General 2.3 OTA rollout to start

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

BeesKnees wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:37 pm They'll be asking you to stand on one leg and sing the national anthem next.

Only after you've entered your shoe size in the app.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Success!

Now fully updated to 2.3, having managed to leave the car off charge, at >50% soc, with lights off, last night and just now.

As soon as 2.3 was complete I got two further updates through straight away, for digital manual and wecharge. Those went through without a hitch.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Jel wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:47 pm I have to say that this update is a bit of a joke. Expecting customers to make sure the car has over 50% charge but not allowing the car to be charging during the update and making sure the side light are off with good 4g signal, bla bla bla is ridiculous. I work in technology but I don't want to baby sit my car in the hope that the update installs okay.
It's not really any different to any Tech update like a phone for instance though is it. Apart from the not charging at the time but then it's not plugged into a 5v USB system. Shutting down applications that are being updated is pretty standard e.g. the camera system we know about, is the BMS software updated, maybe that's why you can't charge.

Can you imagine the internet if they didn't suggest this and people had bricked cars because 'No one told me it needed to be charged' or 'I wasn't supposed to charge it'
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

Got all 3? parts of the update yesterday, one after the other, and, apart from the first notification being the assist systems unavailable, they all installed smoothly and without any issues.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I hope VW will learn and make this a smoother process as they move forward.

Windows updates used to be awful - and now happen largely in the background - as you switch off or during hours you choose.

Hopefully the experience will evolve and become smoother for all.

Probably complicated here by the id3 having 23 ‘control units’ whereas your iPhone has one or two… and the mud from previous id3 software glitches has stuck…
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

It will be interesting to see if future updates are a bit more seamless - let's hope so.

The real gripe for me was that the car all of a sudden threw a load of assist system errors, while I was driving, with no prior warning.

This update is being pushed out to the masses now. There's such good information here (thanks everyone!) but there will be plenty of ID3 drivers who aren't active on the forum and would be even more surprised by this happening.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TheJimster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 pm It will be interesting to see if future updates are a bit more seamless - let's hope so.

The real gripe for me was that the car all of a sudden threw a load of assist system errors, while I was driving, with no prior warning.

This update is being pushed out to the masses now. There's such good information here (thanks everyone!) but there will be plenty of ID3 drivers who aren't active on the forum and would be even more surprised by this happening.
There was prior warning the email which you scrolled through to accept the update explained this would happen. There was no set Date or time given but once you'd accepted the update conditions laid out in the email this was due to happen.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

So I seem to have the 2.3 update now, but the WeCharge app has disappeared.
The first part of the 2.3 update, with the switching off of the assist systems happened on Wednesday.
The download of the second part happened whilst I was out driving yesterday, and the car told me install of this 91CA-82 update would start when I turned off the car, which I did when I got home.
Got in the car today and got a 'System update complete' message, but it referenced 91CA-86 (rather than 91CA-82) and said 'an Internet connection will be established briefly to complete the system update'.
No further messages since then - no updates showing in the System information - ID.Software 2.3.0 and Software 0910 showing in System Information.
So don't know if 91CA-86 has completed successfully or not, or what has happened to the WeCharge app.
Maybe it will sort itself out tomorrow - who knows.
Also got a couple of random, very brief, blue flashes of the ID light driving home today - no idea what that was about.
I think the car just likes to keep me guessing what is going on.
I have been critical of the WeCharge app on here so perhaps it's taken it away to punish me!
smac1968

Post by smac1968 »

TheJimster wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:10 pm Hi all

So it looks like my update to 2.3 is not going quite to plan! As reported in another thread, I got several assist system errors while driving home yesterday (with no prior warning), then shortly after that a notification popped up saying that a software update was available, asking me to confirm that I was happy for the software update to run after the car was turned off (which I agreed to). This certainly looks like it must be 2.3. I've already had the digital manual and wecharge updates.

But something now seems to have got stuck. Nothing happened overnight, though this morning I had an error message saying something like that the update had failed because the car was on charge.

All the assist system warnings were still there, though I spotted when I arrived at work this morning that the 'goodbye' screen was notifying me of a software update ready to be installed, which I approved, and got a message saying that the update would be installed when the car was switched off.

I checked again about an hour ago, and the assist warnings are all still there, and there's no notification of a successful update.

I would be very grateful for any pearls of wisdom from anyone who has had 2.3 updated successfully ota.

Thanks!
Similar issue to me, its the wife's car she accepted the terms to get the update, but i should have read the email myself. Didn't know that car had to have >50% SOC, car should have came up with a warning for this requirement. Only thing it said was to switch of side lights. Tried to plug car in, but go a red light at charge port, so disconnected. let part 2 update run overnight (last night) and this morning have system error, say update failed, contact service centre. warning triangle as well.. car drives okay. now don't know if t will update itself, contacted service centre and they didn't know, only suggestions was to bring it in...going to leave it for a few days and see what happens
ID.3 Life Pro Performance / Tesla M3LR / SolarPV+Battery / Myenergi Zappi/Eddi
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:41 pm
TheJimster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 pm It will be interesting to see if future updates are a bit more seamless - let's hope so.

There was prior warning the email which you scrolled through to accept the update explained this would happen. There was no set Date or time given but once you'd accepted the update conditions laid out in the email this was due to happen.

Spot on.
Deleted User 192

Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:04 pm So I seem to have the 2.3 update now, but the WeCharge app has disappeared.
The first part of the 2.3 update, with the switching off of the assist systems happened on Wednesday.
The download of the second part happened whilst I was out driving yesterday, and the car told me install of this 91CA-82 update would start when I turned off the car, which I did when I got home.
Got in the car today and got a 'System update complete' message, but it referenced 91CA-86 (rather than 91CA-82) and said 'an Internet connection will be established briefly to complete the system update'.
No further messages since then - no updates showing in the System information - ID.Software 2.3.0 and Software 0910 showing in System Information.
So don't know if 91CA-86 has completed successfully or not, or what has happened to the WeCharge app.
Maybe it will sort itself out tomorrow - who knows.
Also got a couple of random, very brief, blue flashes of the ID light driving home today - no idea what that was about.
I think the car just likes to keep me guessing what is going on.
I have been critical of the WeCharge app on here so perhaps it's taken it away to punish me!

If it says 0910 you have both parts of 2.3 successfully installed.

We Charge should now be offered as an additional update, some have had it the next time they used the car.
Deleted User 192

smac1968 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 pm
Similar issue to me, its the wife's car she accepted the terms to get the update, but i should have read the email myself. Didn't know that car had to have >50% SOC, car should have came up with a warning for this requirement. Only thing it said was to switch of side lights. Tried to plug car in, but go a red light at charge port, so disconnected. let part 2 update run overnight (last night) and this morning have system error, say update failed, contact service centre. warning triangle as well.. car drives okay. now don't know if t will update itself, contacted service centre and they didn't know, only suggestions was to bring it in...going to leave it for a few days and see what happens

Is the update still offered for installation on the “goodbye” screen?
smac1968

Post by smac1968 »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:31 pm
smac1968 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Is the update still offered for installation on the “goodbye” screen?
No it's not, and weird in the system information says software 2.3.0....but still warning triangle and message saying update failed....surely it shouldn't have started if required conditions not met to complete....bad software.
Deleted User 192

smac1968 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm No it's not, and weird in the system information says software 2.3.0....but still warning triangle and message saying update failed....surely it shouldn't have started if required conditions not met to complete....bad software.

Sounds odd, the 2.3.0 indicator suggests both parts installed successfully, maybe it’s the post-2.3 update for the We Charge app that has actually failed.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Spot on.
This is accurate and I appreciate you have also posted about this and are trying to be helpful which is to be applauded.
But just because VW said this would happen (several weeks ago), and you have posted about it, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good way of going about things.
If you were to design an over the air update process from scratch, not many people would think that displaying warning messages that some of the car's assist systems were not functioning whilst the owner was driving was a good way to notify the driver that an important software update was happening.
smac1968

Post by smac1968 »

Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Spot on.
This is accurate and I appreciate you have also posted about this and are trying to be helpful which is to be applauded.
But just because VW said this would happen (several weeks ago), and you have posted about it, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good way of going about things.
If you were to design an over the air update process from scratch, not many people would think that displaying warning messages that some of the car's assist systems were not functioning whilst the owner was driving was a good way to notify the driver that an important software update was happening.
totally agree, my Mrs accepted the update email, but i was driving and all of a sudden warning lights all over the place! How is this a right way to run out an OTA update. was the software developed by an apprentice!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

No update here, so I’ll reserve judgment until I’m put through it but some of the restrictions probably have valid reasons that are not shared.

But the experience described above, documented or not, are indicative of a vanilla lab design vs real life operations, despite the 1st Movers testing.

Ultimately I don’t care, so long as I get my car updated OTA, but they really need to make this work comfortably for non-tech folk in the future or they’ll be inundated with calls/emails/etc. unnecessarily.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Spot on.
I think you've got to the nub of it here. The behaviour we've seen was not well designed.

I wonder if the entire approach with requesting owners to approve the update via email was a workaround by VW, knowing that the assist systems would be disabled but without there being a technical solution for in-car notification.

I think that the smaller updates have all downloaded silently, but this one really needed to be preceded by a system message telling you that the latest software update is available to download now, reminding you that your assist systems will go offline as soon as the download starts, and giving you the option to proceed or postpone.
Deleted User 192

Which “smaller updates”? The only things that have been entirely silent are a new navigation database.
digital

Post by digital »

Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 pm If you were to design an over the air update process from scratch, not many people would think that displaying warning messages that some of the car's assist systems were not functioning whilst the owner was driving was a good way to notify the driver that an important software update was happening.
Agreed, and I don't understand why warning messages need to be displayed as they are when the update is simply being downloaded. How can a download stop the already installed software from functioning...?
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.