Home charger cost effective or not?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

The ID. Charger – the Wallbox from Volkswagen coming 2022.

Internet-compatible via WiFi or LAN plus LTE module as standard.
LTE-capable with activation and unlimited data volume included. This ensures optimum communication between the wall box and the We Connect ID. app.

The ID. Charger Pro has a built-in MID electricity meter which ensures transparency, for example between company car drivers and employers.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:40 pm
Nearest is to add Cherry as a “foe” and the forum software will say they’ve posted and hide the text. It’s useless though because it doesn’t stop other folks quoting they’re nonsense, which is then displayed in full in replies.

I’m by nature a helpful chap but some people can’t be helped, particularly when they’re as off their meds as Cherry seems to be today. So I’ll focus on other people instead 😀
Enjoy being in your bubble where only your view and opinion counts and all other views are wrong.

I was merely helping other people by explaining the feature calmly and politely and offering my own opinion on its shortcomings.

It didn’t need your passive aggressiveness nor your thinly veiled accusation that anyone wishing to place you on their foe list for their own reasons is somehow less well-informed or open-minded.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 am The ID. Charger – the Wallbox from Volkswagen coming 2022.

Internet-compatible via WiFi or LAN plus LTE module as standard.
LTE-capable with activation and unlimited data volume included. This ensures optimum communication between the wall box and the We Connect ID. app.

The ID. Charger Pro has a built-in MID electricity meter which ensures transparency, for example between company car drivers and employers.

Let us know how your order for this gets on.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Did I say I was ordering it? It is not even available in UK until 2022. No date and no prices available.

In EU:

Basic version costs 399 euros – without installation.
ID.Charger Connect (starting at 599 Euro, with LTE module 799 Euro)
ID.Charger Pro (849 Euro)

However, the prices for the optional installation service are new. Depending on the version, VW subsidiary Elli charges around 1,600 euros for this service (what a joke).
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am Did I say I was ordering it? It is not even available in UK until 2022. No date and no prices available.

In EU:

Basic version costs 399 euros – without installation.
ID.Charger Connect (starting at 599 Euro, with LTE module 799 Euro)
ID.Charger Pro (849 Euro)

However, the prices for the optional installation service are new. Depending on the version, VW subsidiary Elli charges around 1,600 euros for this service (what a joke).

I’m struggling to see the relevance of the info, sorry.

Did you see my earlier suggestion of the openevse solution for the problem you had of not wishing to be reliant on any manufacturer’s unstated future charges? I only ask as it seemed to me to be a good fit for your problem and you haven’t commented again on that solution as far as I can recall.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am
I’m struggling to see the relevance of the info, sorry.

Did you see my earlier suggestion of the openevse solution for the problem you had of not wishing to be reliant on any manufacturer’s unstated future charges? I only ask as it seemed to me to be a good fit for your problem and you haven’t commented again on that solution as far as I can recall.
No relevance. I am just sharing that VW will have their own wall box in 2022 and indicative prices. Some people may find it useful.
As far as the thread, with VW prices for an installed box, home charging with that may not be cost effective at all, if theirs is chosen.

Yes, relying on VW's app for charging may be a sensible option, if it works. Thanks.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 am
Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:40 pm
Nearest is to add Cherry as a “foe” and the forum software will say they’ve posted and hide the text. It’s useless though because it doesn’t stop other folks quoting they’re nonsense, which is then displayed in full in replies.

I’m by nature a helpful chap but some people can’t be helped, particularly when they’re as off their meds as Cherry seems to be today. So I’ll focus on other people instead 😀
Enjoy being in your bubble where only your view and opinion counts and all other views are wrong.

I was merely helping other people by explaining the feature calmly and politely and offering my own opinion on its shortcomings.

It didn’t need your passive aggressiveness nor your thinly veiled accusation that anyone wishing to place you on their foe list for their own reasons is somehow less well-informed or open-minded.
You just proved your own point by quoting their nonsense! :lol:

He's been Foe'd.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Sorry monkeyhanger! :-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

That's 20 minutes I'll never get back.......
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

🤣
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
TimF

Post by TimF »

Minor point to note with Ohme - prices quoted on their website for installing a home charge are (inevitably and reasonably) "from". What isn't stated is that those prices may exclude VAT. I've been charged £550 PLUS VAT for supply and installation of a Home Pro. The ex-VAT cost of an installation at the advertised £550 would be £458.33. Was the £550 (ex VAT) amount on the invoice a coincidence? What have others been charged?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

The Ohme Go pricing (on the same page) is VAT inclusive (I have an Ohme Go on the Octopus offer and paid £199 inc VAT)

Assuming it is a bog standard install, then I would have expected your Ohme Pro to be "from £550 inc VAT" so it may be that additional equipment on top of a standard install (longer cable run ? special isolator ? ) is raising the price.

