In praise of lane assist

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I understand why a lot of folks get annoyed at having to turn off lane assist every time they get in the car. That's what I normally do. As we live in a rural location, I use lane assist off on the country roads and turn it on again when I hit main carriageways or motorways. But. I drove the car for the first time yesterday in the dark and lane assist was fantastic on our twisty country roads. It would still be better though, to be able to set the default to whatever you wanted.

Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

The reason you can't set it to default to the off position is its a safety feature that has an impact on the NCAP safety rating of the car. If you could just leave it off it would negate the safety feature and the car would score lower.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Splash-Man wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 am The reason you can't set it to default to the off position is its a safety feature that has an impact on the NCAP safety rating of the car. If you could just leave it off it would negate the safety feature and the car would score lower.
I just don't understand why that would be the case. So does that mean, all other cars (millions), have had their NCAP ratings reduced, as they won't have lane assist?
Doesn't make sense to me.
mish

Post by mish »

Scratch wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 am I understand why a lot of folks get annoyed at having to turn off lane assist every time they get in the car. That's what I normally do. As we live in a rural location, I use lane assist off on the country roads and turn it on again when I hit main carriageways or motorways. But. I drove the car for the first time yesterday in the dark and lane assist was fantastic on our twisty country roads. It would still be better though, to be able to set the default to whatever you wanted.
I have to drive narrow twisty roads every day. It's nice not to have to second guess if I am still on my side of the road. Much more relaxed that way. So even if I would never set it off, it just helps **to know** it's there. Some descriptions make it sound as if the car is trying to give you a fright, but I never experience it that way. On the roads I am driving I am aware that lane assist might kick in and the force of the nudge is just enough to get my attention. I agree that there should be a permanent setting for people who don't like it. 3 options: 1. Turn off permanently. 2. Turn off for this journey. 3. Always on.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Scratch wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am
Splash-Man wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 am The reason you can't set it to default to the off position is its a safety feature that has an impact on the NCAP safety rating of the car. If you could just leave it off it would negate the safety feature and the car would score lower.
I just don't understand why that would be the case. So does that mean, all other cars (millions), have had their NCAP ratings reduced, as they won't have lane assist?
Basically yes. Its not that they have their score reduced, its just not as high as it could be. Its amazing the little things that can score extra points such as seatbelt buzzers etc

More info lane assist available on the NCAP website.
https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-saf ... e-support/
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am
NCAP criteria gets tighter every year, but they dont retrospectively apply new criteria to old cars. A car that scored 5 stars 5 years ago won't have as many safety features as those scoring 5 on a new model out.

Most recent features like lane assist seem to be aimed at saving a driver not paying attention to the road ahead. Personally, I strongly dislike lane assist and have it turned off (OBD11 Mod for the car to remember you switched it off last time).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

This is only true of Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK). Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a driver assistance, not a EuroNCAP safety, feature and as such could happily have driver preferences applied without any loss of EuroNCAP stars.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
mish

Post by mish »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:43 am Most recent features like lane assist seem to be aimed at saving a driver not paying attention to the road ahead. Personally, I strongly dislike lane assist and have it turned off (OBD11 Mod for the car to remember you switched it off last time).
I guess it really depends on the type of road. Where I drive the roads are narrow and oncoming traffic is often driving on the centre line - there is no choice. Not paying attention is not the issue. It's really helpful to know if the car is close to crossing the road markings or not, especially at night / bad visibility due to rain. Maybe I find this harder to judge than others due to the short front of the car. I wouldn't want to drive without it anymore :)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

In case it makes anyone feel better, in one of Battery Life's recent videos he mentioned that in the Enyaq he is currently testing, it takes one more screen press to turn off lane assist than it does in the ID. cars. (Insert eye rolling emoji)

Still waiting on my ID.3 but have lane assist on my Octavia. It takes four button presses to turn it on/off via the steering wheel. It defaults to previous setting when the car turns on, but I regularly turn it on/off during a journey. It's useful on any motorway or well-maintained dual carriageway but doesn't work well at all on any single carriageway roads, it regularly thinks it has the white line but then drives me at the kerb (I'm assuming the ID system is better as this is a 2014 car.) What I would be interested in for my ID.3 when it arrives is not a way to change the default, but a software update that allowed you to set the lane assist menu as a shortcut so it only took 2 screen presses to turn it on/off. That would presumably still meet NCAP expectations.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.