Should my Car have a Reversing Camera (and other things)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Puddle lights is a really odd one as they’re standard on all UK spec cars. Keyless entry will be a hard one to retrofit…

As someone else posted - wonder if this was a car originally due for a different RHD market?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am Well! This is exactly what happened with our Family. Missing the reversing camera, puddle lights, centre console high, two level boot and the keyless entry. Our dealership noticed that the camera was missing when they moved the car. We were told no items could be retrofitted. Anyone missing the camera should check all other expected features…
So have you rejected the car then or had some other discussion with VW?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am Well! This is exactly what happened with our Family. Missing the reversing camera, puddle lights, centre console high, two level boot and the keyless entry. Our dealership noticed that the camera was missing when they moved the car. We were told no items could be retrofitted. Anyone missing the camera should check all other expected features…

This would have been a straight-up car rejection from me, no question. I simply wouldn’t have tolerated this kind of mis-build or mis-sell.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Assuming we've discounted the possibility of a grey import knowingly sourced by the lease company, this is a situation where I'd be looking for a reduction in lease rates to live with the missing equipment, or reject (keep driving it until a replacement arrives).

If this is a genuine misbuiild then the PDI should have picked up the discrepancies at the time.

Can't help thinking that this car has been built without those bits due to parts shortages and sold as is.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

We negotiated £4000 discount on the car because of the missing items. We have to live without them and if we sell the car, we can’t really advertise it as a Family because it’s not. Initially they offered us just £2000 off and we told them no way! The alternative was waiting six months for another car!!
ID.3 Family 58kw, 204ps, manganese grey, East Derry Wheels, bike prep.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:27 am We negotiated £4000 discount on the car because of the missing items. We have to live without them and if we sell the car, we can’t really advertise it as a Family because it’s not. Initially they offered us just £2000 off and we told them no way! The alternative was waiting six months for another car!!
Who was your dealer? Seems quite incompetent to me if they did not do a inspection before release.
Listers?
Last edited by Cherry on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:05 am Assuming we've discounted the possibility of a grey import knowingly sourced by the lease company, this is a situation where I'd be looking for a reduction in lease rates to live with the missing equipment, or reject (keep driving it until a replacement arrives).

If this is a genuine misbuiild then the PDI should have picked up the discrepancies at the time.

Can't help thinking that this car has been built without those bits due to parts shortages and sold as is.
Does a variable boot floor need a chip? :D

After DieselgGate is this SpecGate? Are you seriously saying VW have deliberately built a different car to the official spec and not told the customer and attempted to shaft them in to paying for equipment that is missing?

Surely not!
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

Our car was checked by the dealer [Listers] but obviously not by VW! Several things missing from the car that were part of the Family spec. Our local Listers said it’s the only mis-built car they have seen from VW and they said they did a double take when they realised. Seems more than one unicorn car was built. Our car was built the last
week of June.
Last edited by Ruthf on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

My uncle was a "Sucker" "Looker" in the VW van factory in Hanover until he took retirement. His only job was to check each vehicle as it rolled off the assembly line for completeness. In particular those built on Mondays sometimes had interesting stuff missing, such as, you know, wing mirrors. In German we have the term "Montagsauto" for these cars.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

In Britain we have much the same thing - a “Friday afternoon car” 🙂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:43 pm Our car was checked by the dealer [Listers] but obviously not by VW! Several things missing from the car that were part of the Family spec. Our local Listers said it’s the only mis-built car they have seen from VW and they said they did a double take when they realised. Seems more than one unicorn car was built. Our car was built the first week of June.
Well, you effectively got a Life+ instead of a Family for a bargain, given you got another £4k off and when the difference between Life and Family is less than £2.5k.

If the paperwork says Family a few years down the line may be some people will not know it is a fake Family.

£4k off must have been a sweetener. You could order another Family and sell yours as a Life+ for a profit.

Go to a dealer and ask for a valuation!
Try Listers Coventry or Johnsons, Solihull or Parkway, Northampton. A valuation would be interesting.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Though you may have to then wait for another 6 months for delivery…
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

So what was the resolution?
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

metcast wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:11 pm
So what was the resolution?
We were offered a new car (six months wait) or a discount. We took the discount because we couldn’t wait six months. We were told that none of the features could be retrofitted. We found a variable boot kit sold by a company in Germany (it’s a genuine VW part) but they won’t ship to the UK because of the red tape with export (Brexit strikes again).
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

Re the boot floor, I’ve ordered mine via my local VW dealer. £160 or there abouts.
I’m sure you should be able to haggle some sort of discount bearing in mind your situation.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am We were told no items could be retrofitted.
Well I ordered a dealer fitted reversing camera on my Life and it was delivered with dealer fitted reversing camera, said to be identical to the factory fitted item and I have no reason to doubt that.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

MotMot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:56 am Puddle lights is a really odd one as they’re standard on all UK spec cars. Keyless entry will be a hard one to retrofit…

As someone else posted - wonder if this was a car originally due for a different RHD market?
My husband wondered if it was a car that was foisted on us but I think it is the car they built just for us. It has bike prep which we ordered and isn’t added into many cars. I think they just made some monumental mistakes with it. Given all of this, I still love her. We called her Ida (the only German female name my husband liked out of a long list) and she already seems to have plenty of personality. Love being able to do a zero emissions journey to the local shop when it’s raining or I’m in a hurry (I always felt guilty about driving my petrol Audi a short distance).
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

:lol:
ENEMUK wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:47 am
Ruthf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 am We were told no items could be retrofitted.
Well I ordered a dealer fitted reversing camera on my Life and it was delivered with dealer fitted reversing camera, said to be identical to the factory fitted item and I have no reason to doubt that.
:roll:
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

Iansjh wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:40 am Re the boot floor, I’ve ordered mine via my local VW dealer. £160 or there abouts.
I’m sure you should be able to haggle some sort of discount bearing in mind your situation.
Thanks for the tip. Which dealership did you use?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ha - I bought the board from a German website - thinking it was the kit. Still need to buy the plastic sides 😂