Ordering Granny cable with car - does it remove type 2

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
stevet284

Post by stevet284 »

Hi all,

I am about to order an ID3.

I would like to get a granny cable because we are planning on moving house next year, so I am thinking we can make do with the granny cable until we get to the new house. Plus I am quite certain Installation of a type 2 charger in the current house will be expensive due to the positioning of the consumer unit,

My dealer is telling me if we add the granny cable to the order (£180 as per the configurator) the system removes the type 2 cable from the order.
So the only way to get both the granny cable and type 2 cable with the car is to order it as an accessory for £219.

I know its only £40 and we are talking about a £30K car.. I think he is talking rubbish. ( he also tried to tell me it was £800 for the bike prep) - but I would appreciate if anyone could confirm ?

Many Thanks
Steve

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Can only speak for myself, we ordered a granny charger and got both. Certainly was never suggested we would not get the type to nor can I believe it’s something VW would want.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

If you look at the spec for the ID.3 a "Charging cable mode 3, Type 2: 7.2kW / 32 A" is a Standard Specification.
The Mode 2 (3-pin) mains charging cable (Type 2, 230V 1-phase AC, 6 metres) is an Option to purchase if you want to.
I asked why there was a price difference between factory order and dealership parts and the answer was its a mark up for the dealer and you are not paying for shipping of the 3 pin cable as it is thrown in the back of your ID.3 at factory.
On the configurator it does not state in lieu of the main Type 2 cable.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pretty sure the dealeros talking bollocks. All ID3s come with a type 2cable - you're paying extra for the additional granny cable.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Dealer is definitely talking out of their kazoo. Granny cable is an accessory that for some reason costs less when ordered with car than when ordered afterwards from dealer. We used granny cable for a few weeks after ordering car before our Andersen was fitted. We had no issues at all.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

stevet284 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:23 am Hi all,

I would like to get a granny cable because we are planning on moving house next year, so I am thinking we can make do with the granny cable until we get to the new house. Plus I am quite certain Installation of a type 2 charger in the current house will be expensive due to the positioning of the consumer unit,

My dealer is telling me if we add the granny cable to the order (£180 as per the configurator) the system removes the type 2 cable from the order.
So the only way to get both the granny cable and type 2 cable with the car is to order it as an accessory for £219.

I know its only £40 and we are talking about a £30K car.. I think he is talking rubbish. ( he also tried to tell me it was £800 for the bike prep) - but I would appreciate if anyone could confirm ?

Many Thanks
Steve
When you say "your dealer", you must surely mean a specific salesman.

If so, just speak to the sales manager or beyond, because that amount of nonsense he's telling you will damage their reputation.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Dealer BS.

Type 2 cable is standard regardless.

Makes me wonder if they would remove it, dodgy buggers.

The tow hitch costs less if installed at the factory than at the dealership, so if you do want one make it part of your factory order.
QPRfan

Post by QPRfan »

There is a brand new genuine VW Granny on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334323083312

I was "watching" this item and a few others on ebay. Yesterday I was invited to but it for £140

So you might want to approach the seller by sending them a message and offer them £140? It would save you a few Bob

Incidentally I bought a new VW Granny on ebay last week for £130 (and forgot to unwatch the above item - hence the invittaion to but I received yesterday)

The offer I received said

Because you viewed this item, here’s a special offer.
A few other interested buyers also received this offer so it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage of this offer right away.
Offer: £140.00
Review offer

Discount
13%
Offer valid
48h
Postage
Free

electric car charger type 2, 2 Genuine Brand New VW Electric Car Chargers

electric car charger type 2, 2 Genuine Brand New VW Electric Car...
Item ID: 334323083312
Buy it now price: £160.00
Your offer: £140.00
Seller: rocketworld_2012(19)
Life Pro Performance - Moonstone.
On order January 2022 via Nationwide Vehicle Contracts
As at 25/2/22 unconfirmed build date week 40 ( 02/10/22 )
ORDER Cancelled March 18th and replaced by an 'in stock' Kona 64 Premium arriving late April
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

On the bike prep side, the work is about half the price if you order it with the car. For the benefit of the doubt, he may have done a few retrofits and have that price in his head.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
terryy

Post by terryy »

stevet284 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:23 am Hi all,

I know its only £40 and we are talking about a £30K car.. I think he is talking rubbish. ( he also tried to tell me it was £800 for the bike prep ) - but I would appreciate if anyone could confirm ?

Many Thanks
Steve
In general, work on bike prep should cost less, as already mentioned here.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Ask them to give you it for free, we were not charged for our Granny Cable and still got the normal cable.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I bought a granny cable from amazon and I used it for a month until I had the installation.

Has been excellent
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08YN9 ... _asin_titl
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674