4 Minutes from Entry to Climate Operation - 2.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

On entering my cold ID.3 none of the computer systems work immediately, so no Navigation, no Climate, no Mode, can't check state of charge, listen to radio, etc..

Navigation is available first, then vehicle, then mode, but it can be up to 220 seconds before the climate system is operational.

Is this the same for other ID.3s?

While I could drive away as soon as I get in the car, really not safe to do so in a cold car where the windows are steaming up, so effectively you can't get into an ID.3 and safely just drive.

Is this normal in modern cars?

2.3 did make the software system more responsive generally, but it is still awkward to operate where it will not respond on the first press, then following a second press, both presses will be registered simultaneously seconds later.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practicing that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.

Or, just press the MAX button on the light control panel to the left of the steering wheel.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've waited far longer for an ICE car to heat up.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The heater in mine kicks in after about 20 seconds - sometimes less.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:59 am Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practising that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.
Or, just press the MAX button on the light control panel to the left of the steering wheel.
Thanks good workarounds/features - as you say changing habits for a different car.
I had assumed the MAX button would only work once computer system were up, but if it works immediately that would be a great fix.
G43FAN wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 am I've waited far longer for an ICE car to heat up.
ID3 is generally good for heating, but at least with the ICE you could start the heating immediately whereas with ID3 I wasn't able to, so would be a distraction while driving.
MotMot wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:34 am The heater in mine kicks in after about 20 seconds - sometimes less.
I thought I was exaggerating so filmed it this morning and took 220 seconds before i could access the climate screen, so something is wrong with my car.
The car had been locked / charging for 12 hours, unlocked car blank infotainment screen for 10 seconds, then Welcome screen, then Online screen, then blank navigation screen, ..... If I stop for only a short time and then drive again the systems come on faster.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

When you start it defaults (before any screen coming up) to the last settings. So mine is set to 19 deg with ac on - and pretty much from when I sit in the seat it starts warming to that temp. Regardless of getting the climate screen up.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

scott28tt wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:59 am Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practicing that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.

Same here. I didn't do much with the app through the Summer and a lot of the time it didnt respond if I did. I now start the heating with it plugged into the granny, no drop in range so 2.3 kw must do the job. Wife is loving the toasty warm car. No condensation. I like the way the app counts the 30 minute pre heat down as well. Prevents "Im just going to change these shoes, did I Ieave my straightners on, should I change into jeans, I need a Wee first, where is my purse....the Wife's no better either πŸ˜‚
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

With any ICE car the cabin heater relies on the water circulating around the engine to get hot which takes time, I think its just another change of mind set when you own an EV.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Never tried the Max setting before for clearing and heating. Just went out to the car to try and virtually immediately after touching the Max button, the indicated range available dropped from 203 to 155!!!
So I guess it takes a LOT of juice?
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:25 pm Never tried the Max setting before for clearing and heating. Just went out to the car to try and virtually immediately after touching the Max button, the indicated range available dropped from 203 to 155!!!

What did you expect? It goes back up as soon as you switch MAX off again.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:41 pm
Scratch wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:25 pm Never tried the Max setting before for clearing and heating. Just went out to the car to try and virtually immediately after touching the Max button, the indicated range available dropped from 203 to 155!!!

I didn't know what to expect! That's why I tried it! Yes it went back up but I didn't actually drive the car anywhere. If Max is needed for any length of time, does it indeed have a large impact on the available mileage? If we know, then this is something to bear in mind when considering a long journey.
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:45 pm

I didn't know what to expect! That's why I tried it! Yes it went back up but I didn't actually drive the car anywhere. If Max is needed for any length of time, does it indeed have a large impact on the available mileage? If we know, then this is something to bear in mind when considering a long journey.

Have a look at the consumption data on the infotainment system in real time while you operate those kinds of functions.

Of course, the greater the power consumption the worse your range will be.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

This morning - 6 degrees - the battery heater chewed up to 10kw for the first 5 min (peak reading was 11!!). Then rapidly dropped to 2.5kw and 1.5kw.

In the grand scheme of things - the cabin heater is not going to massively effect your range. The battery heater will - if you do lots of short journeys with a time in between for it to cool down again.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It'll have no great bearing on a long journey because you won't have Max on for long during that long journey, but the range drop is calculating the range based on the assumption you'll keep max on.

It's like putting on your central heating to warm a cold house - initially the boiler is working hard to heat the radiators and then once you are at the desired temp, the energy needed to maintain tain it is tiny in comparison.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:04 pm

It'll have no great bearing on a long journey because you won't have Max on for long during that long journey, but the range drop is calculating the range based on the assumption you'll keep max on.

It's like putting on your central heating to warm a cold house - initially the boiler is working hard to heat the radiators and then once you are at the desired temp, the energy needed to maintain tain it is tiny in comparison.
I should check the manual but does the Max cut out automatically after a set time? Much like a heated rear window.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

MotMot wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:28 pm When you start it defaults (before any screen coming up) to the last settings. So mine is set to 19 deg with ac on - and pretty much from when I sit in the seat it starts warming to that temp. Regardless of getting the climate screen up.
Mine didn't do anything until the climate system was available.
This morning starting the car from cold, the car was silent until I was able to start the fan 3:50 after having unlocked the car.
I parked the car at 9:55pm yesterday having driven 150miles with the fan on etc..
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

You could always turn on Auxiliary Air Conditioning. It's in the mobile app so it's probably in the car somewhere as well. In Settings on the App if you enable it, the heating comes on as soon as you unlock the car, then no need to wait 220secs
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

simonrg wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:18 pm
MotMot wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:28 pm When you start it defaults (before any screen coming up) to the last settings. So mine is set to 19 deg with ac on - and pretty much from when I sit in the seat it starts warming to that temp. Regardless of getting the climate screen up.
Mine didn't do anything until the climate system was available.
This morning starting the car from cold, the car was silent until I was able to start the fan 3:50 after having unlocked the car.
I parked the car at 9:55pm yesterday having driven 150miles with the fan on etc..
I just went out to check this behaviour on mine. My climate control comes on as soon as I get in the car (same settings as left), and I can use the max button, change the temperature, and switch the heated seats on by double tapping, all while the climate control menu is unavailable.

It does sound like the behaviour you're seeing is not typical.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a Β£50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

scott28tt wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:59 am Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practicing that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.

Pre-heating is absolutely brilliant. I find it's most useful for defrosting on a really cold day. I have actually started setting my morning departure times 15 minutes too late, as I find that even with a really badly frosted up car, 15 minutes of preheating is all that's required to get it ready to drive.

It would be good if the preheating was a bit more intelligent, ideally if it could learn how much time to preheat for based on the ambient temperature, rather than always coming on for 30 minutes.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a Β£50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TheJimster wrote: ↑Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 pm

Pre-heating is absolutely brilliant. I find it's most useful for defrosting on a really cold day. I have actually started setting my morning departure times 15 minutes too late, as I find that even with a really badly frosted up car, 15 minutes of preheating is all that's required to get it ready to drive.

It would be good if the preheating was a bit more intelligent, ideally if it could learn how much time to preheat for based on the ambient temperature, rather than always coming on for 30 minutes.
It would also be good if the pre-heating worked more than 50% of the time. As the command for this has to go to the VW servers and back to the car, is it iffy due to a poor signal for the in-car sim? Where we live the signal strength is only usually 2 bars.