Ecotricity EV plus economy 7

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You can only transfer onto the Go tariff once they have the consistent readings from your Smart meter, they make it very clear that until then, you are on whatever tariff you signed up with. I had to sign up to a tariff 2p a unit more expensive than I was on and then got told that it could be 12 months before I could get a smart meter. I was about to leave them when, after having PV panels installed, we discovered that my meter was so old that any excess power caused the meter to run backwards.. (they couldn't change it fast enough then)

Once it was installed I still had to push them to acknowledge my smart meter was sending info as after three weeks of it being installed they were still saying they jad no electric readings. I pointed out that they had had Gas figures from the second day it was installed so that seemed strange. Later that day I was switched to the Go Tariff.

van

Post by van »

Utumno wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:07 pm
Ruthf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:01 pm Ecotricity has green electricity and is investing heavily in green gas too so that’s a big draw for me. Final price for economy 7 is 10.7p per kWh. Not bad and I trust Ecotricity’s environmental ethics and claims

Fair play to you. Far better to be happy with your supplier choice than chase the cheapest.
Ruthf take a look at GreenenergyUk and their Tide tarrif. 7.5p from 0000-0700 and much higher rates 1600-2000, will vary by location. Have been with them for 20 odd years because of their desire to sell only 100% green electricity and gas, which they do. All their gas is biomethane, not a carbon offset in sight!
Octopus sounds like they have incredibly cheap rates, but I wonder how long they can sustain that model? Sounds like new contracts are being charged higher tarrifs now?
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Out of interest I did a quick greenenergyuk quote for us here.

Get A Quote  Green Energy Tariffs  Renewable Energy Quote  GEUK.png

Some of those unit charges are a bit “ouch” and no sign of the 7p rate for us here. Shame, their mission I can get behind.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
van

Post by van »

I think it just goes to show how fluid the energy market is. My tarrif in my location was set in February and is fixed for a year or two. Any quote you get now will reflect current market conditions, hence it's misleading to ask others what they pay and expect to pay the same. The best deals are often fixed term and by definition not easily reproducible. Have to say that overnight rate you were quoted shocked me.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

van wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:44 pm I think it just goes to show how fluid the energy market is. My tarrif in my location was set in February and is fixed for a year or two. Any quote you get now will reflect current market conditions, hence it's misleading to ask others what they pay and expect to pay the same. The best deals are often fixed term and by definition not easily reproducible. Have to say that overnight rate you were quoted shocked me.

Totally agree, but equally I didn’t think there was a single “acceptable” rate on that rate card. The standing charge and the weekday peak rate were full-on “wtf” moments here!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

van

Post by van »

Guess I may be looking for a new supplier when this contract ends. Ouch!
(8-((
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
nunp

Post by nunp »

Quick update - just received an email from Octopus apologising for the miscommunication and confirming that as I started the onboarding process before the price increase on the 22nd Sept that they will honour the previous GO tariffs - I.e circa 15p Per KW and the usual 5p from 00:30 to 04:30. Needless to say I’m relieved and delighted - more importantly Octopus have sorted it.
van

Post by van »

ruthf - I came across this site (https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk/guide ... -costs-low) this morning which you may find useful as a comparison between different "EV" tarrifs. Not sure how current (!) they are but useful to see how your Ecotricity compares across a range of other offerings.
Happy hunting.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

nunp wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:34 am Quick update - just received an email from Octopus apologising for the miscommunication and confirming that as I started the onboarding process before the price increase on the 22nd Sept that they will honour the previous GO tariffs - I.e circa 15p Per KW and the usual 5p from 00:30 to 04:30. Needless to say I’m relieved and delighted - more importantly Octopus have sorted it.
Excellent news, glad my prophecies of doom and gloom were incorrect.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

nunp wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:34 am Quick update - just received an email from Octopus apologising for the miscommunication and confirming that as I started the onboarding process before the price increase on the 22nd Sept that they will honour the previous GO tariffs - I.e circa 15p Per KW and the usual 5p from 00:30 to 04:30. Needless to say I’m relieved and delighted - more importantly Octopus have sorted it.