If none of that is specified on the order and it really is a standard installation, I'd be declining to pay unless at point of order/quotation it was very clear that it was £550 plus VAT.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

As above. The Web page doesn't mention VAT at all and supply only of their equipment as per the Octopus offers is known to be VAT inclusive, so you'd have to assume that all items on that page are.

Did you get a proper quote when you made contact with an installer through the "book an install" link , prior to work having taken place?

If not, you should've been advised how much the job would cost and how much unforseen works would cost if they didn't survey your place prior to the install. If they've put in a MATT-E device or earthing rod as standard and no additional unforeseen work was done, they should have been totally transparent about the work's cost prior to starting it.

My Ohme cost me £614 fully installed, but that cost was invoiced and agreed prior to work taking place.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I think the£550 is a 'from' price because the actual price depends on who the installer company is that you are assigned (assuming you go through the Ohme website). For me this was 'the car charge people' whose standard price was either £600 or £650 (can't remember which, but not £550.) I didn't argue the toss as they were a bit flexible about it being a 'standard install' - they had to drill through three walls and it took the leccy a full 8-9 hour day. If you are tight for cash and it's a simple job then I'd ask why they have quoted you more than the£550, but you might get told it's their standard price and that's that. I suspect the price on Ohmes website is to be taken with a pinch of salt. You aren't actually buying anything directly from them.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
smuj

Post by smuj »

I’m having my Hypervolt charger installed in a couple of weeks. Here’s the quote

166A81F7-999D-42F7-BC96-95FACCAA54A6.jpeg

I found it amusing that the cost of parts plus installation came to (drum roll) exact same as grant. Ta da.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 am I think the£550 is a 'from' price because the actual price depends on who the installer company is that you are assigned (assuming you go through the Ohme website). For me this was 'the car charge people' whose standard price was either £600 or £650 (can't remember which, but not £550.) I didn't argue the toss as they were a bit flexible about it being a 'standard install' - they had to drill through three walls and it took the leccy a full 8-9 hour day. If you are tight for cash and it's a simple job then I'd ask why they have quoted you more than the£550, but you might get told it's their standard price and that's that. I suspect the price on Ohmes website is to be taken with a pinch of salt. You aren't actually buying anything directly from them.
It's exactly that. The Ohme website quotes a minimum price and then puts you in touch with an installer. The installer should provide a comprehensive quote up-front and may or may not choose to survey your property beforehand.

They should not do the work without a quote and then interpret Ohme's minimum price as plus VAT.

If I were TimF, i'd be having words with trading standards if a quote wasn't provided upfront, or if there was such a quote upfront and it didn't stipulate anywhere about prices given being subject to VAT.

TimF

Post by TimF »

All fair comments. Yes, I should have got a formal quote from the installer - without that I have effectively given them carte blanche to charge whatever they feel like. The Ohme webform to order the charger and installation includes a comprehensive DIY survey, with dimensioned sketch of where the consumer unit is and where the charge point should go, plus photos of the unit, meter, earthing etc and the external site.

Total cable length from external junction box directly behind the consumer unit to the junction box to which the charge point "tail" connects is around 7.5m, so some additional charge was expected. Clearly it was a coincidence that this extra just happened to make the ex-VAT cost £550.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

My Ohme installation didn't go too smoothly, but all the inconvenience was at the installer's end - surprised they didn't charge me more!

For my £614, a guy cane down from Glasgow to Newcastle to do the survey, then came back to install 2 weeks later. After installing, they did the earthing test and it failed, so the electricity board were called out and confirmed it was the supply to the house at fault, so over the next week they dug a hole in the pavement outside my house and fixed it. The installers came back down from Scotland and checked the earth again to sign off the job.

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

This a long discussion:) I use Zappi with Octopus go, and since the equivalent fillup on my last ICE was £55 vs £1.5 on the ID3, I would say 17 fillups or so pay for the whole Zappi installation (mine was more expensive since my garage is at the end of my garden)

As the car was delivered in July, that makes the Zappi installation pay for itself by the end of July already. So the answer to the OP's question is yes.

I suppose if you have a tesco near you, and have the working time during the day to make sure it doesn't go over the car park time limit, you could make a case for supermarket charging, but seems a big hassle to me for a small saving
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

colonelpurple wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:05 am I suppose if you have a tesco near you, and have the working time during the day to make sure it doesn't go over the car park time limit, you could make a case for supermarket charging, but seems a big hassle to me for a small saving

The free chargers at Tesco are for customers while they're being customers, not freeloaders who decide not to get a home charger ;)