Dashcam installation in ID-3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Hi All,

Given the considerable investment involved in buying an ID-3 and the number of 'idiots' on the road, I am looking to install a Dashcam. However, it looks like there may be some challenges involved in doing that. Lack of cigarette lighter socket in the front being one, as well as the poor positioning of USB-C sockets for use with a Dashcam. I would imagine that the 12V battery in the ID-3 is also smaller than that fitted to a conventional Petrol/Diesel car, so I would need to make sure that the Dashcam powered down correctly when the car is locked.

Given the above, I was wondering what forum members have done to circumvent these issues and also what Dashcam members have chosen for their ID-3's. If you've found a particular UK company adept at installing the Dashcam in the ID-3, that too would be useful. I am in Berkshire.

Thanks!
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

There are a few threads on this already - have a look via the search is your best bet.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I currently have a Nextbase forward facing dash cam hard wired into my SEAT Ateca which I’m hoping my VW dealer will kindly transfer to my ID.3 when I eventually take delivery. Wasn’t aware of any 12V battery implications or issues on the ID.3 but I assume the dashcam will power up and/or down like it currently does(?)