ID.3 V2G (Vehicle-to-Grid)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Hi
The VW Group wants to become the first major car-maker to start rolling out “vehicle-to-grid” (V2G) technology in all its electric cars to sell services back to the electricity grid and help stabilise fluctuating energy supply from renewables.
Link
https://thedriven.io/2021/04/07/volkswa ... tric-cars/

The first generation of MEB models that Volkswagen has been delivering since autumn last year is not yet designed to be bidirectional. These cars can only charge. Volkswagen will be able to retrofit V2G to those cars with comparatively few technical changes and additional software. Production should begin in December, and the bidirectional electric cars will go on sale after the turn of the year. At least 300,000 vehicles are likely to be manufactured at the VW plant in Zwickau alone in 2022.
Link
[https://v2g.co.uk/2021/04/volkswagens-v2g-vision/][/url]

Seems all VW EVs built after December 2021 will be V2G ready. VW will manage this system and sell battery storage to electric generating producers. The owners of the EVs will be paid a fee for allowing this. I am wondering who will pay for the new Bidirectional wall chargers? Plus any other kit the home will need?

Perhaps an other way an owner of a V2G EV could make good use of having a large KWh battery attached to there home would be to charge it up on low cost electric during the night and then feeding off the battery during the day time when electricity costs more!

This will depend if the EV spends day time at its home address or is away all day.

For me the ID.3 Max Pro will spend most nights and days just parked on our drive, as being retired commuting is a thing of the past for me.

I did the sums on the last 12 months of electric usage. about 7,000 KW day time and 2,000 kW during the economy 7 night time. I need to be able to store around 20 KW a night, at .08p per KWh and then use during the day. I would thus save 13p on each KW used from the battery or about £900 a year.

No doubt the will be other costs involved and losses in charging and then discharging the ID.3s battery.

One thing I did note is VW seem not to be too worried about V2G battery degradation.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

As a regular homeworker, a lower than average mileage driver, with 5 hours of off-peak electricity every day, this is something I'm keeping an eye on - depending on who's paying for what will need updating on existing cars, plus any other requirements regarding chargers and home electrics.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I thought they'd already been beaten (in that other cars have this capability already).
EDF are already doing this with the Leaf (for businesses). https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-grid

Not sure I'd want to hand over the control of my car battery and the numbers don't make it any more appealing. There was a similar deal around installing a Tesla powerwall that octopus then control. (and other similar scenarios I am sure)

I'm in the process of adding a battery in the garage myself, might be another initial outlay but Economy 7 charging and excess Solar should lead to better savings long term.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:50 pm I'm in the process of adding a battery in the garage myself, might be another initial outlay but Economy 7 charging and excess Solar should lead to better savings long term.
I am very interested in your experience with the battery. We are looking to add a 10kwh wind turbine to our solar with next step being a battery.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

We are in the process of adding solar PV and a Powerwall battery to the house for many of the same reasons, store what we produce and use at peak times, charge at Octopus Go low rate and use during peak times (mostly on cloudy days and winter months). Octopus/Tesla have the tesla tariff which is £0.11 for import and export, but I don't fancy giving Octopus/Tesla full control of my battery. Just like I wouldn't want my car to be low on battery just when I need it most. And regarding battery degradation, Tesla still warranty the Powerwall for 10 years on the Octopus tariff and state it will still have 70% capacity.

We are in a similar situation to Mark55
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Anduain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:50 pm I'm in the process of adding a battery in the garage myself, might be another initial outlay but Economy 7 charging and excess Solar should lead to better savings long term.
I am very interested in your experience with the battery. We are looking to add a 10kwh wind turbine to our solar with next step being a battery.
I had a much smaller 1kw wind turbine in a house I lived in from 2000-2005. Perfect location - top of a hill - 2km from the west coast. All about the location and how high you can get it. Anything lower than c.5m and it’ll spend ages just hunting the wind due to the boundary layer turbulence…

It is VERY satisfying to be hunkered up in the house when there is a 60km/h wind blowing around watching how much electricity you are making though!
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Not interested in using my car as a battery for the house or anything else. I prefer to maximise the life span of the battery and use it for driving. If I need a big battery at home I will buy a powerwall or something similar ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

colonelpurple wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:18 am Not interested in using my car as a battery for the house or anything else. I prefer to maximise the life span of the battery and use it for driving. If I need a big battery at home I will buy a powerwall or something similar ...
I agree. I am intrigued at the idea of a windmill or solar panels, but I'm wary of V2G because there is not enough data on how much V2G wears down the battery...
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
Xander054

Post by Xander054 »

Any update on the vehicle to grid capabilities?

Will all ID3 produced in 2022 have this option?
ID3 Family Pro Performance
White with Andoya wheels
Transport hitch

The JCB Group
Order confirmed 28/10/21
Build week 34 2022
Order number 3151****
Status - 30 1/10/2022, 38 21/10/2022
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

No updates from what I can see - but the only id3 that will be able to do it are the 77kwh battery verisons
Wadard

Post by Wadard »

Any news? As Britain approaches winter power cuts I'd like to enable this for my 77kW ID.3
scotview

Post by scotview »

Hi,

We have just purchased a backup battery bank for rolling power cuts, Bluetti 2400 Wh

Can the cigarette lighter socket in the boot be used to power a 300 watt inverter and hence power the battery bank charger cable and power brick (200watts)

What is the rating of the boot socket outlet, watts, volts, amps. (continuous)

Does the boot socket draw power from the auxiliary battery or from the main car battery. Could the auxiliary battery become discharged ?

Many thanks.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I do wonder if you are over thinking this whole rolling blackout thing.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
scotview

Post by scotview »

Bump,

Does anyone have information on the boot socket outlet, as in my post above,

Thanks
scotview

Post by scotview »

Found it,
180 watts max.
12 volts.
Ignition needs to be on.
Still don't know if the aux battery will be drained though.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

scotview wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:03 pm Found it,
180 watts max.
12 volts.
Ignition needs to be on.
One of the fuses has a "always on" setting.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

scotview wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:03 pm Found it,
180 watts max.
12 volts.
Ignition needs to be on.
Given it's 12V I'm sure it'll be using the 12V battery. However, I was under the impression the 12V is kept topped up by the HV battery if it starts to drain.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.