Tricky Decision

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Baggieman

Post by Baggieman »

We have been weighing up the choice between an ID3 Family Pro Performance (head) and an Peuguot E208 GT (heart)! A close run thing for our requirements.

The ID3 has the range, space and flexibility - the E208 has the drive, interior quality and seat comfort (and is £2k cheaper!)

Decision time approaching fast - any thoughts from people who are actually using the ID3 rather than just a test drive on whether we should with head or heart?

Appreciate any views!
Family 58W Pro Performance
Kings Red

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Does lead time effect your decision at all?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Id3 is an EV from the ground up - hence the better space and range. 208 isn’t.

Generally the depreciation on Vw is considerably better than Peugeot - so after 1-2 years that 2k price difference may have gone…

For me Range is an important one - simply means you don’t have to charge as often. Bit depends what you want the car for etc…
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

I also pondered between the same 2 vehicles for a very short time.
I cover about 20k miles a year so the E208 just wouldn't cut it on a daily basis for me from a range perspective. Space and flexibility were also secondary deciding factors for me.
Can't comment on the interior quality of the Peugeot but give me a firm German seat over a soft French seat any day of the week.
I ordered my ID3 on a salary sacrifice scheme which came out cheaper monthly payments than going with the Peugeot which made it a no brainer for me.
Last edited by Splash-Man on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
majesticmatt

Post by majesticmatt »

You also need to consider availability, lots of people are waiting approaching 6 months for an ID3, some longer.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hiya Baggieman
Welcome to the forum
I can't vouch for an E208 but would be surprised if the drive is better than the ID3
Pro Performance?
I moved from a 2.3 Ecoboost ST focus that was really fast and agile but the ID3 isn't so far away that it felt a huge step backwards. I have a Life Pro Perf so the interior is a bit basic but it's typical VW practical. It's my family car and still run an ICE for a bit longer. That's a BMW 30iSDrive Z4 that I bought when I retired. More increasingly I drive the ID3 out of choice.
I have no range concerns or charging issues with the ID3. Its been amazing.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

We have had our pro performance life model now for over two months and 2000 miles. It has been totally reliable with no issues whatsoever. The ride and handling is the best of any car I have owned so not sure I know what you mean when you say 'drive'. The seat comfort is also second to none. The interior is fine and should be hard wearing. We originally wanted the family model but as the dealer had a Life PP with 19 inch alloys in stock we are glad we went for it. I can live without the reversing camera, the sunroof is just a glass panel and doesn't open and the standards LED headlamps are great.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The only other BEV I test drove was the e208 - I really didn't like the interior or the feel of the drive.

The rows of buttons/switches below the infotainment screen looked like an afterthought, I couldn't see all of the screen behind the odd-shaped steering wheel no matter what adjustments I made, and it just felt dull to drive.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I know 2 people with e208s and they both have an ID3 on order. As French cars go, the e208 isn't bad at all - the interior is much higher spec than I was expecting.

As already said, the residuals of the ID3 will be much better, so tgat oriented differential will be gone when you change cars in future.

You came onto a VW forum to ask which car should you buy, no one here's going to say the Peugeot! :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Baggieman wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 am We have been weighing up the choice between an ID3 Family Pro Performance (head) and an Peuguot E208 GT (heart)! A close run thing for our requirements.

The ID3 has the range, space and flexibility - the E208 has the drive, interior quality and seat comfort (and is £2k cheaper!)

Decision time approaching fast - any thoughts from people who are actually using the ID3 rather than just a test drive on whether we should with head or heart?

Appreciate any views!
We have one and have the other on order. e208 is hers. ID3 is me downsizing from a large SUV. Our e208 is a replacement for a Mini One. We liked it as it had 4 doors and the interior was a breath of fresh air after looking at the new Mini Electric and realising the interior was identical to the 5 year old Mini One apart from a digital speedo. Of course the e208 is an ICE with battery adaptation so it will always be compromised but we are finding it very capable and did 150 miles of motorway over the summer and got home without charging so total summer range at 70mph approx 170 miles. I love the seats, they are very firm and supportive and feel better than the ID3 seats....but no massage. I felt ID3 seats lack lateral support in comparison. Being front wheel drive it's easy to spin the wheels in the wet. All in all we love it as a city car for occasional trips further afield. When my Tour eventually arrives it will be the long distance vehicle. I wanted a purpose built EV with hatch back and small form factor for parking and traffic.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6