Voice control

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I realise quite a few peeps on here have turned it off for one reason or another but is there a list somewhere that tells us what you can actually control with voice control? I could swear blind that I have told it to change the temperature in the cabin previously but today it said it could not control the air conditioning when I tried it.
Are some commands dependant on the model i.e. Life model has fewer commands that the tour model?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Pretty sure you get prompted to show a list of potential commands if you wake it up then don’t say anything, and it’s also in the Help system.

You can’t voice control the climate system if it’s only single zone, such as on the Life spec.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 pm Pretty sure you get prompted to show a list of potential commands if you wake it up then don’t say anything, and it’s also in the Help system.

You can’t voice control the climate system if it’s only single zone, such as on the Life spec.
Thanks. I may be a bit old fashioned. I rather prefer to have something physical to read instead of sitting in the car wading through menus. Having said that, a comprehensive on-line (i.e internet on computer/tablet) manual would be equally good for me. Unfortunately, the VW on-line manual is rather non-intuitive and lacking in detail.
Seems a bit tight of VW to restrict climate voice control to the dual climate versions.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

VW make you pay extra for voice control in many models. I’m amazed it wasn’t the same for the ID.3!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:06 am
scott28tt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 pm Pretty sure you get prompted to show a list of potential commands if you wake it up then don’t say anything, and it’s also in the Help system.

Thanks. I may be a bit old fashioned. I rather prefer to have something physical to read instead of sitting in the car wading through menus. Having said that, a comprehensive on-line (i.e internet on computer/tablet) manual would be equally good for me. Unfortunately, the VW on-line manual is rather non-intuitive and lacking in detail.
Seems a bit tight of VW to restrict climate voice control to the dual climate versions.

Basic list would include navigation, radio, volume, and climate if you have dual-zone.

Oh, and a crap joke.
camsoft2000

Post by camsoft2000 »

Utumno wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 am VW make you pay extra for voice control in many models. I’m amazed it wasn’t the same for the ID.3!
So it's more likely a legal safety requirement. They have pretty much removed all mechanical buttons in the ID models so muscle memory isn't going to work as many options are either via touch-sensitive buttons or through on-screen menus. This is 100% without a doubt a way to save money on the expensive cost to design and build the cars. I believe the law prohibits using the touch screen or anything that distracts the user when driving so voice-control is the only option that allows the driver to keep their eyes on the road.

I'm not sure the car would be road legal without voice control tbh.
Original order : ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance. *Cancelled*

Subsequent order: Polestar 2 pre-config *cancelled*

Current car: 2022 ID.4 Style 58kWh, s/w 3.0
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

camsoft2000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:18 am
Utumno wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 am VW make you pay extra for voice control in many models. I’m amazed it wasn’t the same for the ID.3!
So it's more likely a legal safety requirement. They have pretty much removed all mechanical buttons in the ID models so muscle memory isn't going to work as many options are either via touch-sensitive buttons or through on-screen menus. This is 100% without a doubt a way to save money on the expensive cost to design and build the cars. I believe the law prohibits using the touch screen or anything that distracts the user when driving so voice-control is the only option that allows the driver to keep their eyes on the road.

I'm not sure the car would be road legal without voice control tbh.

Hadn't thought of this at all as a factor, fascinating perspective :-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

The law says whilst driving a touchscreen is only acceptable for one touch operation according to my recent drivers awareness course.

So pressing to accept a call, change radio station, adjust heating etc whilst driving is all fine, but programming in a location on sat nav is not.
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I've found voice control about as good as those automated phone systems that ask you what you want to do and, after some thought, decide that they don't understand. It's slow and not very clever, so I don't use it. (Perhaps it responds better to commands in German, who knows?)

However, if you press the Help tile in the main Infotainment menu, there's a Voice Control icon on the left hand side of the Help entry screen. Press this and you should get a list of command examples for various actions.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:30 pm I've found voice control about as good as those automated phone systems that ask you what you want to do and, after some thought, decide that they don't understand. It's slow and not very clever, so I don't use it. (Perhaps it responds better to commands in German, who knows?)

However, if you press the Help tile in the main Infotainment menu, there's a Voice Control icon on the left hand side of the Help entry screen. Press this and you should get a list of command examples for various actions.
(Perhaps it responds better to commands in German, who knows?)
I tried that and I think the reply from the car was "as you are no longer a member of the European Union....................................." :o