How low do you let the battery charge drop to...

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

before recharging?
Just pondering but based on normal everyday usage, as opposed to longer journeys.
With an ICE, if you suddenly needed to travel a long distance and had little fuel, you could probably find a 24 hour gas station and fill up. With a BEV, if the fastest charger you had access to was your home 7Kw charger, you would have to wait at least a couple of hours to get a decent top up.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Ours is typically between 40% to 60%, trickling through the day if necessary.

We find we plan better so know if it needs an overnight charge.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’ll let mine go down to about 20% (40-50 miles), unless I already know I need more than that for the next day.

My home charging is done 20:30-01:30 so that window adds about 60%, taking me back to 80%.

I’ll plan for 100% during the window (so ideally starting above 40%) if doing a long journey the next morning.

If I needed that short-notice charge scenario you describe, I’d use a rapid.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I run the current EV roughly 30% to 75% and keep it in that range topping up say 3 times a week overnight on Octopus Go. If planning a longer trip I charge it to 80% overnight and then give it a boost an hour before departure up to 90%. Will probably run the ID3 much the same way. Any emergency charge needed I just visit a local ultra rapid.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I depend on public chargers so recharge when opportunity offers. Normally don't let it drop much below 40% or charge over 80%. Did so yesterday though as we first picked up someone at Paddington (so used the Source London 22kW charger as a parking spot and connected there) and then went for dinner near Marble Arch (so used the Source London 7kW charger there as a parking spot and connected charging to 86% while at dinner). Saved me having to hunt for a parking bay.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Just to reiterate, I don’t have access to a rapid charger anywhere nearby. I also have no access to the cheaper overnight home charging. We can’t have a smart meter that works in our area. (Thanks Boris). So I was thinking that maybe I should just charge it up to 80% every day, as the cost will always be the same whenever I charge it at home. Or is there something about discharging these batteries so that all the cells get “exercised” at some time or other?