4 Minutes from Entry to Climate Operation - 2.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:23 am
TheJimster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 pm
scott28tt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:59 am Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practicing that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.

Or, just press the MAX button on the light control panel to the left of the steering wheel.
Pre-heating is absolutely brilliant. I find it's most useful for defrosting on a really cold day. I have actually started setting my morning departure times 15 minutes too late, as I find that even with a really badly frosted up car, 15 minutes of preheating is all that's required to get it ready to drive.

It would be good if the preheating was a bit more intelligent, ideally if it could learn how much time to preheat for based on the ambient temperature, rather than always coming on for 30 minutes.
It would also be good if the pre-heating worked more than 50% of the time. As the command for this has to go to the VW servers and back to the car, is it iffy due to a poor signal for the in-car sim? Where we live the signal strength is only usually 2 bars.

My car has 1 bar of 4G on the drive, sometimes 0 bars shown but still connected.

I've never had the climate system NOT start remotely in the car, even if the acknowledgement hasn't made it all the way back to the app to say it worked.

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Scratch wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:23 am
TheJimster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 pm
scott28tt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:59 am Pre-heat via the app, rather than get into a steamed up car? I'm practicing that behaviour this winter, I didn't get into the habit last year.

Or, just press the MAX button on the light control panel to the left of the steering wheel.
Pre-heating is absolutely brilliant. I find it's most useful for defrosting on a really cold day. I have actually started setting my morning departure times 15 minutes too late, as I find that even with a really badly frosted up car, 15 minutes of preheating is all that's required to get it ready to drive.

It would be good if the preheating was a bit more intelligent, ideally if it could learn how much time to preheat for based on the ambient temperature, rather than always coming on for 30 minutes.
It would also be good if the pre-heating worked more than 50% of the time. As the command for this has to go to the VW servers and back to the car, is it iffy due to a poor signal for the in-car sim? Where we live the signal strength is only usually 2 bars.
50% hit rate seems a bit much. Mine didn't play ball this morning, possibly the coldest morning this week and really missed it! Haven't delved into why sometimes the seats come on as does the steering wheel, but sometimes not. Took the dogs 5 mins down the road to the park, still couldn't turn the heating on via the app while walking, got the error about not being able to communicate with the car. Got home, tried again and it worked. Random but infrequent glitches seem the norm with this car.
Last edited by Leccy on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

With regards to the app as an android user I find making sure the app is fully closed and restarted each time I need it makes a difference. I also trust in the first tap to send the signal and then just leave the phone for a couple of minutes then check. Most times the car heating starts regardless of the phone updating.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:33 am With regards to the app as an android user I find making sure the app is fully closed and restarted each time I need it makes a difference. I also trust in the first tap to send the signal and then just leave the phone for a couple of minutes then check. Most times the car heating starts regardless of the phone updating.
Android with me as well. I have only been using this facilty since early November but it hasn't failed once. Sometimes the app isn't quick to update but 100% reliable. I have stopped looking out for the green light from my Window.
It also stops me using my ICE car which is really ICE by name and ICE by nature on recent very cold mornings!
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:28 pm
simonrg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:18 pm
MotMot wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:28 pm When you start it defaults (before any screen coming up) to the last settings. So mine is set to 19 deg with ac on - and pretty much from when I sit in the seat it starts warming to that temp. Regardless of getting the climate screen up.
Mine didn't do anything until the climate system was available.
This morning starting the car from cold, the car was silent until I was able to start the fan 3:50 after having unlocked the car.
I parked the car at 9:55pm yesterday having driven 150miles with the fan on etc..
I just went out to check this behaviour on mine. My climate control comes on as soon as I get in the car (same settings as left), and I can use the max button, change the temperature, and switch the heated seats on by double tapping, all while the climate control menu is unavailable.

It does sound like the behaviour you're seeing is not typical.
The behaviour seems to be depend on whether the car has decided to puts itself to sleep or not, I gave up with worrying about the climate system being unavailable when I get in the car and have been using the app instead.

I don't understand why the car seems to be in a range of different states when you first get in, in order of increasing usefulness:
  • Central screen black - after a short while Volkswagen Welcome screen appears, then have to wait for all systems to boot up before mode, clime, sat nav, etc. available.
  • Volkswagen Welcome screen displayed
  • Online/Offline mode selection screen
  • Sat-nav displayed with empty search screen
  • Sat-nav displayed with favourites showing - trying any other system displays unavailable
  • Sat-nav displayed with favourites showing - some other systems work / data displays waiting
I can't find a correlation between time car is off and state the car will be in:
  • I can get out of car, lock then a few minutes later set off again but find central screen is blank.
  • I can in after leaving car charging overnight to find Sat-nav ready to go
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire