System Reset to solve issues

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Hi,

I have had two cases since I bought the car of major system warnings.
I have solved both with the following procedure, which may or may not work for you

My feeling is that the software is very complex and every so often it gets confused and just needs a reset, like a laptop

The first time we were sitting in the parked car, and a car came by me at around 50 mph, it was very very close and missed my car by a few mm, but the air wave shock hit the car like a bang. Luckily there was no damage. However, for some reason, the car immediately started saying, "major system fault, drive to garage".

To solve this, I reset the infotainment system (20s on on button on left of screen). Got out of the car and locked it. Came back in 15 mins, reset the infotainment system again and all the warnings had gone.

Leaving the car for 15mins is very important, as VW confirmed in advice I read to a customer, as it makes the cars software system go to sleep and do a soft restart

The second time, it was raining heavily and I had left it parked for a bit. Not sure what happened whilst it was parked. No idea if this was an issue. But two warnings came up when I got back in, one that collision detection system was not able to work and secondly that advanced safety systems were offline.

To solve this, I switched ignition off and on. locked and unlocked car. reset infortainment system. Then selected full system reset from the system menu. Note that this said "it couldnt complete" but ignore this. Then switch off car and lock for at least 15mins (I left it 30 mins). When I got back in it was all back to normal. Note that full system reset disconnects "we connect id", and you have to uninstall this from your phone. Reboot your phone. Reinstall, and then go through connection routine from car's infotainment menu.

Anyway just sharing my experience above

best rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

colonelpurple wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:34 am Hi,

I have had two cases since I bought the car of major system warnings.
I have solved both with the following procedure, which may or may not work for you

My feeling is that the software is very complex and every so often it gets confused and just needs a reset, like a laptop

The first time we were sitting in the parked car, and a car came by me at around 50 mph, it was very very close and missed my car by a few mm, but the air wave shock hit the car like a bang. Luckily there was no damage. However, for some reason, the car immediately started saying, "major system fault, drive to garage".

To solve this, I reset the infotainment system (20s on on button on left of screen). Got out of the car and locked it. Came back in 15 mins, reset the infotainment system again and all the warnings had gone.

Leaving the car for 15mins is very important, as VW confirmed in advice I read to a customer, as it makes the cars software system go to sleep and do a soft restart

The second time, it was raining heavily and I had left it parked for a bit. Not sure what happened whilst it was parked. No idea if this was an issue. But two warnings came up when I got back in, one that collision detection system was not able to work and secondly that advanced safety systems were offline.

To solve this, I switched ignition off and on. locked and unlocked car. reset infortainment system. Then selected full system reset from the system menu. Note that this said "it couldnt complete" but ignore this. Then switch off car and lock for at least 15mins (I left it 30 mins). When I got back in it was all back to normal. Note that full system reset disconnects "we connect id", and you have to uninstall this from your phone. Reboot your phone. Reinstall, and then go through connection routine from car's infotainment menu.

Anyway just sharing my experience above

best rgds
That may well be useful, thanks.
When you got out of the car, did you have to find a tree branch and give it a good thrashing? (BASIL!!!) ;)
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:08 am
When you got out of the car, did you have to find a tree branch and give it a good thrashing? (BASIL!!!) ;)
No, I used a rubber sword. Didn't want to scratch the paint ;)
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

colonelpurple wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 am
Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:08 am
No, I used a rubber sword. Didn't want to scratch the paint ;)

It would only have been a flesh wound.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203