Vehicle jack & wheel bolt wrench (spanner) ?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Yesterday when I checked my ID.3 (a Family PP with east derry alloys) during the delivery handover I was surprised that the toolkit didn't contain either a vehicle jack or wheelbrace though there are cutout slots ni. There is however a tyre sealant kit & air-pump.

I queried this and was told (after the workshop manager had been consulted) that:-"
... they weren't necessary because VW provide free AA cover (for 3 years).
.. it isn't safe for customers to remove/replace the wheels on their car (because a spare wheel isn't provided)."

Then I pointed out that the Owner's Manual recommends owners to periodically swap the wheels from front to rear axle & vice-versa on the same side in order equalise the wear and maximise tyre life. The workshop manager's response was that this activity was an optional service task performed on request and, in his experience, no customer had ever requested such a swap.

Should my ID.3 have been supplied with these items?

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Gwyver wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm Yesterday when I checked my ID.3 (a Family PP with east derry alloys) during the delivery handover I was surprised that the toolkit didn't contain either a vehicle jack or wheelbrace though there are cutout slots ni. There is however a tyre sealant kit & air-pump.

I queried this and was told (after the workshop manager had been consulted) that:-"
.. it isn't safe for customers to remove/replace the wheels on their car (because a spare wheel isn't provided)."

Then I pointed out that the Owner's Manual recommends owners to periodically swap the wheels from front to rear axle & vice-versa on the same side in order equalise the wear and maximise tyre life. The workshop manager's response was that this activity was an optional service task performed on request and, in his experience, no customer had ever requested such a swap.

No, they aren't supplied.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Gwyver wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm Yesterday when I checked my ID.3 (a Family PP with east derry alloys) during the delivery handover I was surprised that the toolkit didn't contain either a vehicle jack or wheelbrace though there are cutout slots ni. There is however a tyre sealant kit & air-pump.

No but you do have a valid point. From my perspective, it's really just cost cutting. First they have a "space saver spare wheel", then , like my wife's previous Ford had the "gunk" but also had a wheelbrace and jack, now you get just the gunk. If they can save 1p on many millions of vehicles, it adds up quickly.

The comment from that workshop manager, is just the company line. Trying to defend the indefensible. As for the comment about 3 years AA cover, that is just plain waffle.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

No that is correct, ID cars get 3 years breakdown cover.

"If your Volkswagen is under one year old, you have Volkswagen Roadside Assistance provided free of charge. Cars in our ID. range and Touareg have three years’ complimentary cover."

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... tance.html
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

MInd you, the thought of jacking the car up at the front or rear on a scissor jack high enough to take off both wheels on the same side of the car so I could swap them over fills me with fear, the possibility of the car tipping off the jack while removing the wheel furthest from the jack would create a horrible mess...
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

RTFB on this one, I'm afraid

image_2021-10-17_192931.png

"In lieu of tool kit and tyre mobility kit"

Only the steel wheels get the tool & tyre kit.

It's not cost-cutting, either - it's weight-saving for several KG of stuff that the majority of owners will never use.

Also worth noting that it's for emergency use, and it's neither safe nor sensible to a scissor jack as a maintenance tool. If you needed to rotate wheels, you'd need to have more than one jack and, ideally, axle stands - so that's never been the point of the supplied jack.