Cold weather is here - range hit

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 pm
scott28tt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm

It's just a pain on the longer trips, where range is a higher priority than economy (even though the 2 are intrinsically linked). I'll be doing 250 miles between Newcastle and Southampton tomorrow morning with a 6am start and 3 passengers.

If I need to make a stop anyway, I would rather drive at a natural speed and stop for an extra couple of minutes to get the % back to the level I want.
I meant to say 350 miles. I would do as you do - it would drive me mad to be sat at 60mph on the motorway in the middle of all the 60mph trucks trying to overtake each other at 1mph differentials in an effort to eke out an extra 15 miles range.

Exactly 👍

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

LordMouldySort wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 pm I will take delivery next week so I haven't even tried mine yet. I checked worst/best case scenarios for the 58kW version. WLTP is quoted as 264 miles and measured as 155 miles at a constant 70 at -10 degrees so that's what I'll be assuming my worst case scenario is.
Are people using the B or D drive option? Or do you change between motorways and town driving?

The difference between D and B is really feel, whether it’s you controlling regen or the car.

B means the car will apply full regen every time IF you lift your foot fully off the power pedal.

I use B through stretches of speed bumps, stop/start traffic, and when I fancy a good old hoon along a nice open twisty road - the rest of the time it’s in D.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

About 40% through our journey and had to stop for a small charge to get to Donnington and charge properly. 70mph all motorway, temp set to 16C, ambient temp 10-11C, wife's seat heating on1 bar and....2.8 miles per kWh. For only being a few degrees into the battery heating zone, I'm really disappointed by the drop off vs Summer. If I'd ran the battery dry, we'd be talking about a full battery range of about 160 miles. Now it's light, maybe it'll improve a little.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve done three 40 mile round trips - 80% of each was motorway and averaged 3.8….

Sorry should have said that was Friday and Saturday - 9-13 degrees temp.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am I’ve done three 40 mile round trips - 80% of each was motorway and averaged 3.8….

Sorry should have said that was Friday and Saturday - 9-13 degrees temp.
Ave speed? Light or dark? Heating? Just you or a full car?

If I'd averaged 60mph, maybe I'd be up there,

I'm comparing like for like vs same Journey end of August, and so far, having to apply some very modest heating for the wife's sake and 2 hours driving in the dark at ambient 10-11C, the economy hit is over 25%,about twice my expectations.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Light. Heating at 20 (5 year old in the car). A few bits of 60 limit on the motorway in there. From being stationary in the car (waiting to see if the update comes in!) I don’t see much drain from the lights being on. Maybe 0.1kw or less.

For my short/small journeys (shopping etc…) it’s lobbed off about 25%.

I’ve yet to do my benchmark Manchester Hull commute in full winter conditions yet - in summer it was about 3.8 - 110 miles. 80-32%. I’ll be a bit upset if I can’t do that from 80% charged - but suspect it’ll be alright.

We’ll see!!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I didn't expect the lights to be much of a hit, about 100W seems about right. I did have auto high beam on, so that and all the matrix stuff was doing its bit.

The drain I attributed to a bit of battery warming for a small part of the Journey to Donnington - about 170 miles done (getting a proper charge now), 1 bar on the passenger seat heating and a 5C differential between cabin heating and ambient, I was expecting more like 3.2 miles per kWh maintaining 70mph on the motorway (vs 3.7 in the Summer with no heating requrements)

Hopefully this is the biggest hit and it doesn't get much worse to 5C, but I doubt that's the case.

It's all academic now, I don't anticipate any other long journeys after this one until we'll into next year.

Back to the car in 5 mins, to see how much better the second half of the journey might be.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

👍👍
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The remaining 165 miles got a "since charge" efficiency figure of 3.3 miles per kWh. The sun was properly up, so I switched the heating off as the "greenhouse effect" of heat being generated through the windows. Ambient temp crept up to 14C towards the end of the journey. It seems then, just heating (cabin/battery) 11C to 16C in the first leg has consumed about 33% more electricity than the same trip in the Summer.

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi monkeyhanger
It was good to read about your journey and power usage and the end of the day it’s all about the enjoyment of the journey, since I got my ID3 I’ve loved driving it and even on the unexpected long journeys, I’m normally solo but when I’ve had passengers they have all enjoyed the ride.
I hope you continue to enjoy the car through the winter as I’m sure I will.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

We are are down to around 12 where I live, so not that cold. Haven't really noticed anything with range yet
I do modify the heating temp to keep weak AC on, and ensure the heater is never on. I get around 3.7-4 at the moment, depending on the route.
My wife is not so careful and likes heat, so she is getting around 3.1/3.2 when she drives it
But again, apart from the heating, not sure there has been any dramatic change since the late 20s we were getting in summer.
I expect it to start effecting range at below 10, when the pre heating kicks in. Let see
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Some further observations. Short-range trips in cold weather are a killer due to the battery pre-heating overhead. Range drops to 3.1 m/kWh or below for me. Yesterday I took the car on a cross-London return trip (lots of traffic jams, max speed 40mph), and even at cooler morning temperatures it got to 4.0 m/kWh, which is an implied range of 275 miles, so not that bad for the weather. It's about 30% lower than the best summer range in similar driving (city only), which at one point reached 400 m/kWh.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)