How to stop being a free charging point?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

How much actual time would be spent charging and stayting on the property for the amount that has been estimated?

There's not a single friend of mine, or family, or neighbour, that wouldn't offer to pay to use our charger, even a fellow iD3 owner asked if we had a charger (seeing our car outside) and offered us breakfast in return for a couple of hours of charge.

This whole exchange is is entirely surreal to me.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I worked it out on the back of an envelope that at a minimum Cherry must have “freeloaders” every day for over 2 hours.

His 13 amp plugs must be considered COVID super spreader events 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

How many of us even know four other people with EVs, let alone have them regularly visit, let alone have them asking for free charging?
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Utumno wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:23 am

Hahah.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:23 am I worked it out on the back of an envelope that at a minimum Cherry must have “freeloaders” every day for over 2 hours.

Did you need a calculator to figure out this is just a weekend with 7 hours each day at peak time?
Happened again yesterday, but this time just 6 hours at peak time. Lucky, me!
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Chivers wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:26 pm Dear Cherry

I am surprised that some members of this forum tell you what they think you ought to do - without really knowing how it looks from your point of view.

I think there are at least two issues for you:
1. The cost of the electricity. Do you know what it could cost you? Maybe the cost of the electricity is going to be a problem for you. You might want to say so to them. Maybe saying that would be difficult for you.
2. The idea you "ought" to make your relatives' lives easier or cheaper because you can fit a wall charger. To me this sounds like a lack of respect for you and your home, and we cannot give you advice on how to deal with this as we do not know you and your situation.
3. Which charger to choose. I can say that the EO minicharger 2 tells me how much I have spent on electricity. It could not be used to force other people to pay me.

Do you think it would help you if you could pick a friend you trust - and ask them for advice?
If he hadn't wanted people's opinions he shouldn't have started the thread
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:06 am Anyone who thinks £2500 is petty can't be in the real world
Anyone who believes this thread can't be in it either.

365 days x 12 hours = 4,380 hours.

£2500.00 / 4,380 hrs = £0.57 per hour

£0.57 / 2.3kW (approx draw for a granny charger) = £0.25 per kWh (which is supposedly well above the price cap)

So in Cherry's fictitious world, he's either got a "relative" plugged in so often they are at their house more than 12 hours per day, every day, on average, or he's paying chronic rates.

Or making it up.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:44 am Given how nonsensical the question here continues to be, is it possible instead that underlying reasoning behind asking this question is less about other people freeloading and more about the homeowner profiting?

In other words would Cherry in reality like to set a rate of (say) £0.69 per kWh on his freeloading friends and family, and trouser the profit?

This might well mean in reality, based on Cherry’s maths, that Cherry could basically run his own EV charging from home for free, becoming a freeloader on his friends and family 😂
If someone is told it is 69p kWh and had to scan their card to charge I am sure this would be their last charge and they would learn to pay to charge at fast chargers.
The cost would hit them and register.

Many people do not think what charging costs at peak time as they don't pay. It is like stealing from an insurance company with a false claim. They are blind to the cost.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

sausageroll wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am
Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:06 am Anyone who thinks £2500 is petty can't be in the real world

£0.57 / 2.3kW (approx draw for a granny charger) = £0.25 per kWh (which is supposedly well above the price cap)

So in Cherry's fictitious world, he's either got a "relative" plugged in so often they are at their house more than 12 hours per day, every day, on average, or he's paying chronic rates.

Or making it up.
You missed the point. I was referring to costs when I get a wall charger and not a 3-pin charger. These will charge much quicker and incur costs quicker.
Yes, I am on the government cap as my supplier went under.

What is the charge cost for a typical ID3 at peak time on a capped tariff with a wall charger? What about a Tesla or other extended range EV?

People who visit do so for 6-8 hours on average for a day trip and sometimes, overnight and charge at peak time.
What are your calculations?

Remember, you do not know personal circumstances (as someone else pointed out).
Could it be people are visiting an elderly relative or friend and charging each time, or some other reason?
Could it be illness? I do not need to tell you what the situation is and whether the number of visits will increase to many days a week.
I was merely looking to see if any wall chargers were set up to only work via a card and cards could be billed.

I understand this is not a scenario that affects to you. It does not mean others are not on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Why not, just not bother to respond to the post, if you simply want to make assumptions and seek to insult?

N.B. No one who charges at my home has an ID.3. They have more expensive cars with higher battery capacity (Some have £100k Teslas) except one person who has an BMW i3 which is cheaper to charge due to lower battery capacity. Do not make the assumption they are all coming to visit me.
There are many people in this world who are extremely wealthy and seldom put their hands in their pockets. It would not occur to them that they should pay £15 to charge as its peanuts to them. They also may think to offer to pay £15 is insulting. They know the other person would not accept. It is cultural.
Last edited by Cherry on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Cherry wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:00 pm
sausageroll wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am

Or making it up.
You missed the point. I was referring to costs when I get a wall charger and not a 3-pin charger. These will charge much quicker and incur costs quicker.
Yes, I am on the government cap as my supplier went under.

What is the charge cost for a typical ID3 at peak time on a capped tariff with a wall charger?

People who visit do so for 6-8 hours on average for a day trip and sometimes, overnight and charge at peak time.
What are your calculations?

The costs are consistent. The cost to charge a car is the same, but it just achieved quicker.
For example, at 20pkwh on an ID3, from absolute 0-100% it would cost around £9 (45kWh x £0.20), or £11.60 for a 58kWh (58kWh x £0.20). Neither of these are realistic to be regular, as you'd normally expect more than 0%.

For your £2500 that would work out as fully charging just over 23 cars per month. Have you thought about getting a revolving front door whilst you're at it? Even then, when do you get the chance to charge yours. And why do you need a quicker charger yourself, if you're clearly never out in your car with all these visitors.

If you want to be taken seriously, you would need to detail what these kWh charges are, and why you can't say no to people, or indeed why you've turned your house into a Premier Inn. If it's only on weekends, you're suggesting you are spending £48 on other people charging every weekend - which means even on an extortionate 50p/kWh you are providing 96kWh every weekend, of which there's not enough hours possible to do so at "peak hours" with a granny charger (it would take 42 hours to provide 96kW at 2.3kW per hour), and you're basically otherwise "expecting" to fully charge two guest cars every weekend at that extortionate rate, or 4 at even the capped rate. Total nonsense.

Let's assume it's all true - don't get a wallbox, and tell visitors that your 3 pin plugs can't handle being constantly used to charge EVs, or just say no. I don't buy this rhetoric that you can't say no, but you can somehow pretend that you can provide a service at 60p/p/kwh and pretend that you can't override this
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

I mean you have two options either man up and ask them to pay or pay it yourself