Update from VW

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

This was posted today in the ID. Drivers Club on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/volkswageniddriversclub

Dear ID. Drivers,

In the past few weeks, we have received many similar questions on essential topics. In the following, we have summarized the most important information according to the current status and hope that it will answer most of your questions. Further questions on these or other topics are welcome, and we will continue to make every effort to provide you with answers as quickly as possible. We ask for your understanding that we will not be able to provide more precise information on specific dates until later.

Enhancements to the We Connect ID. App
We are continuously working on improving and enhancing the app. Some new functions have already been added, most recently, for example, the preconditioning timer and the possibility of activating charging stations via the app. From the beginning of next year (2022), the app will receive additional functions that are also strongly based on your feedback (e.g. Car Finder).

Updatability of already produced vehicles from the ID. Family
Of course, we are also constantly optimizing the hardware of the ID.s - but in less finely timed steps than the software (usually with new model years or major product upgrades). It is our goal to design software updates during the year in such a way that existing ID. vehicles benefit from software improvements for as long as possible. This is possible because not all updates dig deep into the operating system or depend on new hardware.

Increasing the charging capacity via Over-the-Air (OTA) update
At the moment, the control units (ECU = electronic control unit) responsible for this are not yet updateable over-the-air. However, we are currently preparing a service campaign to which your Volkswagen partner will invite you and from which you will benefit in several ways:
  • You will receive a new, technologically updated 12 V battery - the actual reason for the service campaign.
  • At the same time, further ECUs will be made OTA updateable.
  • Improvements in winter performance and improvements in the experience of future OTA updates.
Please note that the prerequisite for the installation of these is ID.Software2.3.

Retrofittability of hardware (for subsequent activation of additional functions)
There are very strong technical dependencies between the vehicle components. Therefore, a partial hardware exchange does not usually lead to a securely functioning system. Of course, we will look at the possibility of subsequent hardware installation individually for each hardware update.

Errors in the use of the function - "Preferred charging times"
Various measures are currently being prepared for this and will be part of one of the upcoming update campaigns.

Range optimization at low outside temperatures
With the upcoming ID. Software update, we are introducing improvements through optimized thermal management. This reduces consumption and thus increases the range by adjusting the activation threshold of the battery heating, especially in short-haul operation. At the same time, the charging performance in winter is improved by adjusting the heating threshold for DC charging.

In a further step, the preconditioning of the high-voltage battery during AC charging is also improved. The maximum charging power will also be increased. The optimization of the heating curves for the interior in the new climate software also contributes to increasing efficiency on short journeys in winter.

As you can see, many of the improvements are based on your feedback and ideas!

Thank you very much and best regards,
Your Volkswagen ID. Team

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Thanks Scott an interesting update.

Especially like 'Retrofittability' that has replaced my long standing favourite of 'Upgradation'.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Yes, thanks Scott, especially as I'm another non-faceache/meta user! Pity they assume everyone is!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks for that Scott. I noted this:

"The maximum charging power will also be increased."

22kW charging?

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Thanks Scott

Very interesting as I’m another not on Facebook!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Andreas wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:24 pm Thanks for that Scott. I noted this:

22kW charging?

All the best

Andreas
I'd imagine that's DC not AC. As I think AC is hardware limited.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Thanks for the update.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Really interesting information, thanks
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks Scott. Interesting.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm ...........
Range optimization at low outside temperatures
With the upcoming ID. Software update, we are introducing improvements through optimized thermal management. This reduces consumption and thus increases the range by adjusting the activation threshold of the battery heating, especially in short-haul operation. At the same time, the charging performance in winter is improved by adjusting the heating threshold for DC charging.

In a further step, the preconditioning of the high-voltage battery during AC charging is also improved. The maximum charging power will also be increased. The optimization of the heating curves for the interior in the new climate software also contributes to increasing efficiency on short journeys in winter.
Thanks.

I particularly like the focus on core functions which ID.3 does not appear to behave as well as some other BEVs, so smaller range drop in winter would be a great step forward.

I note the We Connect ID. App is still referred to rather than just We Connect, so I guess the full range of We Connect functions aren't coming yet.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Thanks for sharing this for all us non-Facebook users.
All sounds good and encouraging, even though the timescales are not explicit.
Improving the winter range, particularly for short journeys, would be the biggest improvement for me, so if they can make that happen it would be great.
Not clear to me if the increase in maximum charging power refers to AC or DC, but if the car could charge at 22KW AC I would very much welcome that as well as there are quite a lot of 22KW AC chargers where I am.
Should be grateful for anything they improve at no additional cost I guess - not sure I have had that with any previous cars :)
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

It’ll be DC charging. 22kW AC charging exceeds the hardware fitted to the car.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
TimF

Post by TimF »

Interesting stuff. Thanks for passing it on. I wonder how much real-world benefit there will be from the tweaks to the way various systems and sub-systems behave to improve winter range?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Anduain wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:03 pm
Andreas wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:24 pm Thanks for that Scott. I noted this:

22kW charging?

All the best

Andreas
I'd imagine that's DC not AC. As I think AC is hardware limited.
Thanks, yeah should have figured that myself. Duh. :oops:

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)