Range declining with cooler temperatures

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

His comparisons to ICE cars are spot on too, they are easy to forget!
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021

EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

The 20% loss mentioned by EVM is reasonably spot on even for my EGolf, which stays outside but is plugged in every night.
I do not have a nice integrated garage like EVM.
Of course max real world miles @100% charge varies depending on how well (badly) I have been driving day to day.
Just like the mpg of my last ICE car a Mini countrymen.
Another matter rarely mentioned by the press either.
Anyway in the early days of EV ownership I did note down daily various things like mileage at both 50% charge and fully charged, miles travelled, type of journey, outside temp, regeneration achieved, etc.
I know sad.
But the difference between average real world summer and winter miles was about that 20% mark at both 50% and fully charge.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I did watch the EVM video and can't remember if this has been mentioned but what I didn't fully realise before I bought the ID3, is that the brochure quotated max distance was only for marketing purposes and didn't reflect real world driving. (I should have realised, as I know the same lie is told about ICE cars). Also, that 100% charges should be rare, for the health of the battery. So I and I suspect many others, charge day to day, to 80%. So now take the 20% off of the 80% charge and see how far you get. And I read somewhere that not allowing the battery to drop below 20% charge in summer was good practice but that figure should be 40% in cold months. So I reckon that my ID3 (58kWh battery) should cover 167 miles in winter weather. That's to "empty", not allowing for leaving the 40% of charge.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 am I did watch the EVM video and can't remember if this has been mentioned but what I didn't fully realise before I bought the ID3, is that the brochure quotated max distance was only for marketing purposes and didn't reflect real world driving. (I should have realised, as I know the same lie is told about ICE cars). Also, that 100% charges should be rare, for the health of the battery. So I and I suspect many others, charge day to day, to 80%. So now take the 20% off of the 80% charge and see how far you get. And I read somewhere that not allowing the battery to drop below 20% charge in summer was good practice but that figure should be 40% in cold months. So I reckon that my ID3 (58kWh battery) should cover 167 miles in winter weather. That's to "empty", not allowing for leaving the 40% of charge.

If you need the range to charge over 80%, do it.

If you need the range that results in the level dropping below 20%, do it.

But don’t leave the car at very high or very low levels for any length of time.

All car manufacturers quote the WLTP lab test results, whether ICE, BEV, or one of those hybrid thingies.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

This popped up on my Twitter feed today, apologies if already posted.

https://shaping-mobility.volkswagen.com ... 5674676236
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Anduain wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm This popped up on my Twitter feed today, apologies if already posted.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting.
Anyone know what this is:

“ Think ahead while driving and use the sail function where possible.”

Sail function???
Where’s the button to release the sail?
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

I thought

"The latest ID. models (from end of 2021) can preheat both the interior and the battery whilst connected to the grid"

was an interesting bit.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

mediaguy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:16 pm I thought :(

"The latest ID. models (from end of 2021) can preheat both the interior and the battery whilst connected to the grid"

was an interesting bit.
Not when you’ve got an earlier version! Just jealous. :(
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Anduain wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm This popped up on my Twitter feed today, apologies if already posted.

Good link 👍
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I already do all that and my range is still hammered! Its all just common sense that i'd expect a lot of us do already, unless you require a Reptilian 25C interior temperature. I heat to 16C only when driving alone. If you dare to brave "LO" (unheated), the difference between 16C and LO when the outside temp is low is not much at all, which demonstrates to me that the power requirement of battery heating is about 4x greater than that of maintaining 16-18C from 2-4C ambient temp.

So much recuperation happens in D mode anyway, the difference between a driver that has an economical driving style in an ID3 and one that doesn't is far smaller than for an ICE car with no regen function.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:59 pm So much recuperation happens in D mode anyway, the difference between a driver that has an economical driving style in an ID3 and one that doesn't is far smaller than for an ICE car with no regen function.
I agree with this. In the past, for fun, I used to drive as economically as possible. In the past I was once able to get 93mpg out of an Audi A2 without a tail wind[!], and got 100,000 miles out of the brake pads on a VW Touran. If economy is interesting to you try www.spritmonitor.de [in English.]

But the range I can get out of our ID3 depends little on the speed I drive on the motorway, but the loss of range in winter is dramatic as my wife likes to keep warm. :roll:
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
murfmac

Post by murfmac »

Scratch wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 pm
mediaguy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:16 pm I thought :(

was an interesting bit.
Not when you’ve got an earlier version! Just jealous. :(
You can after 3.0 has been installed though cant you, once the upgraded 12 v Battery visit to the dealers has been done?
Ordered 28/07/2021
Order number - 31417***
Tour Pro S 77kW
Moonstone
Build week 39
Status 20 up to 23rd November
Status 30 - November 24th
Status 38 - 6th December
Status 40 - 19th December
Picked Up 12th January