ID3 Max Pro Charging Rates

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Chivers wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:34 am I agree that the charging rates on my car - v2.3 - have dropped since the autumn arrived. That's taking into account what we all know about charging rates from 20% compared to charging rates past 80%. But I do not know enough about the subject to know whether to blame the falling temperatures - or the car software.
If the batteries are cold at the time of the charge the management system will restrict the rate.

This is for DC rapid charging.

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Only change in rates I’ve seen since v2.3 is a reduction on the home charger from 29mph to 24-25mph as the cold weather bites.

Hadn’t noticed how much it drops on a rapid charger the nearer it gets to 100% until yesterday. Started at 192mph at 30%, was down at at 60mph when nearing 100%.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Leccy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:22 pm Only change in rates I’ve seen since v2.3 is a reduction on the home charger from 29mph to 24-25mph as the cold weather bites.

Hadn’t noticed how much it drops on a rapid charger the nearer it gets to 100% until yesterday. Started at 192mph at 30%, was down at at 60mph when nearing 100%.

So that’s just a reduction in your predicted range, nothing to do with the rate of charge, nothing to do with 2.3. I saw the same last winter.

Say in summer your predicted range is 240 miles and you see a charge rate of 30mph, that just means you’re adding 12.5% per hour and it would take 8 hours to go from 0%-100%

If in winter your predicted range drops to 200 miles and you see a charge rate of 25mph, that still means you’re adding 12.5% per hour and it will still take 8 hours to go from 0%-100%
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Yeah, I did wonder if my charger was working less efficiently or that the battery was drawing charge less efficiently in the cold, but given the mph reduction is an exact reflection of the winter range reduction and it doesn’t take any longer to charge, it did dawn on me.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster