Speed limit incorrect

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

First off, I'm not sure where the ID3 gets its information for detecting speed limits. Is it the forward facing camera, or is it from the sat nav, or both? There is a long stretch of country road near us that clearly has the national speed limit. (60mph). the car detects this as a 30mph zone. No big deal but it would nice if it was correct.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Curious, what do Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze say?

I sometimes get this problem in places where there have been roadworks.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Welcome to VW. The cars gets the speed limits both from camera and sat nav.
I've currently got a Tiguan and since 2019 the sat nav updates have many speed limit errors. I did notice when I test drove the ID.3 it was better than the Tiguan but I'm afraid you will get these errors on some roads.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The ID.3 reporting country roads as 30mph has been reported previously and a lot of the roads I use the car shows 30mph. Doing much more is risky anyway to be honest so I don't find it an issue.
It gets it info from mapping software and the camera, although the camera recognition can be turned off.
I have found that it always slows to 20mph around schools whether there is a 20mph enforcement or not and there are a couple of points on routes I travel frequently where there have been changes in the speed limit (Years ago not recent) where the car pops up 60mph detected and promptly accelerates. I anticipate it and push the 'Set' as soon as it changes.
That said, coming home the other night there were overnight lane closures on the dual carriageway and the car picked up the 50mph then 40mph perfectly.
Last edited by G43FAN on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
de g.

Post by de g. »

I think there are inevitably going to be the odd discrepancy. As you drive under M62 J32A (M62/A1(M) interchange) it tries to drop to 50 as it recognises the lower limit on the various slip roads which are above the M62 mainline - not sure how things like that can ever be satisfactorily addressed really.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:18 am Is it the forward facing camera, or is it from the sat nav, or both?

Both, definitely.

The mapping data comes from this: https://wego.here.com/

The camera reads signage, helpful for roadworks and other temporary limits.

You can report issue to Here for the maps apparently.
ZappBadger

Post by ZappBadger »

Exactly this , There is a 60 limit near us which is only recognised as 30. Leaving our village it goes to 40 when it is signed but when it hits the National Speed limit signs it goes back to 30!!!
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

It's not unique to VW, my Mazda will be set to 60mph on the local A75 and then flag up it's 40mph, but we are not a lorry! Thankfully it isn't smart enough to do anything about it but flag it up. It picks up most speed signs, even if it is not for the road you are on!!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:06 am It's not unique to VW, my Mazda will be set to 60mph on the local A75 and then flag up it's 40mph, but we are not a lorry! Thankfully it isn't smart enough to do anything about it but flag it up. It picks up most speed signs, even if it is not for the road you are on!!
My Born flagged the speed limit up to 100mph the other week, driving down the A1/M1 from Newcastle to Milton Keynes, the ACC didn't try to get me up there though! Almost certainly a buggy kmph/mph conversion.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Nice! I'm sure the argument will be used in court soon - it wasn't me, it was the car, m'lud.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Holness29

Post by Holness29 »

M4 Saturday 6 Aug, Reading area Eastbound. Joined at Theale and 50mph suggested by ID3, although no actual restriction - I assumed that it was because we had left a local road at this speed restriction, and the A4 runs close ly parallel.
However it then switched to 100 for a period, as others have reported.
Only time either mistake has happened (so far!)
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I have never had it think the speed limit is higher than it actually is. Plenty of places and times when it thinks it is lower though.

There is an area by a school nearby where there is 20mph limit 'when the lights flash'. it picks up the 20mph and applies that limit all the time regardless of the status of the lights. Understandable perhaps but frustrating the 90%+ of the time it is wrong!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

The speed limits built in to the sat nav has been bad for 4 years now. The normal Discover sat nav is far worse. I did find the Discover Pro we have in the ID.3 is far better but still many errors.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus