Cold weather is here - range hit

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The difference between driving at 60 and driving at 70 is pretty significant. Given the values quoted, I suspect it was 60mph most of the time, as both our ID3s in the Summer, with no heating or headlights we're just scraping 3.6 miles per kWh doing 70mph almost all the time. There's nothing between the 2 of them (seemingly far more variation between 2 identical ICE cars where how they were run.in is pretty important).

There used to be someone on the Golf GTI forum who was always posting about getting over 50mpg in his MK7.5 Golf GTI...he had a long commute (50 miles each way) and was pretty much driving everywhere at 55mph. No one else driving normally could get anywhere near those figures.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I had to do the same journey with and without passengers in September when it was warmer and was getting about 4.2 with not much use of the ventilation system.
My since start average for the last 3000 miles is 4.3 and the previous 5000 miles 4.5, I’ve had the car since May.
I’ve been driving for a long time both normal cars and sports cars and have learnt to drive economically and predicting the traffic flow ahead
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Whilst I dont look forward to the cold mornings, having been thtough one Winter in the car already, I know what to expect and will have the heater on, enjoy my car, and charge more frequently.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Warminster id wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:31 pm I’ve had the car since May.
I’ve been driving for a long time both normal cars and sports cars and have learnt to drive economically and predicting the traffic flow ahead
Pretty much ditto for all the above, and I do have an economic driving style relative to the speed I'm looking to achieve. I do anticipate the road ahead well to preserve momentum and minimise braking - my local dealership always used to be puzzled at the slow rate of wear on the brake discs and pads of my cars. That method of driving does give lower economy dividends than ICE cars though, as a fair proportion of your braking is via regen with the ID3 if driving economically (lack of brake dust on the wheels is a real testament to that). I also use recirculation with the A/C to minimise waste there.

Even so, in the Summer, if I'm sat on the A1/M1 and maintaining 70mph for 200 miles as part of a longer journey (Newcastle to Southampton), the car is tending towards 3.4 miles per kWh and all the mixed roads afterwards bring it up to about 3.6, with an ambient temp of around 18-20C.

I could not do those same miles on the Motorway and get to 4+ miles per kWh unless I was maintaining 60-62 mph.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:42 pm Whilst I dont look forward to the cold mornings, having been thtough one Winter in the car already, I know what to expect and will have the heater on, enjoy my car, and charge more frequently.
It's just a pain on the longer trips, where range is a higher priority than economy (even though the 2 are intrinsically linked). I'll be doing 350 miles between Newcastle and Southampton tomorrow morning with a 6am start and 3 passengers.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Daveion wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:42 pm Whilst I dont look forward to the cold mornings, having been thtough one Winter in the car already, I know what to expect and will have the heater on, enjoy my car, and charge more frequently.

Sounds like an excellent plan 👍
Deleted User 192

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm
It's just a pain on the longer trips, where range is a higher priority than economy (even though the 2 are intrinsically linked). I'll be doing 250 miles between Newcastle and Southampton tomorrow morning with a 6am start and 3 passengers.

If I need to make a stop anyway, I would rather drive at a natural speed and stop for an extra couple of minutes to get the % back to the level I want.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I don’t tend to do 70 for long periods and my speed is continually changing so average speed will be lower than 70, and in an EV the economy is better in heavier traffic which I love when I’m surrounded by ice cars guzzling fuel and getting no where lol
Same here with the brakes I had a fiat tipo 1.3 diesel for a couple of years and didn’t have to change the discs I got 70 mpg from that one on average ( surprised even myself)
I am a bit of a nerd when driving ( most of the time tbh) I even apex corners and roundabouts when safe
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm
It's just a pain on the longer trips, where range is a higher priority than economy (even though the 2 are intrinsically linked). I'll be doing 250 miles between Newcastle and Southampton tomorrow morning with a 6am start and 3 passengers.

If I need to make a stop anyway, I would rather drive at a natural speed and stop for an extra couple of minutes to get the % back to the level I want.
I meant to say 350 miles. I would do as you do - it would drive me mad to be sat at 60mph on the motorway in the middle of all the 60mph trucks trying to overtake each other at 1mph differentials in an effort to eke out an extra 15 miles range.

LordMouldySort

Post by LordMouldySort »

I will take delivery next week so I haven't even tried mine yet. I checked worst/best case scenarios for the 58kW version. WLTP is quoted as 264 miles and measured as 155 miles at a constant 70 at -10 degrees so that's what I'll be assuming my worst case scenario is.
Are people using the B or D drive option? Or do you change between motorways and town driving?
Deleted User 192

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 pm
scott28tt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm

I meant to say 350 miles. I would do as you do - it would drive me mad to be sat at 60mph on the motorway in the middle of all the 60mph trucks trying to overtake each other at 1mph differentials in an effort to eke out an extra 15 miles range.

Exactly 👍
Deleted User 192

LordMouldySort wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 pm I will take delivery next week so I haven't even tried mine yet. I checked worst/best case scenarios for the 58kW version. WLTP is quoted as 264 miles and measured as 155 miles at a constant 70 at -10 degrees so that's what I'll be assuming my worst case scenario is.
Are people using the B or D drive option? Or do you change between motorways and town driving?

The difference between D and B is really feel, whether it’s you controlling regen or the car.

B means the car will apply full regen every time IF you lift your foot fully off the power pedal.

I use B through stretches of speed bumps, stop/start traffic, and when I fancy a good old hoon along a nice open twisty road - the rest of the time it’s in D.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

About 40% through our journey and had to stop for a small charge to get to Donnington and charge properly. 70mph all motorway, temp set to 16C, ambient temp 10-11C, wife's seat heating on1 bar and....2.8 miles per kWh. For only being a few degrees into the battery heating zone, I'm really disappointed by the drop off vs Summer. If I'd ran the battery dry, we'd be talking about a full battery range of about 160 miles. Now it's light, maybe it'll improve a little.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve done three 40 mile round trips - 80% of each was motorway and averaged 3.8….

Sorry should have said that was Friday and Saturday - 9-13 degrees temp.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am I’ve done three 40 mile round trips - 80% of each was motorway and averaged 3.8….

Sorry should have said that was Friday and Saturday - 9-13 degrees temp.
Ave speed? Light or dark? Heating? Just you or a full car?

If I'd averaged 60mph, maybe I'd be up there,

I'm comparing like for like vs same Journey end of August, and so far, having to apply some very modest heating for the wife's sake and 2 hours driving in the dark at ambient 10-11C, the economy hit is over 25%,about twice my expectations.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Light. Heating at 20 (5 year old in the car). A few bits of 60 limit on the motorway in there. From being stationary in the car (waiting to see if the update comes in!) I don’t see much drain from the lights being on. Maybe 0.1kw or less.

For my short/small journeys (shopping etc…) it’s lobbed off about 25%.

I’ve yet to do my benchmark Manchester Hull commute in full winter conditions yet - in summer it was about 3.8 - 110 miles. 80-32%. I’ll be a bit upset if I can’t do that from 80% charged - but suspect it’ll be alright.

We’ll see!!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I didn't expect the lights to be much of a hit, about 100W seems about right. I did have auto high beam on, so that and all the matrix stuff was doing its bit.

The drain I attributed to a bit of battery warming for a small part of the Journey to Donnington - about 170 miles done (getting a proper charge now), 1 bar on the passenger seat heating and a 5C differential between cabin heating and ambient, I was expecting more like 3.2 miles per kWh maintaining 70mph on the motorway (vs 3.7 in the Summer with no heating requrements)

Hopefully this is the biggest hit and it doesn't get much worse to 5C, but I doubt that's the case.

It's all academic now, I don't anticipate any other long journeys after this one until we'll into next year.

Back to the car in 5 mins, to see how much better the second half of the journey might be.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

👍👍
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The remaining 165 miles got a "since charge" efficiency figure of 3.3 miles per kWh. The sun was properly up, so I switched the heating off as the "greenhouse effect" of heat being generated through the windows. Ambient temp crept up to 14C towards the end of the journey. It seems then, just heating (cabin/battery) 11C to 16C in the first leg has consumed about 33% more electricity than the same trip in the Summer.

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi monkeyhanger
It was good to read about your journey and power usage and the end of the day it’s all about the enjoyment of the journey, since I got my ID3 I’ve loved driving it and even on the unexpected long journeys, I’m normally solo but when I’ve had passengers they have all enjoyed the ride.
I hope you continue to enjoy the car through the winter as I’m sure I will.