EO Mini Pro Charger

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SilverID3

Post by SilverID3 »

Hi Guy's,

Has anyone any experience of the EO Mini Pro charger and an ID.3 ?

https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-pro-2

I have limited wall space on which I can mount a charger, and that looks like it is small enough to go on pillar next to garage door.

anyone else recommend a nice compact charger ?

Ta.
Family Pro Performance. East Derry Wheels, Scale Silver - Ordered 11th Oct 2021

Estimated Handover: April 2022

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I have EO. Nice and compact and trouble free for one year. The so called "smart" app that so many of these chargers come with is pretty basic though and not that smart It allows you to set charge times for your off peak tariffs but there is no way to control how much charge is added in this time, it just charges at the full rate for the socket until the allocated time ends. Got fed up with this after a few months and got a great deal on an Ohme cable (which has the same software as the Ohme charger). This is much better as you can tell the charger to say, add 40%, tell it what tariff you are on and ask it to be gentle on your battery and it will spread the 40% charge out over the entire duration of your cheap tariff. Or you can tell it to max charge. Or set up schedules that work with Agile Octopus. So, in brief, EO box is nice and small, EO app is very basic. Our current EV is e208 so not sure how good the charging options are within the ID3 itself? You may not need the EO app depending on how you intend to charge. We will share our EO socket and Ohme cable between Mr ID3 and Mrs e208 eventually but, the ID3 is on order and hasn't arrived yet...

Appreciate the Ohme charger isn't a looker but the software/app is really good with useful features and it can read state of charge on some cars but, not the ID3 I understand.

Message me if you want some pics of our EO install. We needed an ip65 enclosure fitting between our external meter and the EO unit itself to house an RCD for the unit so it ended up being two boxes on the wall outside anyway.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
smuj

Post by smuj »

I have the same issue so I’m going for the Hypervolt. Gets good reviews. See below for size

CB17C0CA-C3CF-48F7-8945-613AC181F94C.jpeg

Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve a SyncEV that’s apparently smaller than the EO mini. Not used the timed features yet (I’m on a 15p kWh all time tarrif until March) but it has octopus settings in it and does timed charges. App is fairly easy to use

Uk manufacturer with Uk tech support. I’m not convinced by it - but I’m not convinced by any charger at the moment tbh. All seem compromised in some way. Especially if you want a discrete unit.
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

I have an EO Mini Pro and use it to charge overnight on Octopus Go off-peak tariff, setting the timer via the EO app, with the car set to max charge 80%. Agree the app is basic but it does the job.
I’m only getting 15 mph/3.7kw/h/16A atm, thus c, 17% charge/14.4 kwh (its double that during the day) but thats a whole different debate which I’m in the process of solving, and nothing to do with the charger AFAIK.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

I have the EO Mini Pro 2 untethered mainly due to the small footprint and the fact it was an easy purchase install with Octopus. It works well with the Go Faster tariff.

IMG_9696.jpeg

VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
VPatz232

Post by VPatz232 »

roadhawk wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:13 am I have the EO Mini Pro 2 untethered mainly due to the small footprint and the fact it was an easy purchase install with Octopus. It works well with the Go Faster tariff.
IMG_9696.jpeg

Hi,

Wanted to check if you purchased the EO Mini Pro 2 via Octopus or approached EO directly? I’m due to join Octopus in the next week or so and hope to switch to the Go Faster tariff as well (obviously once the ID.3 gets delivered next year). Is there any difference with buying the unit through Octopus or the supplier directly?

Many thanks!
VW ID.3 Max, Moonstone Grey, East Derry alloys
Order number: 3146#### [CANCELLED]
VW ID.4 Life Pure, Scale Silver [since March 2022]
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

I have an EO Mini Pro 2, and have been happy with it. Wanted a little untethered unit as we have little space on the wall near the meter box. I’m not asking anything fancy from it; I just plug in and let it run until the car reaches its target charge level (no low cost night rate).
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

VPatz232 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:29 am
roadhawk wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:13 am I have the EO Mini Pro 2 untethered mainly due to the small footprint and the fact it was an easy purchase install with Octopus. It works well with the Go Faster tariff.
IMG_9696.jpeg

Hi,

Wanted to check if you purchased the EO Mini Pro 2 via Octopus or approached EO directly? I’m due to join Octopus in the next week or so and hope to switch to the Go Faster tariff as well (obviously once the ID.3 gets delivered next year). Is there any difference with buying the unit through Octopus or the supplier directly?

Many thanks!
I purchased it via Octopus. I found they were by far the easiest to deal with. I had approached three other installers and had quotes up to £1300. With Octopus it was £605 total and installed very efficiently, they had two official Octopus vans turn up on the day. I had to do some groundwork myself, a small trench to run from the main cabinet under a paving slab at the front of the house and they were helpful with that in describing what they needed and also initially with deciding how best to run the cabling.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
VPatz232

Post by VPatz232 »

roadhawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:10 am
VPatz232 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:29 am
IMG_9696.jpeg

Hi,

Many thanks!
I purchased it via Octopus. I found they were by far the easiest to deal with. I had approached three other installers and had quotes up to £1300. With Octopus it was £605 total and installed very efficiently, they had two official Octopus vans turn up on the day. I had to do some groundwork myself, a small trench to run from the main cabinet under a paving slab at the front of the house and they were helpful with that in describing what they needed and also initially with deciding how best to run the cabling.
Hi Roadhawk,

Hope you’re well.

I received my EO install quote from Octopus today and would be grateful to compare your experience / understanding of the setup. I have a single phase supply with an 80A main fuse, and do not have any solar panels.

I’ve been advised that the EO Mini Pro 2 has internal load management, hence the unit plus a standard install will cost £545 (surprisingly cheaper than EO direct). I noted that EO offer an additional extra - automated load management for £60. Was this offered to you?

The quote includes fitment of an isolator and a Matt:e Earthing solution. Trying to gather as much info as possible so that I get the right install.
VW ID.3 Max, Moonstone Grey, East Derry alloys
Order number: 3146#### [CANCELLED]
VW ID.4 Life Pure, Scale Silver [since March 2022]