Phone recognition?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

We have 2 iPhones paired with the car. When I get in the car it only seems to recognise the last phone that was active. The phones have a profile each and I can manually select which phone to be active. Am I missing a setting somewhere? My old Ford picked up whichever phone was in the car but the ID3 doesn't appear to do that.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

We also have 2 phones paired, I sometimes have to go into App-Connect and select my phone after my wife has used the car, but nothing more than that, and usually nothing at all.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I find it tries to be too clever and it is fiddly to switch between when 2 phones are in the car.

I don’t like the ability for it to connect to multiple devices for music, CarPlay, phone calls, as clever as it is.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It’s just that when I call whilst I am driving is the time I discover that the wrong phone is detected.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Are you saying that if you get in the car with Phone B only after someone has been in the car with phone A only that the car refuses to recognise Phone B?
Or Are you saying the car doesn't intuitively know which of two paired phones you wish to use?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:44 pm Are you saying that if you get in the car with Phone B only after someone has been in the car with phone A only that the car refuses to recognise Phone B?
Or Are you saying the car doesn't intuitively know which of two paired phones you wish to use?
Your second point is what I am trying to say. So If my wife's phone was the last one used in the car, when I next use the car, with only my phone in the car, it still wants to use my wife's phone. Therefore, if a call comes in to my phone, it won't show on the infotainment screen and only rings on the actual phone, not the car. So obviously I can't answer the call, it's illegal.
I would have thought the car system would recognise and change to, the only phone in the car at the time.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Thanks for clarifying and that doesn't seem right.. Mine certainly recognises both phones and the other day my wife took a call on hers whilst I am sure mine was using AA. Will try and test it and might have to let her drive it without me !!!!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:25 pm Thanks for clarifying and that doesn't seem right.. Mine certainly recognises both phones and the other day my wife took a call on hers whilst I am sure mine was using AA. Will try and test it and might have to let her drive it without me !!!!
Two issues there with your situation. You are going to let your wife drive the car? On her own? Oooh!
You had to call the AA? What happened?

So have I missed a setting regarding the phones? Or do I have a problem?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:33 pm
G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:25 pm Thanks for clarifying and that doesn't seem right.. Mine certainly recognises both phones and the other day my wife took a call on hers whilst I am sure mine was using AA. Will try and test it and might have to let her drive it without me !!!!
Two issues there with your situation. You are going to let your wife drive the car? On her own? Oooh!

Ha ha .. it's been getting close over lockdown but the blood level in my gin system is rising back to normal levels ... I meant Android Auto which I assume you knew, but does raise a question with these phone related problems, which variety are you using?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:38 pm
Scratch wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:33 pm

Ha ha .. it's been getting close over lockdown but the blood level in my gin system is rising back to normal levels ... I meant Android Auto which I assume you knew, but does raise a question with these phone related problems, which variety are you using?
Good point regarding the phones. Ours are iPhones.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Well, interesting test I just did.

My wife just drove up from Barcelona and picked me up.

Out of curiosity I kept an eye on what happened and despite my wife’s phone been connected for the last hour, when I got in, without doing anything, my phone became “the phone”, it automatically connected to CarPlay and took over being the primary phone (I am dual sim so it’s very obvious)

So no idea how this is controlled, unless the car is clever enough to select the more cool phone.

We are both iPhones.

Shrug, no idea.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

This annoys me too. My wife (much to my frustration, I think she does it for that reason) uses the infotainment system in its native mode, for DAB radio and the native Nav). She is set up for CarPlay (uses It in our other car) so when we are both in the ID.3 if I’m driving and choose CarPlay her phone that invariably comes up. Apart from anything else, she prefers Waze, whereas I use Apple Maps so immediate want an easy way to flip CarPlay to my phone. I can’t find an easy way, so I get her to disconnect her phone, then I can choose my phone, major faff. Is it really like this or am I missing something?
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Just a thought, could this behaviour be linked to the primary and secondary user aspects of the cars system. I think I remember reading something about an ability to link keys to users and users to vehicle profiles. Like I say, just a thought.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I think primary and secondary users is in the WeConnect app (that you’re probably using with your EGolf), but it isn’t part of the WeConnectID app for the ID range. The ID app has a little way to go, I’m sure it’ll get there.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

On the seemingly random selection of what is the active phone for CarPlay if more than one phone is connected, I’m sure people already know this but having had a little play, the easiest way of swapping the active phone I can find is to use the VW app from CarPlay itself. Connected phones are shown and you can pick the one you want to be active.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

EVOWNER101 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm Just a thought, could this behaviour be linked to the primary and secondary user aspects of the cars system. I think I remember reading something about an ability to link keys to users and users to vehicle profiles. Like I say, just a thought.

The ID.3 doesn’t do fancy stuff like that yet…