Stupid question no 1001...

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Is there any sense in keeping the VW provided charging cable in the car during normal day to day use?
It is considerably heavier than the car jack & brace (which have been omitted on some models, ostensibly for weight & cost reasons)...
... and public charging points all seem to have tethered cables.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I haven't had mine in the boot for months - I charge at home 90% of the time, the rest being public DC rapids - so all tethered.

I expect the only time I'll pop the cable in the boot is if I'm heading to the office as we have free chargers in the car park.

I always have a plan B rapid in case my chosen one is faulty or busy (as was the case yesterday)
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Gwyver wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm Is there any sense in keeping the VW provided charging cable in the car during normal day to day use?
It is considerably heavier than the car jack & brace (which have been omitted on some models, ostensibly for weight & cost reasons)...
... and public charging points all seem to have tethered cables.
I've kept mine in, for absolute emergencies, for what it weighs, it's not going to affect the car's efficiency to any degree you'll see.

You just never know if you're out beyond the range of home and you could have a string of bad luck with rapid charger availability and have to divert to the big supermarket up the road. Highly unlikely, but possible.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

You can buy lighter cables, eg 3m and coiled.
It's worth having one in the car just in case.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've only used mine twice since getting the car in March. I recoiled it to fit in the space where the tool kit would be and will probably leave it there, just in case.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

It struck me that the cable supplied seems much more substantial than it needs to be. You'd think VW would have supplied the lightest possible cable - after all we're only able to draw 11kw from it (or actually 7kw in the case of my City, I think).

I've already used mine a couple of times within the first month and a half of ownership, admittedly both times just because there was free 7kw electricity available from untethered points (which slow chargers invariably seem to be) rather than actually needing a charge.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

I keep mine in the car. Most of the AC chargers that I have used do not have tethered cables. Even if you intend to use DC chargers when on a journey you will find the occasion when one is out of order.
We had an occasion in France when the DC charger we were aiming for was out of order. There were no other DC chargers within reach and we finished up parking at an AC charger and walking a couple of Km to our hotel. After dinner we walked back to fetch the car. We would have been absolutely scuppered if we had not had our own cable.
Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

TheJimster wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 pm It struck me that the cable supplied seems much more substantial than it needs to be. You'd think VW would have supplied the lightest possible cable - after all we're only able to draw 11kw from it (or actually 7kw in the case of my City, I think).

The cables supplied with UK cars are 3-phase 32A compatible. That's not the case with cables in every country.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

TheJimster wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 pm It struck me that the cable supplied seems much more substantial than it needs to be. You'd think VW would have supplied the lightest possible cable - after all we're only able to draw 11kw from it (or actually 7kw in the case of my City, I think).

I've already used mine a couple of times within the first month and a half of ownership, admittedly both times just because there was free 7kw electricity available from untethered points (which slow chargers invariably seem to be) rather than actually needing a charge.
Anything over 7kw needs 3 phase
VW have to supply a cable that can meet the capacity of the car
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:33 am

The cables supplied with UK cars are 3-phase 32A compatible. That's not the case with cables in every country.
Thanks, that figures. So it's actually capable of 22kw total draw I suppose, not that the ID3 can pull that, but I guess a 3-phase 16A cable would limit you to 3.6kw on a single phase connection, and a single phase 32A cable (if that is a thing) would limit you to 7.6kw on any connection. If I've understood correctly!
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

TheJimster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:23 pm
scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:33 am

Thanks, that figures. So it's actually capable of 22kw total draw I suppose, not that the ID3 can pull that, but I guess a 3-phase 16A cable would limit you to 3.6kw on a single phase connection, and a single phase 32A cable (if that is a thing) would limit you to 7.6kw on any connection. If I've understood correctly!
Yup that's pretty much it. You'll see most domestic EV wall chargers quoting 7.4kW as a charging speed, because that's what a 32A single phase connection converts to. 3phase is basically 3xsingle phase as you've said.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203