Stop start engine button

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Gee

Post by Gee »

Hi
I am a new id3 owner, having only collected my car on Monday.
Up until yesterday, whenever I wanted to use the car, I simply unlocked it, turned the paddle to D (I think with foot on the brake), and off I went.
But yesterday afternoon, I got in the car, and turned the paddle, but nothing happened. I got out, locked and unlocked, etc but it still wouldn't respond. I was beginning to panic, but then I noticed the "Stop start engine" button on the side of the steering column, and that brought life back to the car.
Today I found it no longer needed me to press the Start, stop button. It just started with the paddle.

I cant find anything in the manual (although I find the online manual hard to use so maybe missed it), so would be really grateful to hear the purpose of the Start, stop button.

Many thanks, Graham

robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I used the button at first because that's what the sales staff showed me. Now I don't use it, however it is useful to switch on the functions while you are outside, i.e not in the driving seat.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Yossa

Post by Yossa »

Only way for a passenger to listen to the radio if there's no driver... The start stop button
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks - but why do I sometimes need to press it to activate the car, and on other occasions the car starts without it?
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Putting your foot on the brake once you've sat in the car will do the same job as switching on via the steering column button. Could it just be that sometimes you've managed to switch on using the brake?
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I find if you unlock the car but don't set off straight away as long as you've opened doors etc (e.g. packing for a trip) the car seems to shut down again and the screens have to be persuaded to spring back into life. I haven't tried using the Stop/Start button and have managed to engage drive but the screens are sometimes still blank until I move off.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks
Nice idea but I always press the foot brake before I try to start the car. I do it automatically as it was necessary on all the cars I have owned for several years.
I experimented with unlocking then leaving the door open for a while, but that doesn't seem to recreate the problem.
It's no longer a major problem now I know I can activate the car with the Stop Start button, but being the nerd I am, I would like to know what the button's purpose is, and why I am getting this occasional lack of response.
AtrixMan

Post by AtrixMan »

I always press the foot brake before I try to start the car. I do it automatically as it was necessary on all the cars I have owned for several years.

Same here!! Pressed the stop start button once when I first bought the car (didn't realise, I didn't need to), haven't pressed it since, have had the car for nearly 2 months.
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

Gee wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:25 pm I would like to know what the button's purpose is, and why I am getting this occasional lack of response.
Maybe it’s for occasions where you’d want/need the ignition on without being in the car. An example could be an MOT tester needing the headlights on to check alignment, or functioning of tail lights etc.

If they followed the normal process of getting in and pressing the brake, then as soon as they got out to check stuff the car would shutdown.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

You also need it if you want to use the power point in the boot, e.g. to pump up your tyres
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
AtrixMan

Post by AtrixMan »

That makes sense. I got my wife to sit on the seat and keep her foot on the brake to work the power point!!