Excellent news nunp! I'm assuming that's locked in now for 12 months for you ?
Tesla Model Y Long Range

TimF

Post by TimF »

Ruthf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:01 pm Ecotricity has green electricity and is investing heavily in green gas too so that’s a big draw for me. Final price for economy 7 is 10.7p per kWh. Not bad and I trust Ecotricity’s environmental ethics and claims
Fair point, but Octopus is also green, and does better in surveys of customer service / satisfaction. And it has a relationship with VW which gets one a welcome bonus and access to deals with Ohme.

We were with Ecotricity, but found their customer service poor, so looked around and picked Octopus (before discovering the VW/Ohme tie-ups).

If you're happy with Ecotricity, the difference in pricing probably isn't enough to justify a change, and - over the next few months - could easily change (but I've no idea what any company is going to be charging in six months' time, and I doubt even the companies have more than a vague plan).
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I find these claims hard to swallow at times. Currently 36.5% of the UKs energy is coming from fossil fuels. 39% from renewable and 23% from Other.
There are so many companies now claiming 100% renewable but I think 'How is that possible 100% of the time?'

https://grid.iamkate.com/
Ruthf

Post by Ruthf »

Ecotricity have their own infrastructure to generate green electricity which they feed into the grid.

Green electricity
Ecotricity was the first energy company to offer its customers green electricity. We started with one windmill in Gloucestershire and have carried on building new wind and solar parks around Britain. Whenever a home or business switches to Ecotricity for their electricity, they stop using fossil fuel to power their home and start using green energy.
Other energy companies have followed our lead, and today around 33% of the energy used in the UK comes from green sources. But there’s still a long way to go, and there are still fossil fuel power stations across the country, coughing carbon dioxide into the air. We want to stop that by continuing to build wind and solar parks as we grow, as well as exploring other ways of producing electricity sustainably.
Green gas
Across the UK, we still heat our homes and businesses using fossil fuels – mainly natural gas. About 1% of the gas we supply today is green gas from sustainable sources. The rest is carbon neutralised gas – we invest in carbon reduction programmes to cancel out the carbon burned.
This isn’t our ideal solution, and at first, we thought the best route was for the country to switch from gas to green electricity for its heating and cooking. However, we now see green gas as the way forward. We believe we can build enough green gas mills – making biomethane from grass cuttings – to replace natural gas in the grid. When the grass grows back, it absorbs the carbon dioxide created by burning green gas. Then we cut the grass and make more green gas, and the sustainable cycle repeats itself.
ID.3 Family 58kw, 204ps, manganese grey, East Derry Wheels, bike prep.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I'm all for green/renewable energy, I've invested heavily in PV myself and will be looking at a storage solution in the coming months, but my point is that these companies are claiming something that isn't strictly true.
Where are Ecotricity getting their energy from after 9pm on a still day? As for Green gas, 1% of their total supply is green gas the rest is natural gas, So in order to be 100% green they are offsetting which is my issue, it's not really green.
nunp

Post by nunp »

Utumno wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Yep confirmed for 12 months. Good timing on my part - just.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

nunp wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm

Nice. You'll probably have the cheapest electricity in the country ;-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

nunp wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm

Where are you in the country? Have you considered offering your cheap rate to others? :mrgreen:
nunp

Post by nunp »

Northamptonshire. There are a fair few wind turbines 10 miles up the road and a solar farm? Would that make difference? Can’t get this tariff now - 23p perKW if I signed now
TimF

Post by TimF »

A warning to anyone considering Ecotricity - their IT systems are suspect. For inexplicable (and unexplained) reasons, they still haven't registered the fact that I switched from them over a month ago. Emails from Ecotricity all have "no-reply" addresses, so one either has to use the website messaging (which, in my experience, doesn't produce any action) or telephone (which involves the usual presentation of multiple options and wittering about "experiencing high call volumes".

This has capped off a series of more modest incidents of poor customer service, and has made me even more pleased to have shifted to Octopus.

Of course, this is just one person's experience - Ecotricity has many very satisfied customers.