Phone recognition?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Well, interesting test I just did.

My wife just drove up from Barcelona and picked me up.

Out of curiosity I kept an eye on what happened and despite my wife’s phone been connected for the last hour, when I got in, without doing anything, my phone became “the phone”, it automatically connected to CarPlay and took over being the primary phone (I am dual sim so it’s very obvious)

So no idea how this is controlled, unless the car is clever enough to select the more cool phone.

We are both iPhones.

Shrug, no idea.

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

This annoys me too. My wife (much to my frustration, I think she does it for that reason) uses the infotainment system in its native mode, for DAB radio and the native Nav). She is set up for CarPlay (uses It in our other car) so when we are both in the ID.3 if I’m driving and choose CarPlay her phone that invariably comes up. Apart from anything else, she prefers Waze, whereas I use Apple Maps so immediate want an easy way to flip CarPlay to my phone. I can’t find an easy way, so I get her to disconnect her phone, then I can choose my phone, major faff. Is it really like this or am I missing something?
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Just a thought, could this behaviour be linked to the primary and secondary user aspects of the cars system. I think I remember reading something about an ability to link keys to users and users to vehicle profiles. Like I say, just a thought.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I think primary and secondary users is in the WeConnect app (that you’re probably using with your EGolf), but it isn’t part of the WeConnectID app for the ID range. The ID app has a little way to go, I’m sure it’ll get there.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

On the seemingly random selection of what is the active phone for CarPlay if more than one phone is connected, I’m sure people already know this but having had a little play, the easiest way of swapping the active phone I can find is to use the VW app from CarPlay itself. Connected phones are shown and you can pick the one you want to be active.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

EVOWNER101 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm Just a thought, could this behaviour be linked to the primary and secondary user aspects of the cars system. I think I remember reading something about an ability to link keys to users and users to vehicle profiles. Like I say, just a thought.

The ID.3 doesn’t do fancy stuff like that yet…