Wheel size

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Generally speaking I prefer smaller wheels as you get a slightly better ride and are less likely to damage a tyre or even worse a wheel by driving too close to a kerb.
Our ID.3 Tour came with 19" wheels and Bridgestone tyres (presumably self-seal.)
If I get a second set of wheels with winter tyres on could I get 18" wheels?
If I do, can I get self-seal or run-flats or are those not available for 18" wheels?
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

Chivers

Post by Chivers »

My insurer says that if I fit wheels at all different to the originals they have to be informed. POO!
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
Black

Post by Black »

On my other car, BMW, I downsize for winter wheels.
No issues at all with the insurer so long as to a spec the manufacturer would offer. If it is change your insurance company.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Chivers wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:15 am My insurer says that if I fit wheels at all different to the originals they have to be informed. POO!
Normally you inform them and then there is no change to the cost. That is what I have been doing for years with many different insurance companies. Call them, say you are fitting manufacturer approved winter wheels and job done.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Fitted 17-inch wheels with lovely supple 65-section all-season tyres on my other car, to replace the 19-inch. Better ride over the vast number of deep potholes round here, reduced road noise an added bonus, really pleased with the outcome. Insurance company were informed, but no change in premium since the wheel size was on the manufacturer's 'this size fits your car' approved list.
id3 Max 2021
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I think the key point is manufacturer approved specification. Insurers don't like modifications. So third party wheels might not be so acceptable as VW original equipment.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
SwissBlue

Post by SwissBlue »

Hi Smitten

Hope you got some cash off the dealer, as the price has gone up, they are not offering cash reduction on finance, and they haven't got he cars.

I have a Pro Tour S 77kwh ordered 1/11/21, and expected build week 32, not holding my breath, but, as they are being offered at £5/6k more than I paid, If I cancel, I will expect money, or will take delivery and sell on. There are better EVs out there especially the EV6, but too big for my garage! shame