New We Charge app in car - what is the point of it?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

The new We Charge app was successfully downloaded and installed to my ID.3 on Wednesday, and it seems to work well and if you select a charger and then 'navigate to' it immediately integrates with the car's Sat Nav and will route you to the charger. All good and always happy to have something new and for no extra cost.

I am wondering when I will need to use it though? I have completed several long distance trips from South West England to Scotland and vice versa, and the ID.3's Sat Nav has recommended charging points to me when I set the route, you are able to display alternative chargers to the one recommended, and you can select 'navigate to' on the one you decide to use. If you are using more or less charge than the car originally expected the Sat Nav adjusts its recommended charger automatically too.

Also, on shorter trips if you are running low on charge, the Sat Nav automatically recommends nearby chargers for you and again you can choose to select to navigate to the one you prefer.

The Sat Nav functionality could certainly be improved in some respects - the ability to filter by charger speed for example (which the We Charge app has) would be useful , buy I don't understand why VW have felt the need to create a separate app rather than improve the car's existing Sat Nav?

What do others think?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Nice to have it as an in-car option when using Apple Maps rather than the in-car nav.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I'm not convinced yet. Downloaded this morning, it seems like it's a copy of the map tab from the WeConnect Id app, which I don't use. I like the inclusion of in car navigation but it doesn't find several chargers in a 5mile radius of the car. It misses the swarco rapid, Tesco pod point and Instavolt rapid. The latter are relatively new so there may be a lag in the system but they are on Google maps. It also seemingly can't give availability of chargers that are not on their network. I'm sure it'll improve over time.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

It's a bit rubbish, but "only" because of its data - i.e. the chargers need to be registered with We Charge which the majority are not. Those which are already seem to display on the Sat Nav, so I don't really get the point. Nice UI tho, would like Sat Nav to use this!
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am Nice to have it as an in-car option when using Apple Maps rather than the in-car nav.
How does it work with Apple Maps?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

rikimaru wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 pm
scott28tt wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am Nice to have it as an in-car option when using Apple Maps rather than the in-car nav.
How does it work with Apple Maps?

It doesn't.

I just meant that I'm glad it's a separate app on the car and not only part of the built-in nav system.
ac3id.3

Post by ac3id.3 »

the We Charge app is mainly for people who have Paid for we Charge subscriptions and to locate charging location that have discounts with the plan.
ID.3 1st White