ID3 advertised range.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
zimmerman

Post by zimmerman »

Thanks for the response.

But if I already had a decent charge, is sticking it on (charging) for 15 mins detrimental for the battery life? I don’t know anything about battery science/welfare (basing only on old school battery treatment).

eg if I’m charging it for 15 mins every morning (for 3 months a year, for talking sake)…. Is that going to be bad for the overall battery life? Shouldn’t I only be charging it for a good slug (taking it from 20% up to 80% for example)?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Im not sure what you mean?
If mine reaches 80% by 4am say and I turn Climate on to pre condition at 8am the battery is not in the equation as its reached its charge level.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
zimmerman

Post by zimmerman »

So does it use the mains power directly to heat up… or does it use some of your 80% charge?

I assume the former if the intention is to preserve your range?

Which is what I didn’t understand. I wasn’t sure if it was being heated by the battery and the battery was being charged at the same time.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

zimmerman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:09 am So does it use the mains power directly to heat up… or does it use some of your 80% charge?

I assume the former if the intention is to preserve your range?

Which is what I didn’t understand. I wasn’t sure if it was being heated by the battery and the battery was being charged at the same time.

It will always use the battery, but if the car is still being charged at the time then what power is being used will be replaced.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

EC79E79B-9DBF-4F69-B9F2-9B991C872B9D.jpeg

What Scott said - but an example: Ok - so this is an example from Monday. The chart is the current drawn from my charger. I put the car on charge - set to stop when it got to 80% which it did. Then about ten min later I needed to use the car so set the aircon to 19 degrees via the app and the car started to draw 2-3 kw from the charger again. In effect using the charger (via the HV battery) to warm the car.