Cost of a refill - recharge

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

rawws wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:54 am
scott28tt wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 pm
rawws wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 pm

That is why the 7kw are rarely used, and why I use them my local Tesco has no parking restrictions and it's a 10min walk home so I charge it for few hours 5-6 hours when my battery is under 15% so charge to 80% . I use it early morning when the store isn't busy and the chargers are always available even at busy times

Yep, that’s freeloading.
Well whatever you wanna call it, it isn't illegal. If it had a cost I would still use it so not my fault its free :D

Oh well, just carry on being a sponger then. Let everyone else pay for your charging instead of taking responsibility for yourself.

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

OUCH! :o
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Averloc

Post by Averloc »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:41 am
Looking at the 4.5 miles per kWh figure, there's about 50kWh used in 205 miles - it'll be the 58kWh battery.

Yeah, I have the 58kWh Life Pro - collected in August.

Long term:

1628 miles
23 mph average
69:28 h
3.9 mi/kWh
rawws

Post by rawws »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am
scott28tt wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Yep, that’s freeloading.
Well whatever you wanna call it, it isn't illegal. If it had a cost I would still use it so not my fault its free :D

Oh well, just carry on being a sponger then. Let everyone else pay for your charging instead of taking responsibility for yourself.
These companies make a fortune anyway, I have monitored the 4 pod points there, this week guess what there have only been used once on one of the bays the other 3 bays haven't been used for over week. If I am a free loader so be it I see it as doing my bit for environment, those pod points would be a waste if not used, and me installing one creates more unnecessary waste of equipment etc when there is no benefit to me or the environment I have seen many install when they actually don't need them depends with where you live I guess, Tesco podpoints are renewable energy anyway it's a win win overall and am not hogging space for anyone. 8-)
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

If someone is openly offering free charging with no strings, I do not see how this is sponging. If it is convenient, it would be silly not to take up the offer.

Are people spongers for using O2 Priorities for free Cafe Nero drinks or Greggs? What about accepting a discount on an ID.3? How about charging free at work?

To call someone a sponger in such circumstances is just wrong and abusive.

For some people a home charger is not cost effective and is merely a convenience.

Is avoiding paying Vehicle Excise Duty as you have an EV sponging?
Last edited by Cherry on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Yep, still polarised views all round.
vivre et laisser vivre.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

rawws wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 pm
scott28tt wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am

These companies make a fortune anyway, I have monitored the 4 pod points there, this week guess what there have only been used once on one of the bays the other 3 bays haven't been used for over week. If I am a free loader so be it I see it as doing my bit for environment, those pod points would be a waste if not used, and me installing one creates more unnecessary waste of equipment etc when there is no benefit to me or the environment I have seen many install when they actually don't need them depends with where you live I guess, Tesco podpoints are renewable energy anyway it's a win win overall and am not hogging space for anyone. 8-)

More completely irrelevant information to attempt to justify your selfish actions.

They’re not yours to choose to use how you see fit.
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

Ignoring the ugly name-calling part of the argument, there is another way to look at this.

Tesco are installing chargers for people to use, but it’s not altruism. They did the math and know that you’re always going to spend money with them if they can get you inside. They spend huge amounts of money reminding us that they exist - “Every little helps” and compared to the power draw of a supermarket, a potential customer charging his car will cost them nothing. It’s like offering buy one get one free on a few items. Charging customer cars is a loss-leader. So to Tesco, us charging our cars for free, even if we don’t always buy anything during that visit, it’s still a win. Hearts and minds. You’ll drive your charged up car away, and you’ll think positive thoughts about Tesco.

Taking up a spot for a few hours is a different argument, but it’s still not necessarily the crime it’s being made out to be. If it’s off peak hours and the charger is empty, no one loses, it’s a non-argument. If it’s busy and the argument is that there are not enough chargers, it’s still not a crime. Tesco have the metrics on their chargers, they know which cars charged, for how long and when. They can easily reprogram them to limit to short top ups, but they don’t. They don’t need us to police each other, big company, endless resource.

We don’t all have a charger on a driveway, or anything like the ability to get that. People without home chargers will always need third party rapid chargers, and if Tesco want to soak up that cost, taking advantage of that is not wrong. Getting angry about it is pointless, it’s a situation that will get ‘worse’ before it improves and people like Tesco see that they either need to change the rules or install way more chargers than they have now.

I think both will happen.

