Pre Sales

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CatManDo

Post by CatManDo »

Hi all,

I am choosing my new car and have shortlisted it to:

150kW Family Pro Performance 58kWh 5dr Auto 2022
107KW Family Pro 58kWh 5dr Auto 2022

Can someone please explain the differences? Is it just down to power? Is the battery and range the same on both? Also what does the 150KW & 107KW mean?

If I go for the Pro version and not Performance then I can have 2K worth of extras, one would be alloy wheels, any other recommendations please?
Sorry for all the questions!
Last edited by CatManDo on Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yup. Just the power. 150 vs 200 bhp etc…
CatManDo

Post by CatManDo »

MotMot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:34 pm Yup. Just the power. 150 vs 200 bhp etc…
Thank you!

Can you recommend any extra's on this Trim?
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Until VW change the price of the Pro Performance (which they absolutely will do as they only need to bring it down by £21), it may be a £3k difference between the two cars as the government grant now caps out at £32k.

I presume you don't fancy matric headlights otherwise you would have gone for family. So you need to see if you want Assistance Plus for self-driving down major roads with good road makings, automatic parking and side assist. I've got for the HUD too. The massage seats are only available for Life or Max, so you have that option too.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
CatManDo

Post by CatManDo »

mediaguy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:54 pm Until VW change the price of the Pro Performance (which they absolutely will do as they only need to bring it down by £21), it may be a £3k difference between the two cars as the government grant now caps out at £32k.

I presume you don't fancy matric headlights otherwise you would have gone for family. So you need to see if you want Assistance Plus for self-driving down major roads with good road makings, automatic parking and side assist. I've got for the HUD too. The massage seats are only available for Life or Max, so you have that option too.
I am so sorry it';s the Family I was looking at, have just amended the post:

So I was comparing the Family Pro Performance against the Life Pro! I'm waiting for a quote now for Family Pro Performance vs Family Pro but the difference won't be that great, hopefully enough spare to get me alloys!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

150kW equals 204PS (the matrix version of bhp)
107kW equals 145PS

It’s a heavy car, depending in what you’re coming from the 107kW might be enough for you - it wouldn’t have been for me as my previous car had over 230bhp.

Batteries on both are 58kWh usable.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:31 pm 150kW equals 204PS (the matrix version of bhp)
107kW equals 145PS

It’s a heavy car, depending in what you’re coming from the 107kW might be enough for you - it wouldn’t have been for me as my previous car had over 230bhp.

Batteries on both are 58kWh usable.
The perfornance penalty is little to none for the additional weight, down to transmission differences between ICE and EV.

A 201ps MK8 Golf GTD does 0-62mph in 7.1s, almost identical official performance figures to the 150kW/204ps ID3, despite the ID3 being close to 500kg heavier.

A 200ps ICE car will only see 160-170ps at the wheels. There'svery little lost between motor and wheels on an EV with the lack of clutches and gearboxes. So that 1850kg 204ps ID3 performs like a 200ps /1350kg ICE car or a 230ps 1800kg ICE car.

It nmakes it easy to compare ICE and EV of same output as the extra weight is pretty much negated by the much lower drivetrain losses.

If you're used to a 150ps Golf or equivalent, a 150ps ID3 will do fine. For me though, I'd rather go with 204ps, I haven't had a car with less than 170ps since 2007.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Both pro and performance have the same peak torque.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

CatManDo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:29 pm Hi all,

I am choosing my new car and have shortlisted it to:

Can someone please explain the differences? Is it just down to power? Is the battery and range the same on both? Also what does the 150KW & 107KW mean?

If I go for the Pro version and not Performance then I can have 2K worth of extras, one would be alloy wheels, any other recommendations please?
Sorry for all the questions!
My previous car was a mk7 Golf GT Edition which had around 147bhp and I've now got a Life Pro. Once you had the turbo spinning up on the Golf, there's a difference, but not that much difference between the Golf and the ID.3, BUT... the torque on the ID.3 makes it feel a far more responsive, smoother car all the time, without having to be at a certain revs. The drive is so much more effortless, but the all-round torque is what really makes the difference between an EV and an ICE, in my humble opinion.
Take one out for a test drive and decide for yourself - you're the one who'll be paying for it and living with it! 😁 Happy hunting.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
CatManDo

Post by CatManDo »

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I currently have a Golf R-Line 7.5 1.5 Turbo Petrol.
Think I am going to go for the Family Pro Performance, no money left over for extras so going to have to live with those steel wheels!
Busman

Post by Busman »

Hi there,can any one tell me whether or not the Regen button actually works ,is there any recovery of energy.Can you leave it on all of the time.Is it safe ,as When I test drove ,the brakes where being overly applied when I took my foot off the accelerator and to me that could be potential to be reared ended .Any views.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Busman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:01 pm Hi there,can any one tell me whether or not the Regen button actually works ,is there any recovery of energy.Can you leave it on all of the time.Is it safe ,as When I test drove ,the brakes where being overly applied when I took my foot off the accelerator and to me that could be potential to be reared ended .Any views.
You want to try regen in the likes of a Tesla Model 3! Proper one foot driving.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Busman

Post by Busman »

Thanks but that was not an answer to my question.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Busman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:01 pm Hi there,can any one tell me whether or not the Regen button actually works ,is there any recovery of energy.Can you leave it on all of the time.Is it safe ,as When I test drove ,the brakes where being overly applied when I took my foot off the accelerator and to me that could be potential to be reared ended .Any views.
Yes there is recovery of energy back to the battery.
Yes its safe to leave it on all of the time but is down to preference if you are driving long distance with little or no braking likely to be involved.
There shouldn't be an issue with being rear ended as the brake lights are applied when the regen braking takes effect so its no different to normal braking in an ICE car.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

You can select D or B drive.
In D the car coasts or "sails" as VW describe it when you take your foot off of the accelerator.
In B you have regen braking when you lift your foot from the accelerator.
Yes regen works and is visible in the instrument readings as you drive.
Is the regen braking aggressive? I would say not.
Its not like stamping on the brake. It feels right for the speed you are travelling and can be moderated via the accelerator pedal.
Had mine a year now and never had to worry about traffic coming up behind me due to braking too hard.
I think what you describe is first impressions of one-pedal driving. Not having braking under your right foot is a bit strange at first but you very soon adapt.
A common thread on the forum has been owners preferences of driving in D or B.
In D, without other assists in place like ACC it drives as any other car with braking with right foot.
The initial pedal pressure initiates regen braking and heavier braking thereafter is mechanical.
Hope that a makes sense.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Busman

Post by Busman »

Thank you for that answer
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

B mode with regeneration is for driving around town/stop start motoring. Its quite mild compared to one pedal you get on Mini/Leaf/Tesla and others. As the car slows you get some charge as you are effectively using the motor like a dynamo. Depending on the amount of regeneration the brake lights come on. The threshold of brake light activation the rate of deceleration - the more rapidly you are slowing the more likely the lights will come on to prevent the issue you mentioned. Once out on the motorway or dual carraigeway for longer periods it is more efficient to "glide" and take the car out of B mode. Does that help?
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Smitten wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:32 pm
It's quite mild compared to one pedal you get on Mini/Leaf/Tesla and others.
Careful now...
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

What regen button?

D mode applies regen only when the car knows it needs to slow down anyway, or when you press the “pause” pedal - otherwise it coasts.

B mode applies regen whenever you lift your foot from the “power” pedal - either partially or fully.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

andrewparker wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Smitten wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:32 pm
It's quite mild compared to one pedal you get on Mini/Leaf/Tesla and others.
Careful now...
Well I have driven those cars as well as an ID3 and e208 and I would describe the effect with one pedal type regeneration as more dramatic and sudden than B mode on either the ID3 or e208. Not sure how much greater the regen is though...so mild seemed an appropriate description?
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6