Reflections on first seven weeks of ownership.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
daveevans8

Post by daveevans8 »

Just thought I would reflect on the first seven weeks of ownership. Nothing technical just some observations and likes and dislikes.

Following the initial issue with both screens blanking and having to be returned to dealer after 4 days of ownership the car has not thrown up any other majors issues apart from a a squeaking panoramic roof which I will book in for repair in the New Year.

I find the car a joy to drive - smooth, quiet and very refined feel to the ride quality. Entertainment system and software generally feels more sorted than the model I test drove as it came wit V2.6 loaded on delivery. I like being able to leave the key in my pocket and just get in the car, engage D and drive away with no fuss at all. Heating/air conditioning work fine.Absolutely love the matrix lights, they should be fitted on every car in the country! When I pull out of the junction onto the final straight into the village the way the lights expand is stunning (if only it made a suitably Star Wars type noise :-(

Charging has not been an issue as all but one have been at home. A combination of a Wallbox Polar Plus and Octopus GO tariff has seen our mileage costs plummet. Cannot help but engage 'smug mode' every time I pass a fuel station. We have downsized to just the one vechile so the savings are very impressive. Charged away from home in Abergavenny with little drama but not sure how I feel about longer journeys having red some of concerns about lack of chargers/out of order chargers and queues at the charging station. Still exploring this issue but are currently planning a trip down through France next year.

The major problem I have is just how much I loathe Lane Assist - I hate it with a vengeance and wish I can turn it off completely..... made more problematic as my wife really likes it. Just as well she uses the car far more than me. In retirement she still has a life whilst I sit at home like Nobby No Mates.

Overall I am confident that we made the right choice going fulyl electric but have to admit it is a very Middle Class hobby. Initial costs plus need for space for home charging (IMO) will preclude a large number of drivers being able to consider switching. Public charging would not be a viable option in my part of the world - there are four chargers in Devizes which haven't been in use for nearly 2 years....

Final thought. If the Kia EV6 had been slightly lower in price I think I would have gone for one. Maybe next time......

sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

daveevans8 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:53 pm Overall I am confident that we made the right choice going fulyl electric but have to admit it is a very Middle Class hobby. Initial costs plus need for space for home charging (IMO) will preclude a large number of drivers being able to consider switching. Public charging would not be a viable option in my part of the world - there are four chargers in Devizes which haven't been in use for nearly 2 years....
Interesting, as I'm very far from 'middle class'. The initial costs for me were minimal through PCP, and the monthly payment is equivalent to what some people would otherwise spend on nights out/frivolities in a month.

Based on your part of the world being mentioned as Devizes, there are several up the road in and around Chippenham, all in working order - several in the new multi-storey next to the council, two in the new Lidl, two in the new Aldi. Whilst a 20 mile or so round trip would be impractical for charging purposes only, if someone adjust their shopping/recreation, it would work out reasonably fine.

I think that's the issue with most of the EV ownership stuff - for it to work for some people, they'd have to make adjustments. I say that, knowing that the types who comment on EV adverts on facebook make up excuses that would just become others if they were debunked anyway, but plenty possible for others.

I have a neighbour who has not long gone out and bought a big expensive diesel luxo-barge, 2nd hand, that would have been the same price as an EV. He tends to use the 'no place to put a charge point' argument as a reason for sticking with ICE, but I swear he must only ever travel in a 15 mi radius, and I think only managed 30k in the 11 years he had his prior car brand new.
Evilsuperhero

Post by Evilsuperhero »

We have had our ID3 a similar length of time to you and my husband says that he finds driving it a very calming experience! I know what he means as it’s a lovely drive and you do feel as though you’re gliding everywhere.

We both loathed lane assist for the first few weeks but now we mind it less.

The only thing I would change is better rear visibility - that camera is very much needed.

Charging wise we’ve had no problems. We always drive in B mode to benefit from the regenerative breaking - definitely worth doing.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Evilsuperhero wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:37 am We have had our ID3 a similar length of time to you and my husband says that he finds driving it a very calming experience! I know what he means as it’s a lovely drive and you do feel as though you’re gliding everywhere.

The only thing I would change is better rear visibility - that camera is very much needed.

Charging wise we’ve had no problems. We always drive in B mode to benefit from the regenerative breaking - definitely worth doing.
You get regenerative braking whether in B or D.. B just automatically applies a let's call it 'slowing effect' if your not pressing the accelerator.. All retardation under about -0.25g is regenerative.

Personally - I've seen little to convince me that D isn't as efficient if you drive far enough ahead to make use of coasting.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The only situation in which B is more efficient than D is if you're an awful driver that cannot plan more than 20 yards in front of you, braking hard every time you need to stop.

If you plan ahead and rarely brake beyond the regen zone (pay attention to the green bar) then D will be more efficient. Its more efficient to preserve momentum when you can rather than be constantly trying to recover it the moment you lift off the accelerator.

I find B mode just awful.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 am The only situation in which B is more efficient than D is if you're an awful driver that cannot plan more than 20 yards in front of you, braking hard every time you need to stop.

If you plan ahead and rarely brake beyond the regen zone (pay attention to the green bar) then D will be more efficient. Its more efficient to preserve momentum when you can rather than be constantly trying to recover it the moment you lift off the accelerator.

It's not that bad when in slow moving traffic.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Evilsuperhero wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:37 am We have had our ID3 a similar length of time to you and my husband says that he finds driving it a very calming experience! I know what he means as it’s a lovely drive and you do feel as though you’re gliding everywhere.

You get regenerative braking whether in B or D.. B just automatically applies a let's call it 'slowing effect' if your not pressing the accelerator.. All retardation under about -0.25g is regenerative.

Personally - I've seen little to convince me that D isn't as efficient if you drive far enough ahead to make use of coasting.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 am The only situation in which B is more efficient than D is if you're an awful driver that cannot plan more than 20 yards in front of you, braking hard every time you need to stop.
If you plan ahead and rarely brake beyond the regen zone (pay attention to the green bar) then D will be more efficient.Its more efficient to preserve momentum when you can rather than be constantly trying to recover it the moment you lift off the accelerator.
Unfortunately even if you're a good driver, you cannot anticipate what other drivers will, or will not do, on a single track road; where sometimes 20 yards is the furthest you can see before the road vanishes around a bend!
I drive single track roads most of the time (locally we have just one twin track road ie ‘normal’ A road, and even that one is narrower than most will be used to) I've had several near misses where the oncoming driver has failed to stop in a passing place.
I use B mode on all but our only A road.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

daveevans8 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:53 pm Just thought I would reflect on the first seven weeks of ownership. Nothing technical just some observations and likes and dislikes.

Following the initial issue with both screens blanking and having to be returned to dealer after 4 days of ownership the car has not thrown up any other majors issues apart from a a squeaking panoramic roof which I will book in for repair in the New Year.

I find the car a joy to drive - smooth, quiet and very refined feel to the ride quality. Entertainment system and software generally feels more sorted than the model I test drove as it came wit V2.6 loaded on delivery. I like being able to leave the key in my pocket and just get in the car, engage D and drive away with no fuss at all. Heating/air conditioning work fine.Absolutely love the matrix lights, they should be fitted on every car in the country! When I pull out of the junction onto the final straight into the village the way the lights expand is stunning (if only it made a suitably Star Wars type noise :-(

Charging has not been an issue as all but one have been at home. A combination of a Wallbox Polar Plus and Octopus GO tariff has seen our mileage costs plummet. Cannot help but engage 'smug mode' every time I pass a fuel station. We have downsized to just the one vechile so the savings are very impressive. Charged away from home in Abergavenny with little drama but not sure how I feel about longer journeys having red some of concerns about lack of chargers/out of order chargers and queues at the charging station. Still exploring this issue but are currently planning a trip down through France next year.

The major problem I have is just how much I loathe Lane Assist - I hate it with a vengeance and wish I can turn it off completely..... made more problematic as my wife really likes it. Just as well she uses the car far more than me. In retirement she still has a life whilst I sit at home like Nobby No Mates.

Overall I am confident that we made the right choice going fulyl electric but have to admit it is a very Middle Class hobby. Initial costs plus need for space for home charging (IMO) will preclude a large number of drivers being able to consider switching. Public charging would not be a viable option in my part of the world - there are four chargers in Devizes which haven't been in use for nearly 2 years....

Final thought. If the Kia EV6 had been slightly lower in price I think I would have gone for one. Maybe next time......
"it came wit V2.6 loaded on delivery." Is that V2.6 a typo and should be V2.3 or is there another new version on the way before V3.0 for those of us on V2.3 now?
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Sherlock wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:07 pm "it came wit V2.6 loaded on delivery." Is that V2.6 a typo and should be V2.3 or is there another new version on the way before V3.0 for those of us on V2.3 now?
There's definitely at least one other (2.4), as per viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1607
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Sherlock wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:07 pm "it came wit V2.6 loaded on delivery." Is that V2.6 a typo and should be V2.3 or is there another new version on the way before V3.0 for those of us on V2.3 now?

2.3 is the latest version, there will be a 2.4 and there will be a 3.0 - but not yet.
daveevans8

Post by daveevans8 »

Typo - apologies.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

daveevans8 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:18 pm Typo - apologies.
Thanks for confirming.
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 am
I get the impression they made D and B less user confusing for their EV bottom up designed cars, than the EGolf for example.
The EGolf regens only in B mode and that has three levels of regen.
Our experience/impression after an extended test drive of the ID3 was the following:
1. ID3 D mode regen - similar to - B mode first level (gentle) regen of the EGolf.
2. ID3 B mode regen - similar to - B mode third level (aggressive) regen of the EGolf

We use EGolf B mode third level (aggressive) when driving in traffic/around town etc. Hardly have to touch the brake.
We use EGolf D mode when the potential for “sailing” is a possibility, like fast roads, dual carriageways, snuggling in safely behind a lorry, motorways etc.

During warm months and driving in B mode it has not been unknown for us to arrive back at home with more miles “available” than when we left. Very rare but not unknown.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I'm very jealous! Can't wait to get ours. We enjoyed the test drive so much and look forwards to a similar experience as yourselves.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

EVOWNER101 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:52 pm
I get the impression they made D and B less user confusing for their EV bottom up designed cars, than the EGolf for example.
Our experience/impression after an extended test drive of the ID3 was the following:
1. ID3 D mode regen - similar to - B mode first level (gentle) regen of the EGolf.
2. ID3 B mode regen - similar to - B mode third level (aggressive) regen of the EGolf

We use EGolf B mode third level (aggressive) when driving in traffic/around town etc. Hardly have to touch the brake.
We use EGolf D mode when the potential for “sailing” is a possibility, like fast roads, dual carriageways, snuggling in safely behind a lorry, motorways etc.

During warm months and driving in B mode it has not been unknown for us to arrive back at home with more miles “available” than when we left. Very rare but not unknown.
"During warm months and driving in B mode it has not been unknown for us to arrive back at home with more miles “available” than when we left. Very rare but not unknown."
Have you achieved perpetual motion? That must be the holy grail for motoring.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:53 am
EVOWNER101 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:52 pm

"During warm months and driving in B mode it has not been unknown for us to arrive back at home with more miles “available” than when we left. Very rare but not unknown."
I've not experienced that on the ID3 but had a BMW i3 for a week last Autumn and that happened twice in 7 days. Lucky with weather and combination of journeys the range on return to home was greater. Guessometer for you!
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:53 am
More miles as I guess it suddenly got warmer, but not more state of charge which is what really matters?
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:44 am
More miles as I guess it suddenly got warmer, but not more state of charge which is what really matters?
To anyone who knows because they own one, the indication for “state of charge” in the EGolf is just a dial so the accuracy of the indication in that respect is a little difficult to ascertain. Within the menus there may be an equivalent digital readout but I have never found it. The “science” behind it all is not something I can comment on. What I can say is that it has only ever occurred in the summer, when travelling in town locally during the day and so no real marked/noticeable difference in the temp. The miles available indication is either the same start to finish or (if more) then very minimal for sure. Of course this is all quite possibly within some sort of degree of appropriate error for the technology involved. What I can say is that the first time it happened and for schoolboy curiosity non-scientific purposes, I did retrace my steps but this time driving in D mode all the way. For this repeat journey the miles left available afterwards equated roughly to the miles available at the start minus the miles actually travelled. Again read into that what you like for non scientific purposes.
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:53 am Have you achieved perpetual motion? That must be the holy grail for motoring.
Nope that really would be the holly grail for any transportation :D
But it can be fun on a trip slip streaming safely behind suitable vehicles for reasonable distances and at destination reviewing how much it has impacted the m/kWh averages. Can help with boring journeys for sure.