Any motorway munchers out there?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

Morning all!

Back again, looking for those who motorway munch in their ID.

Following on from my introduction post...

My commute to work is approx 100 mile round trip. Mostly all either motorway or dual carriageway. 4 days a week average but some weeks could be less, if at all.

Never had any experience with an EV on the long distance, the wife has an e-up and beyond 50mph it's very much out of its comfort zone and starts to rip through its predicted range.

So if anyone could give some real world feedback on how they perform range wise on the long distances that would be immensely helpful. I'm a heavy old lump as well and hesitant to order until someone says they don't tear through range on the motorway 8-) Thankfully I'm very much a steady 67mph kind of guy on the commute.

The general consensus from some folks on here is the 150kw max pro 58kw rather than the tour Pro s.

Thank you all :D

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

At those speeds summer about 3.8-4 m/kWh - winter 3-3.5.

On Thursday did a round trip to Kendal (160 miles) in filthy weather - night - cool - heavy rain etc… and did it all on about 80% of the 58kwh battery.

100 mile round trip on an 80% charge no problem.

Above 70 the consumption really increases - at/below 60 it drops. Sitting in traffic even with the heater etc on doesn’t really kill the range.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ps. It’ll sit quite happily at 80+ if you want it to. It’s a very civilised motorway car.
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

I should add, just after quickly checking the prices on the wife's lease scheme (which is where I'd be ordering)

The Max Pro comes out at 348 but by the time you add the andoya alloys on ends up 375. Or the Tour Pro s is 368... These are all zero deposit/initial rental and inclusive of maintenance/breakdown/servicing/tyres.
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Hi,

As part of a longer trip last week I spent 70km on open motorway never dropping below 120km/hr (75mph). It was 11.5degc outside and I had some luggage also. The car consumption was pretty constant at about 21kWh per 100km. For your commute this would equate to using about 60% of the battery per day - driving a bit slower will reduce that consumption more. I would think the 58kwh battery is enough, but if you want to keep the car longer term, remember the battery capacity will reduce.

By the way, you will need a home charger either way in order to replenish battery for next days commute.

In terms of motorway driving, ID3 is very comfortable on it - no issues with sticking/exceeding the pace.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
JonnyRad

Post by JonnyRad »

NewId3 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:04 am Hi,

As part of a longer trip last week I spent 70km on open motorway never dropping below 120km/hr (75mph). It was 11.5degc outside and I had some luggage also. The car consumption was pretty constant at about 21kWh per 100km. For your commute this would equate to using about 60% of the battery per day - driving a bit slower will reduce that consumption more. I would think the 58kwh battery is enough, but if you want to keep the car longer term, remember the battery capacity will reduce.

By the way, you will need a home charger either way in order to replenish battery for next days commute.

In terms of motorway driving, ID3 is very comfortable on it - no issues with sticking/exceeding the pace.
Thanks for this 👍🏻

Thankfully we are already equipped with a 7kw pod point at home, but the wife can charge her up at work for free at the mo so it's never been used 😂
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You’ll get a 100-mile round trip at motorway speeds even in winter, charging at home, no problem.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I went from 90% to 21% for 155miles, 75/25 motorway/slow roads

I've never charged above 90%, even when touring North England and North Wales.

One thing to note, hard acceleration and speeds over 60 are much more consumptive. I got over 200 miles driving from London to Chester on a 90% charge, but it was facilitated by terrible road works, and my average speed was 40-50. That's the big difference between EVs and ICEs, EVs don't loose any miles over town driving and road works, they love it, whereas ICEs drink fuel in these conditions
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

You'll do that mileage very easily, even in winter. I wouldn't worry about it.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

As others have already said 100 miles no problem whatsoever

We do similar commute on M4 to central Bristol together with running around after and with contingency for road closure and no issues

So quiet and smooth, enjoy we do !!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete