Electric installation requirements

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
phphoto

Post by phphoto »

Hi. I will be ordering an Id.3 soon but I'm not sure if my electric supply suitable or not. I have a consumer unit installed with a spare socket to connect a home charger when needed. I still have an old style meter, with the spinning disk, rated at 40amps but no idea what the main fuse is rated at. Does the meter need to be updated? Do I need a smart meter? Do I contact the electricity suppliers or an EV charger technician? Thanks if you can help.

joshgiova

Post by joshgiova »

Probably contact an EV charger installer, they will be able to advise your of the steps required for your property. You will be best off upgrading to a smart meter and moving to a supplier like Octopus who have a tariff with a 5p kw/h rate for 4 hours overnight called Octopus Go.
Last edited by joshgiova on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Order Placed (3124xxxx) - 2nd July 21
Build Week - 34 w/c 23rd August 21
Arrived at Emden - 20th September 21
Released to shipping - 4th October 21
Shipped to UK - 6th October 21
Arrived in the UK - 8th October 21
At Dealer - 18th October 21
joshgiova

Post by joshgiova »

I should probably say if you move to Octopus with this link share.octopus.energy/great-gaur-131 you would get a £50 bill credit and so would I, totally up to you though.
Order Placed (3124xxxx) - 2nd July 21
Build Week - 34 w/c 23rd August 21
Arrived at Emden - 20th September 21
Released to shipping - 4th October 21
Shipped to UK - 6th October 21
Arrived in the UK - 8th October 21
At Dealer - 18th October 21
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I suggest you have a browse of some of the other EV Forums that have more specific areas for chargers etc and organise at least two different quotes initially.
If you want more than a granny charger I suspect you will need quite a lot of electrical work done first.

If you want to use variable tariffs you will need a SMETS 2 Smart meter. The meter being rated at 40amps I am not sure about but a home charger will ned a 32amp feed so I think upgrades will be needed.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Definitely contact an EV charger installer, they will advise on what you need and who to contact to arrange.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

phphoto wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 pm Hi. I will be ordering an Id.3 soon but I'm not sure if my electric supply suitable or not. I have a consumer unit installed with a spare socket to connect a home charger when needed. I still have an old style meter, with the spinning disk, rated at 40amps but no idea what the main fuse is rated at. Does the meter need to be updated? Do I need a smart meter? Do I contact the electricity suppliers or an EV charger technician? Thanks if you can help.

I used Elecology and can recommend. Responsive, helpful, not hopelessly expensive, happy to do strange installations and oodles of free advice over the email if you need it.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
phphoto

Post by phphoto »

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I'll contact an EV charger installer and see what they advise.