This has the makings of a nice community, let’s not fracture it into factions of people arguing and name calling where it’s really not helpful.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Its hard to believe that Tesco free chargers can bring about such animosity.
It is a positive and good thing.
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I honestly believe that the installation of 4 useable 7kW charging points at a relatively large supermarket is a token gesture/box ticking exercise for environmental considerations.

It's probably enough for now as the vast majority of people who currently own an EV do so because they can fit a charger at home and have done so.

Once the people who can't install a charger at home are forced into EV ownership, you will see.a huge need for out and about chargers. At that point, is Tesco going to duck up the cost of installing 100 free chargers and all the electricity drawn? No chance. Those chargers will have paid for use then.

Anyone having the means to install a charger at home but chooses not to, and instead elects to commandeer a Tesco charger for 6 hours at a time a few times a week is being incredibly tight.

It may cost them in the long run when those Tesco chargers get busier and you've less chance of nabbing one, the £350 charger grant is likely to be long gone by then.

Slow chargers intended for short stays don't really offer a practical solution for people with EVs that don't have a charger, they need to hog them for many hours to get a reasonable charge.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:26 am
It may cost them in the long run when those Tesco chargers get busier and you've less chance of nabbing one, the £350 charger grant is likely to be long gone by then.
What are the odds when the £350 grant goes the price of an install will not increase by £350?
Charger prices may reduce in the long term.

For low milage users the payback time for a home charger is a number of years.
Some people can charge free at work and really cannot justify £500 for a home charger on economic terms (I view as a cost of the car so wil get one).
For these people an EV tariff may not even be worthwhile.
I was with Avro on a single daily rate as my night usage was low. The convenience of a single 24 hour lower rate was cheaper for me (I maintained a spreadsheet for comparison). I have now been moved back to Economy 7 with Octopus. What a pain having to switch on a dishwasher after 00:30 for a cheaper rate.

Tesco works fine for some. It is nothing to do with being "tight", but being pragmatic.
I am surprised the admininstrator allows the insults to be posted.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Good comments Cherry.
Lets keep the forum freindly.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
rawws

Post by rawws »

Daveion wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:17 am Its hard to believe that Tesco free chargers can bring about such animosity.
It is a positive and good thing.
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.
Well said , i just dont get the name calling i received its not affecting anyone , i do feel some so of ting of jealousy that someone else if charging their car for free and they arent. Just because a company offer a service for free doesn't mean its negative i dont get why some struggle to understand that.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their own decisions and opinions , those that call me names and a free loader this and that well i couldn't give two hoots about it and would not call them names, I am simply sharing my EV ID3 expericence.

Blimey i thought the EV community would be all positive experiences with each other god knows what happens when everyone drives EV's lol

To reiterate my points i see it as a win win all round ,

+ i get free charge and good exercise and dont have to install an unnecessary home charger when there is one available 5-10min walk away (if the chargers weren't free i would still happily pay and use them than have a home charger, cost of home charge for my mileage is overkill as i work from home 3 days a week, i use the charger off peak hours anyway, and should circumstance change i will install a home charger ie if my mileage increases etc and i need to charge everynight etc or if i find the podpoints are now often constantly used till then this is my position ) ,

+Tesco get a loyal customer and good publicity

+ Even VW the podpoint partner get good advertising when people see my car parked there it might make them want to get one too knowing that charges are available.

+ Overall the environment benefits

If anyone disagrees with the above thats their issue not mine and fine with me there are entitled to their views and i am also entitled to mine. Call me names all you want but i wont sink low to call anyone names on this usefull forum I come in peace as a fellow ID3 owner Ev driver :D
Last edited by rawws on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
Deleted User 192

"Entitled" is the key word, ie. those who have a false sense of it.
rawws

Post by rawws »

Daveion wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am Good comments Cherry.
Fully Agree
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

rawws wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:19 am
Daveion wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am Good comments Cherry.
Fully Agree
Spot on.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks Sherlock
If people coming to the forum find posts that are personal it will discourage input; the simple questions, the smart debates, technical question and answers, a feeling of unity as owners Members will not contribute.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 am "Entitled" is the key word, ie. those who have a false sense of it.
What is the key word when your comments are whittled down to nothing but insults?

Read the room Scott. Don’t do this.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Let it go.gif

2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Averloc

Post by Averloc »

I've only tried a couple of these free chargers - in different locations - and they both charged at 9 mph. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but..