an update. Tusker, who actually own the vehicle, are liaising with VW for me. I have made it clear that I expect a correctly specced vehicle to be delivered and will retain the current one until the new one arrives. Ball is in their court now, but it has been handy having a leasing company doing the hard work for me. I suspect VW will try and offer a discount - will have to see how big it is!
I have to say I was a bit ambivalent about the reversing camera, but I have found the rear view so poor that I would consider it a required addition.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

eeperman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 pm Just an update. Tusker, who actually own the vehicle, are liaising with VW for me. I have made it clear that I expect a correctly specced vehicle to be delivered and will retain the current one until the new one arrives. Ball is in their court now, but it has been handy having a leasing company doing the hard work for me. I suspect VW will try and offer a discount - will have to see how big it is!
I have to say I was a bit ambivalent about the reversing camera, but I have found the rear view so poor that I would consider it a required addition.
The rear view might be poor, but the rear parking.sensors do an excellent job. If I had to have one over the other, I would take parking sensors over rear camera any day of the week. We have a Life and a Family, I hardly look at the camera when using the Family.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
eeperman

Post by eeperman »

Agreed, the sensors are great and I wouldn’t have a car without them. But after reversing out of a pub car park with kids and dogs running around, I think the camera would have been an extra level of peace of mind! Plus my neck and shoulders are bad enough without constantly swivelling….
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

eeperman wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:21 am Agreed, the sensors are great and I wouldn’t have a car without them. But after reversing out of a pub car park with kids and dogs running around, I think the camera would have been an extra level of peace of mind! Plus my neck and shoulders are bad enough without constantly swivelling….
If I were in your situation, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me if it meant a decent discount on the lase rate as resolution. Would you live with it at a reduced rate, or are you insistent on getting a replacement car? It's an odd situation to be in. If I'd bought a car that ended up as a misbuild, it would undoubtedly be a reject situation as I would not want the issues with trying to sell that on.

Funny how we've had a few misbuilds that are missing equipment but no-one here has said "oh no! VW have really cocked up, they put rear speakers in and a heat pump I didn't ask for!" :lol:

In that situation I bet the dealer would be hoping to charge you for those extras!

Kind of had that happen once. Me and my Dad ended up ordering a Golf GTD at about the same time - mine metallic black/manual, his Solid red/DSG.

Not long into ordering,I had a change of mind about the upkeep needed for metallic black and swapped to solid red. My order was supposedly amended. What actually happened is that they altered both orders. Despite me ordering a month before my dad, his turned up 6 weeks before mine - a metallic black DSG!

He was OK about the colour, but didn't want to pay for metallic paint he hadn't specced. They tried to get him to pay or cancel his order. It was one of the first GTDs in the country after he launch of the MK7. Eventually they relented and gave him the car at no extra cost following a letter of complaint to the dealership group head.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

eeperman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 pm I have to say I was a bit ambivalent about the reversing camera, but I have found the rear view so poor that I would consider it a required addition.

Thankfully it's not an either/or in terms of parking sensors and the reversing camera.

The camera is more useful to me than the sensors, they freak out too much when I reverse onto my driveway and get close to the small shrubs which we have down one side.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 am
eeperman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 pm I have to say I was a bit ambivalent about the reversing camera, but I have found the rear view so poor that I would consider it a required addition.

Thankfully it's not an either/or in terms of parking sensors and the reversing camera.

The camera is more useful to me than the sensors, they freak out too much when I reverse onto my driveway and get close to the small shrubs which we have down one side.
When reversing between the immovable brick pillars of our gate, I find the parking sensors bleep more intensely on the Family with camera than the Life without.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:01 am When reversing between the immovable brick pillars of our gate, I find the parking sensors bleep more intensely on the Family with camera than the Life without.

How odd :lol: