Car park scrape

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

I we oiled recommend chips away they did an amazing job on my CRV.
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete

Chivers

Post by Chivers »

3twins wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:59 pm A good part of that looks like it will polish out. Usually if you wet your finder and rub it over the mark if it disapears it will polish out.
I am sorry to see your car has been scraped. I will be very annoyed when this happens to me - as it will happen to us all sooner or later.

I partly agree with 3twins. Remember your car has some primers and undercoats underneath the grey colour coat, and then a coat of lacquer/varnish on top of that. The wet finger will often make scratches in the lacquer disappear, and these are the ones 3twins thinks will polish out. And any white paint from the other vehicle on top of your own paint can often be polished off.

My voice of sad experience :
1. Only attempt areas that show the other vehicle's paint, and also the areas that look like the scratch did not get through the laquer into the grey paint. If the grey paint is damaged shrug your shoulders or pretend you cannot see that part of the damage until the car gets to four years old, when you will not be so bothered by it. Maybe someone else will damage your car next year and you can get all the damage fixed cheaper then.
2. If you want to try - polish off with a small piece of knitted cotton from a roll at eg Halfords. Try only to polish the affected area. Change the cotton very often: it is cheap!
3. I use Brasso - very, very carefully and slowly. I try to avoid grinding right through the lacquer as the grey without lacquer will look different from paint with laquer, and worse than if you did nothing. Afterwards use wax polish or paint sealant.
4. Remember that in the past VW paint, particularly metallics, was famously thick. That is history. If you looked at a little stone chip in the paint on the front of my car, you would feel the paint is super-thin nowadays. That means you have to be super careful not to polish through the varnish...
5. If in doubt leave it alone. You can put some touch-up paint on it if it is on metal, or the touch-up varnish sold by eg Halfords. If, of course VW ever gets round to producing touch-up paint. So far I have been waiting 5 months for VW to make Scale Silver. Use the tiniest brush you can find at your local model shop., and have some thinners to clean the brush because the supplied brush is too thick and will make a mess and drip. You can also make it look worse by polishing it. Take your time
6. Otherwise take the good advice of others to use a professional.

Good luck.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .