How to pre heat the battery before you leave

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Slathe

Post by Slathe »

I have read on here (at least I thought I had) that you can’t pre heat the battery but only the cabin. Why is this?

I haven’t got my car yet but was thinking of charging my car at night at about 4am and then set the preheat cabin for 7am, then leave at about 7:20am. Wouldn’t the battery be heated from charging? Would that bring the battery up to a good temperature?

I have never had an EV before so no experience in this.

mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

If you don't have your car yet, cars built after Dec 2021 will have battery preheating.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
magsto

Post by magsto »

Do you know if cars manufactured before Dec 21 will get battery pre-heating as a software update or offered to add something in the car to make it work?
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

The only facts are 7: https://shaping-mobility.volkswagen.com ... 5674676236

However, 2.4 and the battery recall is going to make more things upgradable, so there's hope.
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

mediaguy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:01 pm The only facts are 7: https://shaping-mobility.volkswagen.com ... 5674676236

However, 2.4 and the battery recall is going to make more things upgradable, so there's hope.
Battery recall ?

We just took delivery 2 days ago, I'm assuming its not a battery pre-heat model .. but battery recall ??
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

itsjon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 pm
mediaguy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:01 pm The only facts are 7: https://shaping-mobility.volkswagen.com ... 5674676236

Battery recall ?

We just took delivery 2 days ago, I'm assuming its not a battery pre-heat model .. but battery recall ??
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1463
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Does anyone know,if when preheating the car whilst plugged in, if you decide to leave a bit earlier than the time you set for preheat to end, can you just unplug the car from the EVSE, or is there something you should stop first before unplugging.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:50 pm Does anyone know,if when preheating the car whilst plugged in, if you decide to leave a bit earlier than the time you set for preheat to end, can you just unplug the car from the EVSE, or is there something you should stop first before unplugging.
The thread title is a bit misleading but........
Cabin Pre Heat
I do what you are asking regularly.
Double click at the car and unplug.
Right or wrong never had a problem.
30 mins pre heat seems generous. I find between 15 and 20 minutes is enough even down to a few degrees.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Daveion wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:38 pm
Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:50 pm Does anyone know,if when preheating the car whilst plugged in, if you decide to leave a bit earlier than the time you set for preheat to end, can you just unplug the car from the EVSE, or is there something you should stop first before unplugging.
Cabin Pre Heat
30 mins pre heat seems generous. I find between 15 and 20 minutes is enough even down to a few degrees.
Double click at the car? What does double click do as opposed to single click? (I assume you mean on the remote and not your heels? It is German you know! :? )
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:52 am
Cabin Pre Heat
Double click at the car? What does double click do as opposed to single click? (I assume you mean on the remote and not your heels? It is German you know! :? )
I assume..
Depending on how you have convenience opening configured.. 1 click - one door, 2 clicks all doors, 3 clicks all doors and release charge cable.
or 1 click all doors, 2 clicks all doors release charging cable
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Correct.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:12 am
Scratch wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:52 am

Cabin Pre Heat
I assume..
Depending on how you have convenience opening configured.. 1 click - one door, 2 clicks all doors, 3 clicks all doors and release charge cable.
or 1 click all doors, 2 clicks all doors release charging cable
Ah. OK. I forgot about it being be configurable.