ID3 advertised range.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

beacon39 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:59 am Hi Dolgellau, welcome to the Forum.
I hope you're not too disappointed with responses to your post regarding range. I'm sure you'll love the car anyway and you'll soon come to terms with its vagaries. There's lots of useful information posted on the Forum by members to help you.

On the question of range, I did manage to achieve over 280 miles (100% equivalent) during the recent mild weather but then I think my driving style is even more economical than ECO Mode. :)
You are right beacon39.
Dolgellau has not had an
overwhelmingly warm reception.
So to put some positives back in as you have.
From 14C upwards I see a projected range in excess of 280 miles.
Right now 7C its 222 miles.
At zero C I expect around 185 miles.
Up sides. Despite the range being more difficult to grasp than a bar of soap in a bath the drive is superb. Quick, smooth, silent.
I charge at 5p/kW overnight. A little over 1p/mile.
Preheat the cabin whilst plugged in so as not to draw from the battery to maximise range.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

my 58kwh id.3 is showing me about 180 miles range when fully charged. 10 degrees c here roughly at the moment. I've got a bit of a heavy right foot

showing 3.3 miles per kWh as the long term average
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Jonr37 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm my 58kwh id.3 is showing me about 180 miles range when fully charged. 10 degrees c here roughly at the moment. I've got a bit of a heavy right foot

And a warm cabin?
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Jonr37 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm my 58kwh id.3 is showing me about 180 miles range when fully charged. 10 degrees c here roughly at the moment. I've got a bit of a heavy right foot

We have 3.4 as the long term average over the past 6000 miles. It started at that and has not changed at all. I envy those people who are getting over 4 miles on average. We have a heat-pump as well.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

gailjon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:18 pm

We have 3.4 as the long term average over the past 6000 miles. It started at that and has not changed at all. I envy those people who are getting over 4 miles on average. We have a heat-pump as well.
Mine was 3.3 after 6000 miles so I reset it thinking I'd gotten used to it and wouldn't be 'experimenting' so much.. It's 3.0 currently. I live up a hill, that's my excuse.
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

Yeah, heating on, lights on, radio on etc etc

It’s a company car so i drive it (kind of) like i stole it

Really happy with it so far :-)

Not had our home charger installed yet, so relying on the public charging network. Will be much easier once home charge point is installed
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am
That's interesting, I didn't know NEDC had changed to incorporate stop/start. I used to run a 2010 BMW 120d coupe which claimed 53mpg, and I used to get about 50, which I thought was pretty good. For the last four years (until we get our ID3) I've been running a 64 plate Octavia VRS (engine size and performance almost identical to the 120d but bigger car), which claims something ridiculous in the mid 60s mpg combined but in practice I only get 46-47 (I assume this is the same engine as your 2013 GTD but I have never had more than mid 50s mpg even on a long run at 73 mph in cruise control, the gearing may be different as it's better at 50-60 in sixth). Maybe the test changed in between those two cars of mine being tested.
NEDC didn't change with the advent of stop start, but the results did. As said, 26% of the 11 minute cycle for NEDC was at a standstill. Pre stop-start, that was all burning fuel with the car idling. Once stop start.was implemented, the car with stop-srart was burning nothing at idle, skewing the figures. Take a 53mpg diesel on the NEDC cycle, slap.stop-start on with no other efficiency improvements and it becomes a "67mpg" car according to the cycle. The test cycle having 26% idle time doesn't even come close to representing reality outside heavily gridlocked roads.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Dolgellau01 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:48 pm Hi All
This is essentially a message to VW corporate from whom I would like an answer. It would also be interesting to hear from forum members about their experience on this question.
I took delivery of my Brand new unused ID3 ProPerformance Family EV on 2nd November. When I collected the car the indicated range at 99% charge was 222miles. The VW specification for this vehicle states a range of "up to 262" miles. I would like to understand why my brand new ID3 does not start it's life with the advertised range of 262mikes.
I look forward to VW's and forum members comments.

Hi
As stated elsewhere the range is worked out using the industry’s guidelines.
My long term average over 9000 miles is 4.3 that equates to about 249 range, BUT that would be based on 100% to empty and you would never drive any vehicle to empty.
The suggestion is to charge to 80% and recharge at 20%. This will give you a more real world range of anything between 150 to 180 miles .
Good luck with your new car it’s a pleasure to drive
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
zimmerman

Post by zimmerman »

Regarding the ‘warm cabin’ advice;

can you do this via an app?

Also, is this effectively charging the battery whilst the car is warming up? Is this detrimental to the battery life? Or do you have to time your charge you coincide with your departure?

Again, can this be done via an app (either switching on or setting a timer)?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

You can do it either way. I don't like the departure time option but if you set off at a particular time each day I can see the benefit.
I just use the WeConnect app that has the option of selecting start AC. It takes about 90 seconds to synch with the car and times down for 30 mins.
Even on a granny I am finding after 15 to 20 minutes the car is warm but not yet cold enough to know if it could also warm the battery pack sufficiently. Ambients of around 5C early morning have been fine.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
zimmerman

Post by zimmerman »

Thanks for the response.

But if I already had a decent charge, is sticking it on (charging) for 15 mins detrimental for the battery life? I don’t know anything about battery science/welfare (basing only on old school battery treatment).

eg if I’m charging it for 15 mins every morning (for 3 months a year, for talking sake)…. Is that going to be bad for the overall battery life? Shouldn’t I only be charging it for a good slug (taking it from 20% up to 80% for example)?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Im not sure what you mean?
If mine reaches 80% by 4am say and I turn Climate on to pre condition at 8am the battery is not in the equation as its reached its charge level.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
zimmerman

Post by zimmerman »

So does it use the mains power directly to heat up… or does it use some of your 80% charge?

I assume the former if the intention is to preserve your range?

Which is what I didn’t understand. I wasn’t sure if it was being heated by the battery and the battery was being charged at the same time.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

zimmerman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:09 am So does it use the mains power directly to heat up… or does it use some of your 80% charge?

I assume the former if the intention is to preserve your range?

Which is what I didn’t understand. I wasn’t sure if it was being heated by the battery and the battery was being charged at the same time.

It will always use the battery, but if the car is still being charged at the time then what power is being used will be replaced.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

EC79E79B-9DBF-4F69-B9F2-9B991C872B9D.jpeg

What Scott said - but an example: Ok - so this is an example from Monday. The chart is the current drawn from my charger. I put the car on charge - set to stop when it got to 80% which it did. Then about ten min later I needed to use the car so set the aircon to 19 degrees via the app and the car started to draw 2-3 kw from the charger again. In effect using the charger (via the HV battery) to warm the car.