Creaking dashboard

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Our ID.3 is wonderfully quiet, but that makes the creaking that comes from the top of the dashboard rather irritating. I get the impression that it comes from small movements between two parts of the dashboard/fascia when we drive over uneven roads.
Has anyone any experience of this?
I wondered if it would be worth squirting some silicone lubricant between the sheets of plastic?
Any thoughts?
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Yes, we have the same. It's worse when the car is cold, and as you note on unimproved roads. Apparently it's related to the fixing of the HUD unit in the dashboard, so doubt there is much you can do.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
craig

Post by craig »

when my car was at dealers I told them about the creaking I was told that it was a problem VW knew about they stripped mine down and it now seems ok now only hear creak on big bumps in road
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I wondered how long that would take to become a problem. It's such a quiet car to drive, any squeak would become torture for me. Still, as dealers used to say back in the day, turn the radio up!
Tom Dickan-Harry

Post by Tom Dickan-Harry »

I'm encouraged that there are others out there with a similar issue. My car is returning to the dealers at the end of the month for a third attempt at resolving the creaking dashboard. As with Andreas's car, it's coming from around the HUD unit, so directly in front of the driver. There doesn't appear to be any correlation with temperature differences just bumps in the road.

The dealership replaced the whole dash on the second visit, but the noise reappeared less than a week later. I'm not sure what options are left for them but they do appear to be genuinely keen to get it resolved.
apocani

Post by apocani »

Heard the same annoying creaking sound when I test drove an ID3 at my local dealer. Pointed it out to them but they had no idea what it was or how to fix it.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

The creaking hud surround happens to ours occasionally, I’ve got rid of cars for that sort of thing in the past!
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

When the car was in for Software version 2.4 to be installed I asked them to look at the dashboard. They agreed that the creaking was not normal and have ordered a replacement. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
craig

Post by craig »

had the same creaking from the hud dealer sorted it been fine ever since sure they had a information from VW about being a known issue and how to fix
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
jhg

Post by jhg »

I had this issue with mine, coming from the area where the cover of the HUD contacts the dashboard. I mentioned it on a visit to the dealer and when I collected the car they claimed to have fixed it, but the problem was still there. I eventually fixed it myself. I purchased a thin strip of neoprene rubber (maybe 1.5mm, I'm not sure now) from amazon and stuffed it between the edge of the HUD cover and the dashboard. This was several months ago and I've had no recurrence of the creaking since then.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

After a longish wait for a new part our VW dealer has now replaced our creaking part and the car is even quieter. Good result.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
jonID

Post by jonID »

I think I have the same issue with mine, thinking of doing the same fix as @jhg with the 1.5mm neoprene. Can anyone share a photo of the specific spot behind the HUD unit where the noise comes from?
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

The replacement part silenced our creaking dashboard/HUD interface, for two or three weeks, then it came back. I put a little silicone spray on it and that almost silenced it. I don't mind doing that occasionally.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
jonID

Post by jonID »

Would you mind telling me / upload a photo showing which part it was that was replaced, and where the silicone spray was used? Thanks.