Setting departure time 04.30

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Lond_ID3

Post by Lond_ID3 »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it harmful to set a departure time of 04.30 if I’m leaving at 07.15?

The cabin temp will probably go back to near outside temp but I hope it might be a bit less cold, the windscreen might have defrosted a bit and it will be at Octopus Go rates.

The car will only precondition when charging.

I’m ok with it being a pointless false economy as long as it’s not bad for the battery 🙂

steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

If you set the departure time for 04,30 the car will run the heater and screens for 30 minutes from that time. The departure time is actually the time the heater starts up so odd wording. We find if you set it 10 minutes before your departure time, whether plugged in and charging or not the car is warm and fully defrosted. I think I have read on here that battery preconditioning only occurs when you are driving. The car takes about 1.8kWh to warm up at first but this would drop as the heater reaches your set temperature. At Octopus Go rates this would cost under 5p but on a frosty morning the car would probably freeze up again before you leave. I would just set it for 07.05 and the cabin will be toasty and the screens and mirrors defrosted if set. Take care setting the timer as it often takes a couple of goes for it to sync due to the phone-VW-car-VW-phone connections. As long as the day and time stay on after a minute or so you are all set.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

3 hours in advance, I don't think it's worth doing.

The car will pre-condition whether it's charging or not, it will just consume battery power that will not get replenished.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Anyone who thinks I can predict my departure time to within 30 minutes has never met my wife 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Looking forward to that feature for my occasional 0515 departures next winter.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 am If you set the departure time for 04,30 the car will run the heater and screens for 30 minutes from that time. The departure time is actually the time the heater starts up so odd wording. We find if you set it 10 minutes before your departure time, whether plugged in and charging or not the car is warm and fully defrosted. I think I have read on here that battery preconditioning only occurs when you are driving. The car takes about 1.8kWh to warm up at first but this would drop as the heater reaches your set temperature. At Octopus Go rates this would cost under 5p but on a frosty morning the car would probably freeze up again before you leave. I would just set it for 07.05 and the cabin will be toasty and the screens and mirrors defrosted if set. Take care setting the timer as it often takes a couple of goes for it to sync due to the phone-VW-car-VW-phone connections. As long as the day and time stay on after a minute or so you are all set.
“ The departure time is actually the time the heater starts up so odd wording.”
Are you sure about that? I think this function is basically the “ the stationary air conditioning ” system. The manual states:

On the basis of the desired temperature, the vehicle calculates the time at which the stationary air conditioning must be switched on in order to achieve the desired temperature at the departure time.

Sorry if I have misunstood this but I believe this is what I experience when I set it.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

You could be right but when I set it for my departure time the car was still frozen so I set it for about 10 minutes before I leave. The inside might be up to the desired temperature but the windscreen must need a little longer. It's been great so far so I'm not going to change things.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Utumno wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:15 am Anyone who thinks I can predict my departure time to within 30 minutes has never met my wife 😂
Brilliant! :P :P :P :P
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Sparky wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:27 pm
Utumno wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:15 am Anyone who thinks I can predict my departure time to within 30 minutes has never met my wife 😂
Same here. I'm sooooo glad I have a start button for the AC on the app. After 48 years I know her stages of departure well enough to get the timing right. :D
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 pm
Sparky wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:27 pm
Same here. I'm sooooo glad I have a start button for the AC on the app. After 48 years I know her stages of departure well enough to get the timing right. :D

48 years, good on you both. You'd get fewer years for murder.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Lond_ID3

Post by Lond_ID3 »

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense

Have a PodPoint charger and getting timed charging to work was a bit fiddly so might have to set the charger window 00.30 to 7.15 and not let battery run down to need more than 4 hours of charge…. Shouldn’t be a big problem

I know some posts have said 20% drop in range winter but my Miles/KWH have gone from about 4 in summer to 1.5 on short trips at under 5 degrees - with only intermittent heating - so I think it’s time for me to stop obsessing about efficiency and just enjoy a toasty warm car with heated seats and steering and wonder how I ever lived without….
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Lond_ID3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:38 pm I think it’s time for me to stop obsessing about efficiency and just enjoy a toasty warm car with heated seats and steering and wonder how I ever lived without….

This is the way. I well remember my sisters freezing to (metaphorical) death in my Dad's old gen1 Leaf because he was trying to eke out maximum range for literally no reason except he'd got obsessed with efficiency and moaning about public charging infrastructure.

He bought a Model 3 to replace it, hasn't frozen the family since, and is far happier not stressing about hypermiling every last kWh.

Let it go 😀
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Lond_ID3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:38 pm Thanks - that makes a lot of sense

Have a PodPoint charger and getting timed charging to work was a bit fiddly so might have to set the charger window 00.30 to 7.15 and not let battery run down to need more than 4 hours of charge…. Shouldn’t be a big problem

I know some posts have said 20% drop in range winter but my Miles/KWH have gone from about 4 in summer to 1.5 on short trips at under 5 degrees - with only intermittent heating - so I think it’s time for me to stop obsessing about efficiency and just enjoy a toasty warm car with heated seats and steering and wonder how I ever lived without….
It's something that most of seem to do after a while but 1.5 miles/kW does seem a bit low.
I am using the pod point solo but just hit the start button on the app to preheat the car 15 to 20 mins before I set off. Maybe that would help your consumption.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Lond_ID3 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:38 pm I think it’s time for me to stop obsessing about efficiency and just enjoy a toasty warm car with heated seats and steering and wonder how I ever lived without….

Unless you need the range for a longer journey, absolutely.

I'm happy to lose a few % to pre-heat the cabin (and clear the windscreen) on a typical day - the only time I charge outside of my off-peak window is if I want to set off at 100% with a pre-heated cabin.